If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2017 Completed Game List

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited August 17
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    *lots of stuff that I agree with completely*

I also didn't mind the shift to Clem as a side character. Honestly, I could have done without her being in the game at all. Everything felt rushed and there was very little impact for me, as I also liked the relationship built between Javy and Kate, as it was a nice dynamic, but then they had to shoehorn Clem and the kid in. Ugh.

The choices were as bad as you say. One late game choice apparently worked well if you chose to side with one character and was completely brushed off if you went the other way, just rushed and sloppy. I'm glad the next TWD game will be the last in this series, because it has lost its magic, at least with this path.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Children of Zodiarcs (Steam) -- review to come once I get my head wrapped around it properly. That game got bleak by the end.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Finished Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth - Book One: From the Ashes (PS4). Point-and-click adventure rather than an RPG but will likely write a deep look up during the week.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PS4, 75 hours) - It didn't start strong, at least in terms of the story, but it sure did end well. Great villains this time, too.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PS4, 75 hours) - It didn't start strong, at least in terms of the story, but it sure did end well. Great villains this time, too.

Thought I would ask, but how is the plot of XIV shaping up expansion by expansion compared to XI? From what I can grasp reading random tidbits here and there, XIV is actually sequential and continual in its continuity, while XI largely ditched that idea after CoP. Has this helped XIV, you think?
    ClixPsi.png
    It has definitely helped because there is a strong draw to go back and see what all these characters are up to and you feel like the world is shaping up around you like in a non MMO. The downside is that it's going to take a time investment to catch up for people starting from scratch who don't want to use the story skip item you can buy.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Yakuza Kiwami (PS4) -- Review to come!
    Abzû (PS4, 2 hours) - My favorite of the Journey/Flower style games. I like sea life.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator (Steam) -- So I really liked this. It's not perfect, but I love how it handles being inclusive. I dated Mat, and now I want to do another playthrough and see some of the other stories. I REALLY liked Mat's story though. <3
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited August 28
    The Silver Case (PS4)

Back in 1999, The Silver Case was probably a really strong Visual Novel. Re-released now on the PS4, however, I can't help but have mixed feelings. The Silver Case tries its best to be stylistic, avant-garde, and just plain different from other games and how stuff is presented. In many cases this works very well. For example, I love how the character portraits change as you play different chapters and from different points of view. The color scheme and design of settings is often shifting and helps set the mood for whats to come. Unfortunately, leaving so many major plot points up to interpretation or highly ambigious can make events a struggle to understand. Especially when the old school visuals are unclear. For example, there are characters who die in a portrait shot, but I had no idea who they were based off that picture alone. Another is an explosion that happens where I wasn't sure what location was being blown up. The game also suffers a bit from a problem that the older Phoenix Wrights do, in that not all of the cases are connected to one another. Going into The Silver Case I expected a more central plot based on the name and description, not a bunch of different cases in which only some ended up being truly relevant. Its unfortunate, because the last case in this game was extremely interesting, but paced horribly and not nearly enough time was devoted to telling it. You have to go through a bunch of long corridors and identical locations only to read documents, some of which say basically the same thing in a slightly different way. It would have been nice to have more budget and more build up for this one. Other tidbits I can think of is that the music was quite strong. It works fantastically as background music to get you into whatever is going on. I might have actually completely lost interest and stopped playing without since at the midway point I was tired of how decentralized the tale was at the time but one of the songs was stuck in my head.

All told it was a weird and different game that held my interest, but I ultimately didn't enjoy it as much as other favorite VNs.
    Full Throttle Remastered (Vita, 3 hours) - My favorite of the DF/LA games by far, though I think that was because it was more straightforward than those and less about puzzles.

PS: I think my hours and count are slightly off, and FE: Echoes is missing the playtime (32 hours)
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    The hours were actually correct, funny enough; I just forgot to include the note about FE2's hours, but I did add them. You were, however, most certainly correct about the court. I somehow had accounted three extra games for you. Guess I will go ahead and tally everyone else up, since I am sure this means those three belonged to someone(s) else.
    ClixPsi.png
    Thanks, Clix.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    So, I'm trying a new thing here. I'm spending a lot of time playing mobile games lately. I prefer handhelds anyway, so I trying many of the premium experiences that abound on the platform. When I get far enough in the scenarios provided, I'll post that as a "completion" here (akin to some of the episodic games out there that are unfinished). I have a lot to post now, so bear with me....

Shantae: Pirate Queen's Quest (PC - Steam)
    So, shenanigans happened and I ended up getting the Steam codes for Half Genie Hero and its DLC Pirate Queen's Quest from the Kickstarter I backed long ago. The PSVita code for the DLC is still being delivered (mostly on the Sony Consoles), so Wayforward just gifted many people Steam codes for the game. Debating on whether or not to play it on PC for like an hour, I jumped in on PC and found myself with quite the experience. The DLC is Risky's version of events of the original games plot, ultimately having her go back into the same stages Shantae traversed in her story with a few twists. Playing each of the stages gives you one of the pirate gear abilities from the previous game, Pirates Curse, along with a few extras. Though I found myself not really enjoying de-powered Risky, getting pieces of her kit back after each boss is super empowering. It felt good to feel as broken as I was in the last game. And BOY do you need that for the final stage. Quite rom-hacky, but very rewarding culminating in one of my favorite boss battles this year. This comes highly recommended if you enjoyed Half Genie Hero or Pirates Curse.

Fire Emblem: Heroes: Prologue - Chapter 9 (Mobile - Android)
    The first of which is Nintendo's latest game on the platform, Fire Emblem Heroes. This game is one of my first experiences for a mobile phone game with this much polish. To be honest, it is not half bad. It is a very light version of the Fire Emblem you know and love. Characters available are from many series games with more coming, with special versions of characters during special events. This is also my first experience with a "gacha" game where you either earn in-game currency or purchase it with real money. You then use that currency to buy a random selection of characters available. Thankfully, since I have next to no background on the series, I didn't have any reason to relentlessness pursue my favorite characters and just enjoy the game. When the game first came out earlier this year, I made it to Chapter 9, which was the first big break in the original run of content of the game. It culminates in a battle with who is effectively the Disk 1 Boss, so I'm counting it here. However, I'm not sure if I will continue with this game, nothing truly grabs me with the content here.

Fate/Grand Order: Singularity Point F - Fuyuki (Mobile - Android)
    Fate/Grand Order: Event: Does Moon Goddess Dream of Dumplings (Mobile - Android)
    So, I originally wasn't going to play this game at all. I was happy it made it stateside, but I was convinced it was going to be much more like the standard mobile game fair. However, since I getting into game development as a hobby, I figured I'd see what it is like for future game research. What I found was something much more like the spin-off games in the Nasuverse franchise. What this means is a EXHAUSTIVE story with huge case of characters and dialogue worthy of visual novels. On top of all that, this game feels like a competent turn-based rpg, albeit a bit simple. The two scenario's above each took me hours to complete even the base story of them, and the least said about the dumpling grinding for the event the better... Also, I didn't expect to nerd out over the many characters in the game, but I quickly found myself doing so after the game started tugging at my love of fairy tales and legends with the new Heroic Spirits. Where else could you pall around with teen Alexander and "Carmilla" while following around in the adventures of Marie Antoinette and Mozart in stopping an evil Jean d'Arc? It's bonkers and I love it. More on that once I figure hour how to defeat The Dragon Witch.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - PC

Beat the base 3.0 content
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    Aww yeah! Good stuff. Time for Stormblood.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Stormblood is even better than the HW content, TAM.

"Please look forward to it!"
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited September 5
    ABZÜ (PC)

very great looking game and with perfect ambiance music!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    Ombres wrote: »
    ABZÜ

very great looking game and with perfect ambiance music!

PS4?
    ClixPsi.png
    edited September 2
    Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiark Age (PS4) - 54 hours

I technically beat the story on Thu night, but I was not sure if I wanted to count this as complete or not. I was still debating on tackling the post-game for once and aim for the Platinum, but I have decided against it. I have so many other games to play, and the post-game just seems way too stressful from what little I have tried of it the past two days.

It was nice to finally play the International version of the game, and the various extra touch-ups were stupendous. While I definitely consider this version to be significantly better than the original, I do not know if it would necessarily rank higher on my FF Rankings in the same way the IV vs. IVDS does.

Also, 4X Speed is amazing, but I am terrified to see such crack speed in any other game of this series.
    ClixPsi.png
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Azure Striker Gunvolt - Switch, 2 hours

Via the Striker Pack which I reviewed - the easy mode in ASG 1 is almost insultingly so.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor

Not just yet I gotta work throug the storline items between 3.0 and 4.0
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Shaymin wrote: »
    Azure Striker Gunvolt - Switch, 2 hours

Via the Striker Pack which I reviewed - the easy mode in ASG 1 is almost insultingly so.

You did not include hours for P5. If you wish for me to track your hours, please let me know.
    ClixPsi.png

Not just yet I gotta work throug the storline items between 3.0 and 4.0

I felt like these were much better paced than the 2.0 to 3.0 content was, so really good dungeons and a more focused story.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Windjammers (Vita, 1 hour) - Gonna play more of this because it's a blast, but I did finish the single player mode and got credits, so hey!
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited September 4
    My brother bought Diablo III (PS4) again because he wanted to play as a necromancer. He forgot I didn't like Diablo III when I played it solo upon release or when we played it co-op after the expansion came out, and I thought he remembered I didn't like it but prefers to play games in this genre co-op. He asked me to play it with him again, I agreed because it wasn't that bad, and once we finished there was an awkward conversation like (me speaking first): "I still don't like this game." "Then why did you play it again?" "Because you asked me to." "Oh, I forgot you didn't like it. I would have played it solo."

Oh well.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited September 4
    Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4) - The big surprise to me was how much I enjoyed the story. I go into games like this with low expectations and was impressed by a plot and setting so interesting, deep, and cohesive. For a protagonist in a linear story with no agency, Aloy has to be one of the most well-developed and relatable characters I've seen.

EDIT: Looked it up right after posting, and the narrative director also worked on Fallout: New Vegas, which explains a lot as that's a game with story moments and characters that have stuck with me over the years.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Clix wrote: »
    You did not include hours for P5. If you wish for me to track your hours, please let me know.

85 hours for P5.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    Shaymin wrote: »
    Clix wrote: »

85 hours for P5.

All up to date.
    ClixPsi.png
    FFXIV Heavanward - PC (All Patches)

Now once my wife catches up it's off to Stormblood.
    sig.gif