If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 170: Conformists

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
There are some good ones, but the trend of licensed games being wretched has never gone away. Thus South Park's first RPG being a delight to experience is a wonderful thing to report on.
Towelie is only on loading screens.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    Sooooo glad the ninjas didn't destroy all the recording equipment and break morale or else we wouldn't have gotten this beauty of an episode.

I've been listening to a slew of past episodes just to get my fix while you all were under attack from the ninja and it still amazes me the level of memory you have! You were reminding me of details from this game that I completely didn't remember! And props to Ms. Marshmellow for making me want to play the Jew class even more now, as I never got to play it.

Great episode! So glad to have you back!
    Since nobody has any questions I actually have a couple!
    I was listening to the episodes 90-100 where you were listing off Phil's favorite games and one of them was the Witcher 1, we got really detailed into that and then Phil briefly mentioned the witcher 2, saying not much. Just wanted to get an elaboration on how you felt about the Witcher 2 and maybe a bit of the Witcher 3.
    Also, one of the episodes was of Valkyria Chronicles and I remember Phil saying that he had a controversial opinion of the game and then during the episode I didn't hear much in the vein of a controversial opinion haha. Did I miss something?!
    Thanks again!!
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    I'll probably mention these questions on the show... but, since I'm here, poking around on the forum...

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten far in Witcher 2 or 3....just a wee bit before I got sidetracked by something else. I really, really need to. Everything I've heard says they improved on the pretty awesome original (including the Battle system, which I wasn't the largest fan of).

As far as VC...my opinion is that the gameplay is OK...not awesome . I think a lot of people were just like ZOMGBBQGOTY because it was an original blend of FPS/Strategy/RPG with GORGEOUS graphics. However, as I played it, I realize that as a game, it was fundamentally flawed. The mechanics allow you to rush right up, occupy an enemy base, and win quickly. Also, you can run up and just shoot someone in the face for an instant kill. These two mechanics are awesome when you do them vs. CPU.,..but not so awesome when CPU does it to you. A quick loss, or quick team deaths can be demoralizing...especially when lost soldiers mean lost turns.

To prevent that..the game's AI is intentionally dumbed down...while YOU will take every opportunity for easy kills and base take overs, the CPU will not. If it did, the game would be very frustrating, very quickly. However, if that was all there was to it was dumb AI, VC would be a short, super easy game. The developers also decided to artificially inflate the game's difficulty curve/length on later boards by adding in a number of surprises and puzzle mechanics...such as a bosses that can only be killed from a certain direction... or a tank that suddenly appears behind your group at turn 5. Once you know these surprises and mechanics, the game's later levels become an absolute cakewalk.

Puzzly bosses and surprises that become easier with a FAQ, trial/error, a friend telling you, etc, are kind of a hallmark of many RPGs...however, I guess I expected more from VC, because the gameplay is mostly Strategic. And, honestly, it got old rather fast. Strategy games, such as Starcraft, may use such mechanics from time to time in their single player campaigns, to add some spice, but they are rare. After all, when you have a good strategy game, with a solid AI to fight the player... then you don't really need to rely on such tricks to maintain an artificial difficulty tension.

The big result of this was that I've had few friends play the game a 2nd time...much less a third/fourth time...or spend much time doing Skirmishes...where I've seen players/friends do multiple run throughs of games like Starcraft...or even solid SRPGs like Final Fantasy tactics.

With that being said, I totally realize I'm in the minority here. Most people will swear by VC...though I like to ask them how many play throughs have they done of the game :)
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I thought witcher 1 had a lot of potential with the writing. And part 2 improved on it, but 3 is in another realm of good compared to the first two.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Y'all have to let me know of your opinions of our soundtrack selection for this episode , teeheehee
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
    edited November 2016
    I save some of the longer episodes for when I have long drives at work. So I went back to the ar telinco episode. Execellent. Up there with the disegea and eterian odessey casts as a personal favorite.
    And with that Sakura episode I'm now 100 episodes complete. 70 more to go. I figure that's already 2 weeks in real time of backtrack.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Budai wrote: »
    I save some of the longer episodes for when I have long drives at work. So I went back to the ar telinco episode. Execellent. Up there with the disegea and eterian odessey casts as a personal favorite.

Ahh the Disgaea episode, fun fact - I dozed off during Disgaea 2 talk.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited January 7
    I bought a Wii U specifically to play Paper Mario Color Splash. I don't regret the decision because I needed my Paper Mario fix, and because there are other Wii U games that I want to play.

Color Splash has excellent graphics and music, and a funny story, but it's plagued with long, slow, mandatory minigames that drag down its pacing.
    It's funny Phil (by the way thanks for the long, in depth reply!), when I got the remastered VC the exact same things crept in my head. While redoing some missions after dying the first time I completely wiped them the second time. Grinding the skirmishes was bland and the game (although aging well visually) just didn't click for me again.
    Now I know why you didn't talk about it much during that episode haha.

Right now I'm going from episode 1 all the way to the end (because of the wait for new episodes haha). Man, there were soooo many character coming in and out of rpgamer and the different podcast! And everyone really seems to like final fantasy 6. I wonder if asked again about their favorite rpgs if people would say the same!
    Wheels wrote: »

Ahh the Disgaea episode, fun fact - I dozed off during Disgaea 2 talk.

I'm going to try and find the moment in all it's glory haha.
    Seifer267 wrote: »
    It's funny Phil (by the way thanks for the long, in depth reply!), when I got the remastered VC the exact same things crept in my head. While redoing some missions after dying the first time I completely wiped them the second time. Grinding the skirmishes was bland and the game (although aging well visually) just didn't click for me again.

Right now I'm going from episode 1 all the way to the end (because of the wait for new episodes haha). Man, there were soooo many character coming in and out of rpgamer and the different podcast! And everyone really seems to like final fantasy 6. I wonder if asked again about their favorite rpgs if people would say the same!

Yeah I do the same but I go in reverse order. From newest to oldest. Im on episode 68.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    okay archive bingers, remember to hold mike accountable for opinions he can't recall stating years ago.
    Seifer267 wrote: »

Yeah I do the same but I go in reverse order. From newest to oldest. Im on episode 68.

We will meet around 50 probably haha.