If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 407: "Stupid Mute Button"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 407: "Stupid Mute Button"

While Kelley and Chris fawn over the Chocobros, Anna Marie and Alex plan out next year's visual novel indulgences. Then they talk about Super Mario Run...and move on. Ah whatever, 2016 is almost over. Go download Lost Odyssey and have a good holiday!

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Stupid Mute Button"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
What did you get as gifts this year?

Support the Show
179811.png

Comments

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I got Picross 3D Round 2 as a Christmas gift! Or rather, I got $30 specifically so I could buy it on the 3DS eShop, since it's download-only.

If any Picross fans here haven't tried the Picross 3D games, I recommend downloading the free demo for Picross 3D Round 2, since it has an excellent tutorial. This tutorial persuaded me to try the first Picross 3D game (released for the DS, it's quite inexpensive now), which was utterly addictive and surprisingly difficult.

$30 may be a steep price for Round 2, but the player does get lots of puzzle solving for their money. I'm estimating at least 50-100 hours' worth. Also, I've never seen any Picross games get discounted on the eShop, ever.

Round 2 technically has amiibo support, but it's just nine bonus puzzles, one for each of certain amiibos (Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Bowser, Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, or Link; Peach or Toad unlock the same puzzle; Wolf Link is not supported). It's not worthwhile to buy amiibos solely for this game.

My roommate also let me borrow his iPad to play Super Mario Run. He can't stand the game but I wanted to play it.

Super Mario Run might not be worth $10 if you're just trying to beat it, since it can be finished in a couple hours. The real gameplay value comes from collecting the coins and practicing your skills at Toad Rally. Collecting the coins turns it into an action-puzzle game, as the player must figure out how on earth to find or reach some of the more difficult coins.

I'm probably just going to beat it and move on, but I have no regrets about paying $10 because I am a hopeless Mario fan, and because I do not like most free-to-play gating mechanics. It it truly fair to condemn Super Mario Run's price tag but give Puzzle & Dragons a pass?

Obligatory RPG comment: I'm looking forward to Dragon Quest 8 on the 3DS and have my copy preordered! How about all of you?
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I got a couple of Amiibo (Pikachu, 8-Bit Link), PSN credit, a year of PS+ (at the old rate, smart shopping there) and a PS4.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    All I got gaming-related this year is The Genei Ibunroku #FE (Tokyo Mirage Sessions) Vocal Collection CD. I wish it contained the whole soundtrack from the game, but it's still pretty neat.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    I didn't get any gaming related gifts this year. The closest was taking a computer monitor, which would have been chucked out otherwise.

I meant to say about Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. Yes, there no problem with playing VLR without playing 999. they catch you up on all the important events.

What you shouldn't do is playing VLR before playing 999. I personally prefer the story in 999, but that won't work if you already know what's happening.