If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Will FFXV go down as a classic?

PsychotronPsychotron MemberFull Members
Hello, I know FFXV got good reviews, but I'm trying to get a feel as to how good before I buy it and a PS4. It looks like it's not a disappointment, but for people who have played it, do you think it is in the same class as FFVI, FFVII, and (arguably) FFX? Or is it more like a great, but not really a remarkable, game.

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    The review thread has some great discussion about this already going on. That said, it's not at the top of my favorites, but it's easily in the top half of my favorite FFs. Any changes they make down the road will likely only make that go higher.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • swangtalswangtal Full Members
    I think it will. I think 15 is remarkable, definitely worth the wait. I enjoyed the other games in the franchise, but nothing has struck out at me like 15 did. Well, I really liked 10 and 12 as well, but this is THE definitive FF for me.

The combat is refreshing, the scope of the game is tremendous, the world well defined and refined. I guess you don't get the crazy level of detail elsewhere as you do in Hammerhead. But damn, but hearing the gang commented to Prompto about how the place is great for technophile just totally made the game for me. It makes the world feels much fuller.

Too bad most of the world was so sparse with people. I guess it makes sense with the demons out and about, not to mention the uneasy peace (and all out wars), there really shouldn't be anyone outside. But it does feel scary when I walk over to farm houses and they're just empty.
    Another thing that I dislike is that the game makes me feel very claustophobic. There are so many things to do that I feel like I'll end up missing something, so I'm moving through it at a snail pace.

Also..frikkin Couerl thing...they should just go extinct.
  • CerickCerick Full Members
    15 really isn't my style of game. It won't be a classic in my book, but I do know there is an audience that has enjoyed it. My preference is ATB or CTB battle systems. It is depressing that the only place I can find these games is on handheld systems for the most part.
  • EvilorEvilor Totally Not the Secret Antagonist A secret alcove in the hero's baseFull Members
    It's truly a classic in the bro-trip/broad-trip genre of JRPG. I have never experienced a fantasy glamping party quite like those in FFXV. 10 pretty mans out of 10!
    Fufufufufu,
    -Evilor
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    I'll play it when a GOTY with all of the DLC and related videos come out. In reviews, I saw it mentioned several times that, in order to get the full story, one needed to watch said videos... and that some of the DLC further fleshed things out. Remember when Final Fantasy games did all of their world craftin', plot weavin' and character development within the story itself? And they still blew your mind? I did. From what I understand, the story here does the series proud, however, you have to purchase all of these videos/DLC/etc to have that full, rich experience normally included in the game. So, I'll wait. I'm certainly not excited for the combat system (I generally do not care as much for real time systems involving a whole party unless I have full control via a gambit-like system), but if the story / world building brings it home, I can look over that.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • oldmanbaloldmanbal Full Members
    ffxv is going to usher in a new generation of kids that didn't grow up playing earlier rpg titles. For what its worth it could be the first rpg for a LOT of people that own a ps4.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    Final fantasy suffers from fandom myopic appraisal (sometimes known as the Gundam 00 effect/ or the new Doctor is terrible syndrome) in that the most recent installment is always panned by the most vocal in the community, and the previous entries are classics or misunderstood gems.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Maybe when it's finished :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Final fantasy suffers from fandom myopic appraisal (sometimes known as the Gundam 00 effect/ or the new Doctor is terrible syndrome) in that the most recent installment is always panned by the most vocal in the community, and the previous entries are classics or misunderstood gems.

I am not sure that entirely applies to this series. While it certainly does seem to affect some titles (notably the general opinions about XII after XIII), it really just seems to happen to some controversial titles but not others. It has been seven years, and I have not seen a large deluge of haters get on the XIII train after the launch of XV. The crazies that liked that game still like it, and everyone else still seems to have their original indifference or disinterest in it. Hell, nearly twenty years have passed and VIII is still treated like a pariah among some circles.
    ClixPsi.png
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members

This. How can we evaluate it when it's still being changed dramatically?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Shaymin wrote: »

Indeed. Hell, just comparing it from the original release, it's changed so much. Wait until the final update is finally released, and then we can give a final statement on it.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • EvilorEvilor Totally Not the Secret Antagonist A secret alcove in the hero's baseFull Members
    Shaymin wrote: »

Indeed. Hell, just comparing it from the original release, it's changed so much. Wait until the final update is finally released, and then we can give a final statement on it.

Final Fantasy is going the way of the Star Wars movies.

I don't have the exact quote, but I think the fact that The 'Gooch Himself said that he feels it embodies the spirit of Final Fantasy is telling.
    Fufufufufu,
    -Evilor