If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Active Topical Banter - Adopting Adaptation

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
The Game of the Book of the Movie is finally out. We examine the peculiarities of confronting tie-in rpgs.

Listen
Archive
Feed
No headphone jack
The droids you're looking for

SPONSOR:Free 30 days of game streaming

Talking Points from this Episode:
Tie-in games are bad idea. Scott thinks the tie-in RPG is a bad idea...mostly
Source familiarity
Action-y ness
Reflecting themes well or not
Writing is key; see south park
Crossover games
Eastern europe vs japan
Tabletop excellence?
Multimedia extravaganza and burn out
Bias? Review concerns

Next Time: We get jobs

Comments

• Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited November 2016
    I've brought this up on the forums and in at least one feature before, but there is one RPG franchise that few people realize started as a tie-in: Megami Tensei. Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei is basically a sequel to the second book in the series. More books were written after the first two, although the only similarities the actual sequel has to the RPG are the main characters and that Lucifer is the main villain. Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II is loosely connected to the first game and thus the books, but otherwise, the metaseries has taken on a life of its own. The only things MegaTen has that originated from the books is the title (at least in part), demons/gods/mythological creatures from around the world, and using a computer to simulate demon summoning rituals.

I've read the first two Digital Devil Story books, and they're kind of trashy. The games have definitely surpassed the source material, which is a rarity in adaptations of any sort.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    15 year old me loved Trent's story about Tom Clancy, awesome!

As for tie-in games, I wonder if it's the focus on story (or the the fact that you don't have to capture the essence of the underlying work in the gameplay) that makes them successful?

Oh, one other thing, isn't there a special subset of this now for tie-in Musou games? Seems like every decently popular Japanese franchise is getting one (Zelda, Dragon Quest, One Piece, Fist of the North Star, Gundam, Arslan: The Warriors of Legend, Berserk, and next year Atelier will be in one). How long before there is a Persona or Disgaea Musou? Or maybe American companies will jump on this trend to expand their brand in Japan; Marvel Musou anyone? :>

Anyway, my Musou tangent aside, excellent show.