If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 38: Final Fantasy XV Eve - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest, we somehow make the return of vinyl records relevant in a video game discussion. We also discuss the development history of Final Fantasy XV.

Episode 38: Final Fantasy XV Eve - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Every time I hear someone talk about game store dates or mail services, I am ever more glad that I live in a country with a rational approach to such things ^_^

I know a guy who made his own NES game, Kira Kira Star Knight, that's actually gotten into stores over here.

Well those were some interesting responses to my question. The first things that came to mind were Blue Forest Story and OtodaMaster, probably because I played those far more recently than FF7. In the first one, there was a hot-spring scene that was normal enough for the genre, but then it suddenly goes a lot farther with the female protagonist flashing the player with 32-bit game sprite boobs. What was surprising was that the hot-spring thing is a largely settled convention in JRPG storytelling, and games with reputations far seamier than some minor PSX title wouldn't go nearly that far. This was the same game where the penultimate boss transformed into a floating head followed by a string of eight demonic mammaries, two of which explode out through his chest in a most pneumatic manner during the transformation sequence. Just weird. Nothing else in that game came even remotely close to that, however; it was otherwise pretty average.

As for OtodaMaster, it's supposed to be a kiddy game, and potty humor is about as basic to juvenile gaming as can be, but to have an entire chapter devoted to being one massive fart joke involving two warring clans who fought with flatulence, a sacred pair of mountains called the Cheeks of Pufft (low, rounded, and with a volcanic vent sending smoke out from between them, as seen on the map screen), and an offensive Chinese caricature of a villain named Master Pu who rode on a golden cloud of fart-power and ruled from a turd-shaped tower... It was too much, for sure.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I don't know if you followed the leaked ff15 info that was floating around the web this summer. It would obviously be called fake and rightly so, but it turned out to be true. Someone with inside info was leaking it out. I don't know if that is a question, so much as a talking point, and want to know your thoughts.
    I'm 4 hours into ff15 at the moment, and the game is more beautiful in motion fully done. Some games look better in pics. Which games do you think really need to be seen in action to appreciate what it's doing, even if its other things than just graphics. Rez comes to mind.
    Does anyone remember or played seaman for the dreamcast? How important is experimentation for the video game industry?
    Do you think we will see a console monster hunter soon? If so, would it most likely be a switch version or PS4?
    Mario world is the greatest game ever made. Discuss.
    edited December 2016
    I can't post a YouTube link but you do this

dragon quest 7 isnt that long youtube You'll see me make my point.
    Have you seen the free rogue like on PS4 by suda51 called let it die?
    When you think of a poorly balanced Rpg what comes to mind?
    I was listening to an old rpgbacktrack and both of you agree tales of phantasia was a lousy game. I totally agree! It's my least favorite tales. What is the best and worst tales in your personal opinion?
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Budai wrote: »
    I was listening to an old rpgbacktrack and both of you agree tales of phantasia was a lousy game. I totally agree! It's my least favorite tales. What is the best and worst tales in your personal opinion?

oh man free license to complain about that game, awesome.

Also, last call for "year in review" type thoughts for our next Episode.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    Do you think the Saga games which let you pick a character story usually have what would be considered the normal or default story? And other characters that would be considered the more bizarre and expirmental stories?
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Budai wrote: »
    Do you think the Saga games which let you pick a character story usually have what would be considered the normal or default story? And other characters that would be considered the more bizarre and expirmental stories?

Depends on the game, but in Romancing SaGa Albert's story filled in the right spots for what would generally be considered a primary protagonist experience, while Barbara's was intentionally left wide open with almost nothing set beyond the beginning. The SaGa games tend to be more setting-focused than character-focused, though. Just look at the map of Mardius (RS) or the unnamed world of RS2 and not imagine yourself playing a D&D campaign there.