If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 35: SaGa Quest VII - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest, Michael Baker reminds us of more unlocalized Metal Max games. We also discuss the new SaGa game.

Episode 35: SaGa Quest VII - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    wow, this episode is a real lunker. My only comment is that I'm sad there isn't more musical interludes between subjects. Although, in the case of a lot of this episode, you just never really know when a topic is done.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Yeah... no work that day left me free to ramble on and on and on.... ;)
  • Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    I loved this episode. You guys make Saga sound so amazing! I only ever play final fantasy adventure on the game boy so I have limited experience, but you're making me want to try one of these spacey games out.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I think the original first game on the game boy was my favorite. Mistrel song the most polished and produced of the lot though.
    Video game music is largely without lyrics. With some exceptions, most of those soundtracks with lyrics are highly regarded. Do you think lyrics should be used more, or do they tend to get repetive?
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    Budai wrote: »
    Video game music is largely without lyrics. With some exceptions, most of those soundtracks with lyrics are highly regarded. Do you think lyrics should be used more, or do they tend to get repetive?

look up Blue Dragon's boss theme and imagine hearing it every boss battle on repeat for like 10 minutes. I think that is the best example of why lyrics should be used sparingly.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited September 2016
    I'll just imagine it's Nyan cat instead, because that sounds right. As a counterpoint, although I would generally agree that lyrics should be used sparingly, Persona 3 and 4 manage to use them in battle music and still have catchy tunes without detriment.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    The Persona and Atelier series have had some excellent luck with that.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    wow, this episode is a real lunker.

I feel like we need another host on this show whose only function is to constantly look at a watch and shake his head in our general direction.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    RPGs are getting longer and longer all the time. Do you think this is just developers visions for the project, or do you think it's purposesly done to have a perceived higher value. Do you think this is true for other genre of games or not?
    Breath of fire 6-discuss
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited October 2016
    I asked a similar question a while ago, though I don't believe it was answered. I'll make it more general.

Does it ever seem like the lead character in most given RPGs tend to be the least interesting of the cast? They tend to have general, nondescript personalities, and this is ignoring Heroic Mimes. In which games did you consider the lead to be your favorite character, or at least not boring?
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited October 2016
    I asked a similar question a while ago, though I don't believe it was answered. I'll make it more general.

Does it ever seem like the lead character in most given RPGs tend to be the least interesting of the cast? They tend to have general, nondescript personalities, and this is ignoring Heroic Mimes. In which games did you consider the lead to be your favorite character, or at least not boring?

I have an opinion on this. I think in a lot of fiction they tend to make the main character a sort of every man, that the player or reader can relate to and see as themselves. So those characters tend to have a neutral personality, opposed to side characters who usually have more quirks. For the ones that I really do consider the most interesting would be Cecil from FF4. I could make an argument for celes in ff6 but that's a stretch.
    edited October 2016
    Who is the main character of ff6? What about 12?
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited October 2016
    I think th
    Budai wrote: »

I have an opinion on this. I think in a lot of fiction they tend to make the main character a sort of every man, that the player or reader can relate to and see as themselves. So those characters tend to have a neutral personality, opposed to side characters who usually have more quirks. For the ones that I really do consider the most interesting would be Cecil from FF4. I could make an argument for celes in ff6 but that's a stretch.

I think that Final Fantasy (prior to FF12, which I think actually does this) is a bad example for that phenomenon. I think it happens in a lot of RPGs, but in Final Fantasy, the main character is usually at least one of the more interesting characters in the game. They rarely have nondescript personalities. Yes, you could make that case for Cecil, since he tends toward the stereotypical "heroic" personality, but considering that he starts off as a soldier who was "just following orders" with a guilty conscience about it, I'd say he has enough interesting about him to break from the mold. I would say calling Celes the main character of FF6 is a stretch (although Celes as co-main character is a much more reasonable argument than the typical "there is no main character" line).
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.