If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 400: "Peak Bondage"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 400: "Peak Bondage"

From investigating childcare scandals to uncovering lupine infiltration, the RPG Cast has been looking out for you for four hundred episodes. This week, however, seems to be all smiling teddy bears and capybaras. Do be careful around your local McDonald's though, you may get a drive-by Hoopa.

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Peak Bondage"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
What RPG would you recommend for a first time 3DS owner?
179811.png

Comments

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    One RPG for 3DS... lord, this is tricky. I'd probably go with FE: Awakening though since DQ7 is already a done deal.

Yo-kai Watch 2 would be a good pick, but it's not out in Europe until next spring.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    If its a New 3DS and you haven't played Xenoblade on the Wii then that's right up there. Otherwise as mentioned there are a lot of options, I probably would go for FE: Awakening over Fates. Next I'd put on the list would be Bravely Default and Bravely Second, and then Tales of the Abyss if you hadn't played the PS2 version (PS2 version didn't get released in Europe anyway).

Though you'll be waiting for Spring for Yo-kai Watch 2, as you are in Europe you should be able to get the full set of bonkers that is all the Inazuma games which more than makes up for it :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited October 2016
    I can't afford to subscribe to LootCrate, but for those who can, I would recommend displaying the link to subscribe-through-RPGamer somewhere that can be easily spotted without doing a specific Google search. Perhaps in the initial posts of the RPGamer podcast threads, I don't know.

The link I came up with from a Google search is

https://www.rpgamer.com/features/mysterybox/lootcrate.html

Edit: Monster jobs were in the Playstation version of Dragon Quest VII, and they would turn a party member's sprite into a monster sprite on the overworld map only.

However, most monster jobs were lackluster, and the semi-decent ones were severely outclassed by the regular jobs, especially since most monster jobs couldn't be unlocked until late in the game and required either benevolent RNG or lots of monster heart farming.

Edit2: The one RPG I recommend most for a 3DS owner is Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. It's fun, funny, and filled to the brim with anti-frustration features. Certain amiibos are supported if Paper Jam is played on a New 3DS, but amiibos are absolutely not required to fully enjoy the game.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited October 2016
    There are a lot of options for a first-time 3DS user. Part of me wants to recommend FE: Awakening, but another would rather they start with one of the GBA Fire Emblem, or Path of Radiance if they can afford it or bought a copy years ago and still haven't played it. I would rather they get acquainted with a more traditional FE game first. Of course, if they have played a Fire Emblem pre-Awakening, then by all means, the games are great! Heck, if they've been scared off of FE because of permanent death, then all the more reason to then into these games.

Bravely Defeault/Second are a must, though I'm torn as to whether or not they should get both or just play Second. I personally think BS is the superior game and much better paced than its predecessor. Default's repetition can make or break the series for people. However, the first game is still really good, and certain surprises won't have the same impact if Default is skipped.

I would also recommend Devil Survivor Overclocked, especially if they would a more challenging game or already like Megemi Tensei game. Even if they aren't, it can be a good introduction to the meta-series, or at least it was for me. Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker is also excellent, though I still think the first game is the better of the two.

As an example not mentioned in the podcast, I would give a recommendation to Stella Glow. Granted, if the person in question really doesn't like anime-style artwork and hi-jinks or dating sim elements, then perhaps they should avoid this. Barring that, it's a good strategy RPG with fun characters, a story that especially picks up later on in the game, and excellent music.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited October 2016
    I've been pretty disappointed with the RPG selection for the 3DS, but maybe I've just missed something. Despite being a big fan of Shining Force 1-3, I just cannot seem to get into Fire Emblem. I might try Awakening again some time as they say third time's a charm.

Part of the problem may be I'm simply not really into JRPGs anymore... but my favorite JRPGs from recent years would be Radiant Historia and Celestian Tales (and Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time though it's originally a 2003 PS2 game). I love Celestian Tales and am excited for the second chapter but it's a PC exclusive atm.

I dislike random encounters and trash encounters and I just have very low tolerance for games that require lots of grinding which seems to exclude a lot of JRPGs. My 3DS has been sitting in it's box untouched for nearly a year.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire