If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

All the games! Overload! RE;Birth2 No new games 2017!

lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accidentHalifaxRPGamer Staff
edited November 2016 in Role Playing Games
Hiya everyone! August was a bust. I'll be the first to admit that an unhealthy obsession with obtaining all the gear and exp in WoW ruined my blitz. At first I was thinking that I should just let it go and do my thing. But that was a passing thought. Time for action.

Like August, my intention is to beat a crap load of games. I started up way too many, many of them very long, and I just don't put enough time into them to finish them in this decade. So, it's a blitz! Try to complete as many of these games as I can while also still playing new games like Yo-kai Watch and October releases. Let's see how I do.

Well, I'm gonna try again. even if it takes me all 2017, I will complete all these games!

The list, if you please.

Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita)
Conception 2 (Vita)
Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3/Vita)
Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
Persona 4 Golden (Vita)
Bravely Second (3DS)
Legend of Legacy (3DS)
Persona Q (3DS)
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold (3DS)
Etrian Mystery Dungeon (3DS)
Fantasy Life (3DS)
Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS)
Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse (3DS)
Dragon Quest Heroes (PS4)
South Park Stick of Truth (PS3)
Atelier Rorona Plus (PS3)
Bowser's Inside Story (DS)
7th Dragon III (3DS)
SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS)
Dragon Quest 7 (3DS)
Trails in the Sky 1 (PSP)
Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP)
Megadimension Neptunia V II (PS4)
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
Xenoblade Chronicles X (WII U)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Wii U)
Final Fantasy Type 0 (PS4)
Inazuma Eleven (3DS)
Star Ocean V (PS4)
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy (PS3)
Suikoden (PS1)
Suikoden 2 (PS1)
Tales of Symphonia (PS3)
Tales of Symphonia 2 (PS3)

So, this may not be a complete list, but it's close enough for now. I will share my thoughts as I play through these games and welcome others to start destroying backlogs and tackling new releases. Streaming is a possibilty in some of these things. I don't know what or when, but I'll figure that out. I'm pretty sure World of Final Fantasy comes out in October so I'll probably be streaming that at some point.

If anyone is interested in me streaming, I can stream PS1-4 and Wii U (including Wii). Lots I can stream.
lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
this is my twitter! come twit with me

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    It is okay, lolwhoops, I also kind of failed. I set out to beat five games from my backlog and only managed to beat two, with one extra game that wasn't even on my list for the month (Her Story, which was damn worth it). Soooooo... I will also modestly participate again, and I'll put up five games I'd like to try to complete in October. I'll be happy though if I complete another two or so.

Dragon Quest IX (DS)
    Steins;Gate (PS3)
    Assassin's Creed Unity (PS4)
    Zenith (PS4)
    Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (PS4)

I think some of this is do-able. Zenith I am starting this week for review, AssCreed I am in Sequence 10 (been frustrated with this one so I keep going back to it and getting pissy again. I know I can do it though!), Steins;Gate I am in Chapter 4, Psycho Pass I am in Chapter 3, and DQIX I recently just finished Heights of Loneliness. We shall see which ones actually get completed though. My bet is on at least Zenith and one more. >>;
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    day 1 was pretty successful. I put 7 hours into yo-kai watch 2. Even more getting put in today.
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    I AM SO CLOSE TO BEATING STUFF. I am on the second last Sequence of Assassin's Creed: Unity (which is pissing me off), and both Psycho Pass and Steins; Gate I am halfway through. I will be beyond thrilled if I can knock even one of these games out.
    Yo-kai watch 2 is much bigger than the first. I played 50 hours on the first and that was including some post game stuff. I'm going to need to tackle shorter games if I intend to actually finish more than a couple this month.

On the topic of Yo-kai Watch 2 I will say that some of my complaints about the first game are still here in the second. The little circle lens thing you use to scan the yo-kai in order to battle have some annoying inconsistencies and befriending is still very random. I don't know what it does to have one yo-kai be bony and one to be fleshy, but I'm trying to get all bony guys since that's what version I'm playing. Turns out any yo-kai can be both, so having to befriend multiples to get the right one kinda sucks.

There's a lot more to do, too. Bike races, terror time actually provides something worth doing, likes of side quests, catching bugs, fishing (which is different than bug catching now), and even some time travel shenanigins. Definitely worth checking out, though if you have issues doing touch mini games you might find it difficult to get through. Lots of touch screen interaction is necessary.
    Dragon Quest IX (DS)
    Steins;Gate (PS3)
    Assassin's Creed Unity (PS4)
    Zenith (PS4)
    Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (PS4)

Yay! One game off my list! And there's still a bit of October left to maybe get one more... or even two more! (Not bloody likely). Criminal Girls 2 wants all of my soul right now. :(
    October, shmoctober. It's All the Games! all the time! I have made a solemn vow, to myself, to my girlfriend, that I will not buy new games in the new year until I finish a large chunk of my backlog. There are going to be a few exceptions, like Persona 5 (screw you, that's why), but for the most part I'll be passing on most stuff. This is going to make me very sad and hopefully very motivated to complete games.

Anyone else feel like skipping new purchases to destroy the backlog? You're allowed to have a few cheat games ("screw you, that's why" as I call it) but you must refrain from the purchase of new stuff or you'll break the solumn vow and forever carry the shame of, uh, buying. stuff. that is new.

Who's with me?
    I want to try and not buy too much next year, and this year I did all right. Not at many as I was hoping in terms of purchase. Here's what I am looking to tackle in the backlog next year (and for the month of December since there won't be anything to review! Unless I get something stupid early...)

Here's what I'd like to knock out that I've started:

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (DS, 33 hours so far)
    Final Fantasy X HD (PS3, 12 hours so far)
    Okage: Shadow King (PS4, 14 hours, in Chapter 5)
    Harvest Moon: Skytree Village (3DS, 2 Skytrees revived!)
    Fallout 4 (PS4, 6 hours in)

Here's some games I'd like to get to next year providing life doesn't hand me any curve balls (which it always does)

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice (3DS)
    Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (PS4)
    Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky (Vita)

And then.... I am not sure? I kinda want to play some PS2 and Wii/WiiU titles. I have so many games though to beat and it makes me cry. http://www.backloggery.com/games.php?user=nyxbot&status=1 (Seriously, I have so much choice!)
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    I know I need to do this, my backlog has exploded this year with lots of work and really long RPGs. I've been trying to cut back on the games that I'm not REALLY excited about, but so many are coming out at the beginning of next year ( Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Persona 5, Mass Effect) I think I'd fail with a no purchase vow. Nonetheless, I'm gonna be working down my backlog between now and Yakuza 0. My active backlog right now:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (WiiU) (1st time playing the DLC, which is a little too linear with lots of backtracking, but some interesting plot reveals)
    Uncharted 4 - About halfway done; perfectly acceptable AAA game, but the formula is wearing thin on me in the 5th game.
    Gurumin (3DS)- Also about half done; a really cute PS1ish Zelda like game.
    Ladykiller in a Bind (PC) - Finished 2 playthroughs of this mature visual novel; probably has one of the best methods of dialog choices I've come across.
    Fire Emblem (GBA on WiiU) - Enjoying it more than FE:Fates; those characters just didn't click with me.
    Pangya: Fantasy Golf (PSP) - Just finished the first half of the story mode and it is the craziest golf game ever. It has been one of my favorite gaming experiences this year; who would have guessed.

And that's just the stuff I'm bouncing between playing right now. I've still got Zero Time Dillema to play; Atelier Sophie and Black Closet to finish; Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and DQ7 that I haven't even opened; oh god I'm gonna drown under all these games! Maybe if people know, I'll finish more?
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    Play Suikoden! The first game is pretty short, if you are looking for knocking something out the backlog.

Star Ocean V is short too, as long as you don't get distracted by grinding quests and getting all the specialities or whatever they are called...

I'm just barely reducing the size of my backlog now after imposing a game-buying limit for the year. I'm hoping to do the same for next year. It sucks but at the same time I feel less guilty about buying games when I do buy them.