If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Stormblood Details Emerge from FFXIV's Tokyo Fan Fest

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited December 2016 in Latest Updates
As promised, the Tokyo Fan Fest provided some fresh details for Final Fantasy XIV's newest expansion. Red Mages will make their marks on Eorzea this coming June.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    The Return to Ivalice raid is making me giddy. Here's hoping we see some of the races of Ivalice in there, and that the armor sets are Ivalice influenced. Would really love to be fighting in one of Ramza's or Delita's outfits.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • EnareiEnarei Lord of Cuddly Things Full Members
    I am hoping we fight the Lucavi...all of them.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I'm a little more interested in how combat will change
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • DoctorLeechesDoctorLeeches Atlanta, GeorgiaFull Members
    I'm a little more interested in how combat will change

Same here..
    "Formally Rockko, long story..."
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I'd love some streamlining. I come back after months off and spend an hour or so trying to remember what half of the skills do. There are so many and the names of most of them are meaningless.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited January 1
    I like that some jobs are extremely complex and others are more simple, but everyone knows FF14 can't keep adding more complexity to the jobs with every expansion like it did with Heavensward. I have two DoM jobs I enjoy playing with right now, and I think FF14 has one of the best battle systems of any RPG ever. I just hope the streamlining doesn't make it too simple, or change the jobs with a level of complexity I like such that I feel the need to refocus entirely.

I'm 80% looking forward to the changes, 20% wary; it's definitely necessary for the long term health of the game.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I like the complexity, but feel like some skills just become useless after awhile. Would be nice to cut some fat without killing the depth the system offers. I've just started playing Ninja and there is a lot of juggling of skills there that I've not been used to when tanking. Some skills could benefit from being replaced completely when you unlock a new one instead of keeping a dozen skills you'll never really use.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 2
    Changing the battle system is actually one of my biggest fears for the upcoming expansion. As it stands, for how I play the game, Heavensward was actually a pretty bad expansion in my opinion. The only thing that I thought was handled pretty well, aside from maybe the story which I don't follow, was how they added new layers to all of the jobs.

One of the reasons that I've played the game as long as I have, aside from the people, of course, is the complexity of the battle system. Some, but not all, of this comes from having a robust selection of skills that you are constantly using. Having lots of skills for different situations is actually fun, and if you're getting down to the super basics of it all, I like having a lot of different buttons to press at a relatively high pace.

I understand that SE is essentially in a spot where they can't add much to existing classes anymore for multiple reasons. Trimming the fat on a couple of nearly worthless moves is certainly okay, but I'd argue the fat that they do have is small. Using the NIN example, I can really only think of 5 moves that I'd be comfortable with them removing. Which is a shame because most of them are flavorful class moves such as Hide that could actually have a use if they were reworked. If they do remove some abilities that see frequent use, and then put nothing in their place, its basically just dumbing the game down. If they remove those same abilities and replace them with something new and better, all they've done is arrive at the same or higher level of complexity than they had before. Not messing with a good thing seems like the smartest decision in my book. The great thing about FF14 is that you can sort of compare it to SSB Melee. The high level players can enjoy what they do on a separate plane from the casual player whose just playing it as a party game for fun. The way both games are designed allows both types of players to coexist peacefully.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2
    I agree that the complexity is at the right spot now. The issue is the game would want to add another layer as part of leveling to 70 in Stormblood just like it did in Heavensward, but some jobs are already about maxed out on how many different skills can be readily mapped and used mid-fight. They're going to streamline some of it so they can add back complexity later, is my guess.

For my two jobs, I can easily use the full skillset of white mage and summoner right now. There's a place for almost everything, and I believe I know when and how to use them and I'm great at both jobs. Adding another layer to white mage would be an issue because I don't have room for new skills on my bars unless old ones became totally obsolete. I'd need to add another bar and I have no clue what people using a controller would do. Summoner already has 2 layers of complexity with Aetherflow and Trance, and while a well designed 3rd layer on top of those would be okay with me, it may be impossible for newcomers to figure out if they speed-level or use a jump potion. Just this week I saw a lot of level 60 summoners not using the full skillset, so it may already be too complex for people.

On the other hand, I think Astrologian is disjointed but rather simple. Simplifying this job more would be a bad idea in my opinion. And I think Scholar is too complex already, and haven't noticed others using the full kit so I figure that's a common feeling.

Which is why I say that the complexity is fine now, but adding more without taking anything away would be a problem for almost everyone. As for Mac's issues... well they assume you're subbing for a month and leveling a job in sequential days, not leveling 2 days every 3 months because you haven't subbed in 3 years :smile:
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Sadly all MMO's go through this at some point, heck WoW has had to do it multiple times because of how much the game has changed. But they have to evolve as the players change
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• OrophinOrophin New Member Full Members
    edited January 6
    From the things I've read they're going to remove lesser used skills, and it sounds like they may be getting rid of cross class abilities and jobs will just innately have abilities they previously gained from other classes. (Internal Release, Raging Strikes, etc.) Whether or not they actually name them something different for each job remains to be seen.

The other thing I read from a translated interview is that I believe they intend to keep the current rotation structures intact, while adding onto them with the handful of new abilities we learn in Stormblood. However, an example they gave (not confirmed to be a change yet) is like in the case of BLM and keeping up Enochian. They want to avoid penalizing players by having the buff drop in the event they have to move around and don't have time (or Swiftcast up) to refresh the buff, but instead, reward the top end of players that CAN manage the buff properly by giving them some type of bonus. Those that can't, they'll still have Enochian up 100% of the time but they won't see the bonuses that better players get.

I think the above example is the way they're looking at keeping the battle system somewhat complex, but not over-penalizing players in the process. And no, I don't really see them decreasing the GCD any further, which is a common complaint for a lot of people that try the game out. It's pretty slow early on, but you come to appreciate not having to push a button every second like in an action game in the harder tier content.
  • MatejaMateja Full Members
    edited January 11
    can I just say, that I hate the action bar. it should be called the in-action bar. this has been one of the main things keeping me disinterested in xiv and spending more time in xi (i play both and xi's battle is far more complex fun and engaging). for one thing, holding L2 or R2 an entire 30 min battle to access ... but a few ... more abilities is aggregiously annoying. i just find greater complexity more interesting. it has never been convoluted with SE. you have 100+ spells because it is interesting and good game design. there are different status effects / heals / buffs / nukes / etc and it's just more interesting that way. I just want their newer games to be like every other good final fantasy game (7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12) where, at higher levels, I have access to an insane amount of spells and abilities (which aren't all individually icon-ed taking up 40% of the damn screen) and I can fly through them ALL at light speed choosing precisely the right thing at the right time. I don't think it's either that or an action game. I think it can be both. as it stands, xiv (and xv for that matter) is over simplified yet tedious to me. I want more abilities, I want to auto arrange that sh!#, and I want to access them all--immediately. not enter convoluted menus to set a small handful of spells/abilities and unable to ever see/use everything. why would anyone ever like this? the xiii games' battle was more interesting/fun than xiv and xv. (xv is excused because it is so action packed that it's kinda it's own thing. it's pretty fun warp striking around etc but xv's magic system sux even worse than xiv's). I am elated to see news of them revamping the battle system and pray to Altana that it's more complex, accessible, and interesting. also, red mage, and swimming looks awesome :)

let me append this by saying i love ffxiv. it is the most beautiful game i have ever played and i have been with it from the beginning (1.0's beta, through everything--legacy member--one of those weirdos who actually loved 1.0, mostly because I had made a pc powerful enough to run it and didn't see anything wrong with it minus some minor glitches and lack of content that happens with any new mmo). the 2.0 remake, a realm reborn, seemed totally unecessary/annoying to me because 1.0 had already been thoroughly ironed out, it just delayed the xiv expansions, xv, the vii remake, and everything good in the future. meanwhile SE was trolled almost to death by it's fan base who couldn't understand why they were busy catering to their endless contradicting damands, who seemed to hate every single thing they did or didn't try. forcing them to experimentally develop, trash, and re develop, and rehash everything (xiv, xv, xiii 1 2 and 3) instead of just finishing the mainline games we all wanted and moving on to an actual new thing. and where the hell is dragon quest x online??? owell at least Mobius final fantasy is free / awesome. if I can ever figure out the damn card system lol.
    My issue with the action bar has to do with delay. It seems the system isn't as responsive as other MMO's
    sig.gif