If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Pokemon Trainer's Club - Live from Alola, it's Generation 7!

lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accidentHalifaxRPGamer Staff
Welcome welcome, ladies and gents. Tomorrow we kick off a new and exciting adventure in the land of Alola. This is the place to be for Pokemon Sun and Moon and all things Pokemon from this point on. Feel free to discuss the mons, the pokes, the variants, the whole shebang. Just remember to tag your posts for spoilers.

Welcome to the new age!
lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
this is my twitter! come twit with me

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Picked this up on the way to work and can't wait for my Alolan *cough*Hawiian*cough* adventure
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    I spent more than 16 hours playing this game yesterday. 8:30 am to after 1 am. My team is nearing level 30 and my go-to pokemon is Mustard the snorlax. He's my catcher and money maker.

I chose litten, named him Pudding, and we went along our way. Finished some trials, caught lots of Pokemon, it's been great. I'm really liking the ride function since it removes the need for HMs while also being really cool. Just got the fly equivilant.

There's been so many interesting monsters that I'm sad I can't have more than 6. I'm thinking of making an all fire team later on. If anyone wants to trade or battle, we can exchange codes. I have sun and I'm going to get a bunch of vulpix when I find them so I can give them away to anyone with moon who wants it. Haven't found them yet though.

I'm also tweeting a lot about the game. check me out on my twitter and follow along!
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    Wife is currently has both DS's and using reset to get all female starters on one of hte copies.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Doing a "new species only" run to start, and I've already got 5/6 of a second team. Just trying to find a final Pokémon or get to the point that I can access Sandygaast (on Route 9 now, so maybe I already am?)
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    I've been very busy these past few days, and am a little under two hours into the game. I haven't been able to form much of an opinion. but I'm enjoying it. It's certainly a nice-looking game.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

I like how they changed up the Gym system a little. It's still there but it's more robust I feel
    sig.gif

I'm nearing the end of island 3, Ula'ula, so I'm hoping to hit the last island here tonight. Thanks to an ice Vulpix, I managed to get a ditto from the GTS. Immediately afterwards, I began the breeding of 33 littens. During that time I also traded a Vulpix for Rowlet, then I traded a Litten for a Poplio and another for a Mimikyu. Pretty good haul all started by the quite easy to obtain ice Vulpix.

So, if anyone is in need of a litten I have a few available. I need the passimion and the other ape-looking dude, or an ice sandshrew. Don't necessarily need to get a good trade for the litten, just if you feel like helping my pokedex. Since I have a ditto, I'm going to be making rowlets and poplios soon. I can also breed things that you need, especially if you provide the pokemon and I'll pump things out with my ditto.

Party wise, I'm getting close to the main party I want. Snorlax is a bomb, Ribombee is quick and adaptable, Incineroar is a wrestler, Tsareena is a kicking goddess, and there's this Jango-o or something, a new dragon, that I want. That'll be 5th member. I think the poison/fire Salazzle would be good to round things out.
    I have a female Litten as a starter :D.

So all I can think of when I see the Team Skull grunts is Dance off Bro.
    sig.gif

well then. the events you experience leading up to the fourth island is quite something. I seen it coming, for the most part, but it was still pretty interesting developments. I got to the fourth island, did a little bit, so now I'm wondering if I want to get a bunch of rowlet and poplio eggs sooner or later. I'm having great luck with littens on the GTS already, so maybe sooner rather than later.

Jam, my ribombee, just learned quiver dance and has gone from good to crazy good. Right now she has puff puff of doom, fairy beam of death, dance of killing things better, and flying type heal half of her hp.

Snorlax tried to learn a ground type move called high horsepower. almost as strong as earthquake but only hits one target. After the pokemon bank opens up for Sun, I'm going to make a perfect snorlax. This playthrough has made me fall in love with the big guy.
    High Horsepower is supposed to be Mudbray's trademark move, I think.

Currently raising a 4th team (one per island). And I think I can pull off one more.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    edited November 2016
    I'm going slower than I'd like, but I am on the third trial of Akala island. The island challenge is a very neat change of pace from the usual gym leaders. I'm sure I'm not not the only one who is reminded of the Orange Island season of the Pokemon anime, where the challenges involved more than just battles. The Totem Pokemon have been a surprising challenge, and I'm of the opinion that all Pokemon games have been easy. No strategy has been needed in the main game other than type advantage, and it didn't take many levels to even ignore that. I do think there's more hand holding in this game than in previous ones, though the battles aren't any easier.

I do feel like there aren't enough new Pokemon, but after Black/White, I'm starting to think this will always be the case. :P I do have a team of nothing but generation 7 Pokemon, but the lack of an Electric type I like is awkward .
    Bravely second...

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    I just arrived on the third island. Thinking of taking a brief storyline break to fill out the 'dex. Lots of things to evolve.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    I aim for a team of all new pokemon when a new generation comes out, and I finally weaned myself off Snorlax right at the end of the second island. Discovering new ones and assessing their viability is a large part of the draw for me, so I don't read about new pokemon or check a wiki until after the main story is finished. I'm getting impatient that one of my team members hasn't evolved yet. It's still a good contributor, but if it doesn't evolve soon I'll assume there's a trick to evolving it and ditch him out of spite.

I have two favorite team members whom I expect to keep until the game's over. There's Rowlet in his awesome final form. I was shocked by his final type combination and he's currently my favorite starter since Gens 1 and 2. The other is Cutiefly's evolution. Nothing really shocking about her, but the Fairy type still seems new and exotic to me, I'm partial to using bugs when they're viable, and she has the most powerful attacks of anyone in my party.

The rest of my team is 3 pokemon I'm waiting to evolve, though I don't like two of them at the moment, and a revolving door that currently has the Gen 7 new Flying one that sneaked back in when Rowlet dropped the Flying type. I traded for a new Water type that I wasn't running into on my own and might try it out. It feels weird to have a party with no Water pokemon.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    There's two Pokémon I can think of who would meet the definition of "hasn't evolved and might be a gimmick", and you're closer to one than the other.

I beat Sun and ended up picking from among four full teams of new guys. One Pokémon in the final fight went 8/10 in paralyzing my team, so I should have picked my counter-types better. Into Moon now and just using the Alola formes for this run. Can't wait until Pichu evolves.
    anyone ask for a fairy/steel mythical pokemon? Have you beaten the game? Scan a QR code here to get a Magearna (I think it's Ma-gear-na).
    edited December 2016
    I just passed the Ghost trial on Ula'ula. All of my current team has evolved, and Praline the Oricorio finally learned an Electric move. I'm still enjoying it very much so far. The story is a bit slow, but to be fair, so was Black/White's.

They only added 81 Pokemon this generation? I was hoping for a minimum of 100. Oh well, as they approach 1000 of the critters, designs are probably getting harder and harder to come up with. No wonder it feels like there aren't enough new Pokemon.
    Bravely second...