If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2017 Completed Game List

Comments

• FoxConfessorFoxConfessor London, EnglandFull Members
    I finally rolled credits on Dragon Quest Builders (PS4). I'd been playing this off and on for months, but I had fun with it, if it was a little bit limiting.
    I found Star Ocean: First Departure (PSP, 32 Hours) for really cheap and playing it on my commute to work. I really liked this one - the only Star Ocean I hadn't played. I may go back and play Second Story again!
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    I finally rolled credits on Dragon Quest Builders (PS4). I'd been playing this off and on for months, but I had fun with it, if it was a little bit limiting.
    I found Star Ocean: First Departure (PSP, 32 Hours) for really cheap and playing it on my commute to work. I really liked this one - the only Star Ocean I hadn't played. I may go back and play Second Story again!

Any guesstimate on hours spent playing DQB?
    ClixPsi.png
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    Ever Oasis (3DS) is done. I'm going to play the post-game for a while longer. In short, I really like it!
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Pokémon Moon

Glad to have come back to this one and finish it :)
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PC) was more of the same. I switched to Astrologian main after almost 4 years of White Mage, which freshened things up and was a good move. I like how the primal and Omega fights focus more on interesting mechanics than the DPS walls and 1HKO attacks from Heavensward. I personally wish Omega wasn't so easy (or maybe now is the time I should try Savage...), but it's nice not losing repeatedly as a healer because the damage isn't high enough or DPS keep forgetting about the 1 mechanic they need to pay attention to. The final Stormblood fight and Susano Ex are my favorite fights at the moment.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Braveland (PC)

A fun little game with fight like King's Bounty/Heroes of might and magic
    sig.gif
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Pyre (PS4) is completed! Hope to have a review up on the site very soon!
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    Dragon's Curse (PC)

A fan remake of Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap. Hard as nails but very rewarding in the end.

Miracle Warriors (Sega Master System)

It was the only game in my Master System collection that I never beat and now that it's finished I remember why: A short game that consists of 85% grinding and the pay off is not worth it at all. Definitely one of the low points in the 8-bit RPG pantheon.
    Pokemon AlphaSapphire (3DS) - 27 hours

I played this with two teams of foreign pokemon. With their innate EXP boost and EXP-Share, it turns out that I could have actually raised three in-game teams! So, yeah, I spent most of my time overleveled and covered in Repel. Hence 27 hours for the core campaign AND Delta Episode + E4 Rematch.

My teams were: 1) Granbull, Ferrothorn, Snorlax, Primeape, Kingdra, and Golurk; 2) Mega-Mawile, Butterfree, Pangoro, Furfrou, Dragagle, and Milotic.

P.S.: The Butterfree was not the weak link. It swept Gym Leader Wallace and Rematch Drake.
    ClixPsi.png
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Version (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy

Compared to Darksiders 1, I don't like this one as much. First part of the story was okay, then it got odd and had a complete change of scenery which I did not like. I drudged through it, and the last areas made up for it. Overall, story was meh, I wasn't fond of the Diablo style loot system, and the battle system tried to be Bayonetta/DMC but couldn't pull off either effectively. Sadly combat WAS the saving grace for me in this game, albeit barely. Here's hoping Darksiders III is more like the original than the sequel.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited August 5
    Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II - PC

It's a strange RTS compared to other but it definitely has a deep story, that spans three games
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 5
    Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception (Vita)

That was a surprising amount of fun for a game I picked up on a whim. Unfortunately, it's not something that can be universally recommended; the beginning is glacially slow (it takes 7+ hours for the story to get going), it definitely shows its roots as an "adult" game with several instances of women in scantily clad (humorous?) situations that I could have done without, and its more visual novel than SRPG (I think it was 16-17 battles in 40 hours, though most normal players seem to finish it in around 30hrs). But the characters are unique and charming and the story gets really good towards the end. It is some historical ideas mixed in with fantasy with a heaping helping of Anime to top it off. If you have a tolerance for the typical foibles of visual novels it's worth checking out.

I'm looking forward to where they go with the second part of this story; hopefully it will hit the ground running and have a few more battles.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited August 8
    Splatoon 2 (Switch) - Finished the Single Player campaign and hit level 30, so I feel its a good time to report in with it.

While the campaign in this game was similar in feel to the first one, it came across as more polished and focused than the first, making the experience fun enough to warrant running. Overall Splatoon 2 is a pretty satisfying sequel. I'm really liking how many different modes there are with League, Turf War, the recent Splatfest, Ranked, and Salmon Run come together allowing you to pick and choose what you're looking for, especially if you're not a fan of the current map cycle in one of them. Allowing you to scrub and customize gear slots is a really nice added feature as well that, while grindy, makes you feel like you're accomplishing a little something while playing. From a balance perspective Splatoon 2 also seems a lot more fun to play, as right now theres really only one Weapon and Special that are tuned a little too highly. On the whole I'm having a great time with the game, though Ive pretty much been at it solo the entire time since none of my friends have it yet.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Path of Exile (PC) - Completed the original 4 story acts just before the new expansion released and added six more, so I'm counting that as the base game beat. On to Oriath!
    Kirby Triple Deluxe(3DS)

A bit on the easy side, manage to get all sun stones with Kirby. But it was a fun time as always with a Kirby game :)
    sig.gif
    edited August 11
    Sid Meier's Civilization V (PC)

at last I finally manage to finish a game of Civilization 5 :)
    sig.gif
    Ombres wrote: »
    Sid Meier's Civilization V

Should I be assuming PC?
    ClixPsi.png
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Oh man, it's been forever since I've beaten anything... until now!

Mass Effect: Andromeda: XBONE

I wish I hadn't been so ADD with this one. I'd play for 3 hours straight and then not pick up the story for a month. That being said, I still feel like the characters don't have the same charm as the cast of the first 3 games. Gameplay was a mixed bag. It's been years since I've had this many glitches playing a campaign. I can't count on two hands how many times I got stuck in the geometry. Gunplay and powers were tight and fun as expected, and the extra mobility made it even more fun. But they nerfed half of what was so fun about ME. No more pause and plan gameplay, no controlling your squads loadouts and power usage. Overall, big plus and big minus cancel each other out I suppose.

Multiplayer has been fun, although it was unplayable for the first couple weeks.
    The Walking Dead: Season 3 - Episode 1: Ties That Bind (PS4)

So as usual, I've waited until the physical copy containing all episodes to play through the latest season of The Walking Dead. Unfortunately for me, this "physical copy" only contains episode 1 on it, with a season pass to download the rest of the episodes. What the hell, Telltale? The previous two collections had every episode on disc! The sole reason I don't get these in the episodic format to begin with is to avoid the downloads, but for some reason its forced on you here regardless. I swear man, this is the most pissed I've been at a developer in some time. Its especially bad when you consider that the only episode on disc actually crashed on me 3 times at the same spot before I could finally move forward.

As for what I think of the first episode itself, it was alright I guess. I was really disappointed in what happened with Clem's backstory given my previous choices, but I did like the newly introduced characters and the think on your feet decision making the series is known for. I'd probably enjoy the rest of the episodes too, but I'm not sure if I have the patience in me to go through the downloads.
    Clix wrote: »
    Ombres wrote: »
    Sid Meier's Civilization V

Should I be assuming PC?

Indeed sorry
    sig.gif
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    The Walking Dead: Season 3 - Episode 1: Ties That Bind (PS4)

So as usual, I've waited until the physical copy containing all episodes to play through the latest season of The Walking Dead. Unfortunately for me, this "physical copy" only contains episode 1 on it, with a season pass to download the rest of the episodes. What the hell, Telltale? The previous two collections had every episode on disc! The sole reason I don't get these in the episodic format to begin with is to avoid the downloads, but for some reason its forced on you here regardless. I swear man, this is the most pissed I've been at a developer in some time. Its especially bad when you consider that the only episode on disc actually crashed on me 3 times at the same spot before I could finally move forward..

I HATE the season pass discs they've started doing. They are the most pointless thing, as they don't benefit fans of digital or physical media. The worst of both worlds. They've done this with Batman and GotG, but not Minecraft Story Mode. No explanation for their logic on it except to trick people into buying early.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Icey (PS4, 4 hours) - A fun 2D action game with a lot of MGS2-style meta elements. I liked this enough to go out of my way for the platinum
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Sam & Max 101 Culture Shock (PC)

that was funny and silly!
    sig.gif
    Pony Island(PC)

just a weird game, but at least some of the puzzle were interesting!

btw Clix your too fast, I told myself, I will edit my previous post, but you already put it in the list! LOL

But seriously, you are doing a great job, thanks for it :)
    sig.gif
    Macstorm wrote: »
    I HATE the season pass discs they've started doing. They are the most pointless thing, as they don't benefit fans of digital or physical media. The worst of both worlds. They've done this with Batman and GotG, but not Minecraft Story Mode. No explanation for their logic on it except to trick people into buying early.

Thanks Mac, I'm glad I'm not the only one alone an island feeling like this here. A rough estimate of the size of updates for the 4 remaining episodes plus updates is a good 15gb, which is a rough download for me. Why they couldn't just, you know, use the actual space on the physical media provided is mind-boggling to me. I did my research with the previous two collections to make sure downloading was not required. So I figured I didn't even need to think about this one, but ended up being blindsided. I'm probably going to go a little against my principles here and download the remaining episodes elsewhere, but from there on I'm done with Telltale unless they change their stance on this issue. Its a real shame, because I was probably going to check out all those Batman games once they were done. Appreciate the warning about them Mac.
    Glad to warn. I don't mind getting these digitally if there is no other choice, but I sure HATE the season pass disc concept. The prior games were on disc after the end of the season, so just watch the release date and check for the "season pass disc" label in the future.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS)

A good one to pass the time on transoceanic flights. Man, was the final level rough, though! Four series of nothing but death traps, including two sections that managed to have 95% of all flat surfaces covered in spiky insta-death. X_X

The story ended on a bit of a flat note, so I'm assuming there will be a sequel coming eventually to pick up where it left off.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Finished my first playthrough of Collar x Malice (Vita). It was rather interesting and enjoyable, like it when VNs put more focus on the overall mystery. Will probably do another route or two before writing a review for somewhere else, as the split is pretty early and there's lots more aspects of the mystery to find out about (one of the bad ends in this route seemed to be connected to events in another route, basically giving a teeny sample of it).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited August 15
    The Walking Dead: Season 3 - Episode 2: Ties That Bind Part 2 (PS4)
    The Walking Dead: Season 3 - Episode 3: Above the Law (PS4)
    The Walking Dead: Season 3 - Episode 4: Thicker than Water (PS4)
    The Walking Dead: Season 3 - Episode 5: From the Gallows (PS4)

Got around to downloading and finishing this season. I have tons of thoughts on this set of episodes, but I'll try to keep things relatively brief. Starting off, there really is no excuse whatsoever for the 11 times total that I experienced a hard crash wherein I had to completely redo a specific scene. I'm normally okay with some hiccups here and there, but an average of 2 crashes an episode is just plain irritating on top of everything else.

Looking at the rest of the episodes as a whole, like many others I feel this season was a pretty big step down from the previous two, but not for exactly the same reasons I see crop up online. Lots of people point to Clem being a supporting character, or not being a big fan of the new/kinda small cast introduced in this game. There's no problem with that for me. What I do dislike is how many choices are geared towards siding with Clem or a family member that the player is predisposed towards liking. There's also a small issue where a few of the more important choices seemingly did nothing to alter the direction of the story. In general I also think that the scenario writing in the game was very weak. Stuff like Clem's backstory, the predicaments the characters find themselves in, and their reactions to these events are underdeveloped, lack intensity, and at times make very little logical sense. What I did like in Season 3 was Javi and Kate as characters, and there were a few shock moments that happened early on in Episodes 1 and 2 that hit hard and fast.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Looked some stuff up, and of course I got the Bad ending on Shantae & The Pirate's Curse (3DS), so I went back, found the last bit of dark magic, and got the Good ending. The final boss battle has three more stages if you go that route.

Also did the standard mode and story mode on Kuru Kuru Chameleon DS, which only really differ in that the second has a flimsy set of excuses for the player's chosen character to fight everyone. Did try out the endless mode as well, but by the 13th stage, the AI was getting too good for me.