If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2017 Completed Game List

Comments

• ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (PS4)

Wow. Just absolutely wow, I don't know what else to say. Its my favorite in the series for sure. The music grew on me throughout, and the comedy is a perfect match for my tastes, blowing every other game I've ever played out of the water. Whole experience lived up to my expectations and then some.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I'm with you there, though 1 still slightly tops this one for a few reasons. I loved the cast and story of this one better than the others, much more than 2, but I still want to trim down just some of the padded mini games during trials just a bit to streamline things. I wanted more non stop debates and less hangman's gambits/psyche taxi. Still love it though, especially the final three trials.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (3DS via GBC VC) Linked game, 16 hours

Well, I have finally cleared the Oracle games. Hurrah. These were among the first that I played back when I was a child, but I never got very far. My younger brother tried, but he was blocked by Onox (the final boss of Seasons) and Twinrova (penultimate linked game boss)--after rage quitting against Onox, he used a cleared file (used game) to link to Ages, hence the Twinrova attempt. Having cleared both, I can say that I don't blame my brother. Onox and Twinrova are quite hard. Though I think it says a lot that my gaming skills are only marginally better than my brothers were 15 years ago when he was 9. I am terrible at Zelda games, let this fact never be disputed.

As for Seasons vs. Ages, I feel like Ages is the better game. It just has way more going for it. However, it is also extremely cruel. While I made it through a third of Seasons without a guide, I had to pull one out for Ages as of the first dungeon. The hardest part of the game was easily the mini-game hell before Dungeon 6. Most of those Goron mini-games were impossible for me, so I had to cheat. Since this was a VC game, I abused Restore States to clear my way through one step at a time. I am ashamed to say it, but I knew that there was no way that I could have otherwise gotten through that. Still, between level design, mechanics, and side characters, I just feel like Ages was the more fleshed out game between the two. Seasons was almost original-game level of bare-bones. Sure, the Oracle project started out as a remake of the first game, but Seasons felt like it was taking it too far.
    ClixPsi.png
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Finished Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (PS4), agree with Mac that it was better than 2 but 1 still just about tops it.
    I'm cool with how the ending turned out, mirrors some thoughts I was having prior to the release.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    I'll toss Metronomicon (PC) on here because I replayed every song on hard over the last week or two. No cutscenes or credit roll, but I played it from start to finish again.

I beat Drakengard 3 (PS3) earlier this year but was stuck at ending D's final unholy abomination of a genre swap. I couldn't get it even using a YouTube video to help because the timing is so awkward, and held off on listing it here in case I got bored enough to go to back to it later, but it's been a long time and I haven't had the interest.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited October 11
    RBI Baseball 2017 (Switch) - Completed a season and won the World Series, which is pretty much 100% completing the game. About a 40 hour process due to excessive simming.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • omegabyteomegabyte Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Final Fantasy III (aka Final Fantasy VI) - SNES Classic Mini

Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Agents of Mayhem (PS4) -- This game is delightfully mindless. It's not Saint's Row, but it still has some of the fun trappings and that works for me.
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    Bioshock: Infinite (PC)

Now I just need to wrap my head around the ending.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    Lassic wrote: »

Well, see... there is a man, a lighthouse, and a city...
    First Switch game finished in the form of Golf Story (Switch). Took around fourteen hours to get through, nice touch when it zooms out on the world map at the very end :P
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited October 16
    redwing42 wrote: »

I hope there will be a day when I can match your "eloquence". :tongue:

• SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

To be quite honest, this is the game where I said I needed to make sure I get a Switch day one for. I absolutely loved this game... at first. The more I played it, the more it wore on me that the things I wanted the most for the game were almost always more of an obstacle then anything else.

Salmon Run, the mode I was looking forward to the most, is mostly lauded for the strict availability times it has. Surprisingly, that was not my problem. My problem was the weapons it locks you into per day. If you are lucky, you will have only weapons that you really are good with to use. If you are unlucky, the weapons you have available are not only the ones you suck with but also the ones your random teammates will be bad with tool. The strict weapons selection always drags the mode down, even before you cant really coordinate or prefer random players to have successful runs. It's nothing short of maddening. Story mode is cute but ultimately fluff at the best and a hair pulling mess at the worse. Bosses are nearly always fun, however.

I will likely be shelving this soon. The multiplayer is pretty good, but looses it's edge when you don't have consistent friends to play with. Oh well, at least it was a pretty good game.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited October 20
    redwing42 wrote: »

I hope there will be a day when I can match your "eloquence". :tongue:

And a girl

Edit:
    Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood - PC

Beat the main story, and I can definitely see where WoW has gotten influence for trying to provide a more cohesive story.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (PS4)

An amazing Ys game, and definitely one of the longest in the series. Exploration was the name of the game this time, and there was a lot of it. The story was well done, with beautiful areas and music. The true ending was obtained for this (there are 3 endings dependent on how much side stuff you did). A must get for any Ys fan, and also a real heartwarming one.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (PC)
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Fire Emblem Warriors (Switch) - 15 hours for first credits.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Super Mario RPG (SNES)

Well I am glad to have finally manage to finish this one, I must say I really not a fan of isometric view!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    Layton's Mystery Journey (3DS), about 15 hours. A decent enough Layton game, Katrielle is a fun character. As mentioned on the podcast, wish that it wasn't so heavy on the trick puzzles, and the "culprits" of most the cases were fairly easy to guess, but still good fun.
    edited October 23
    FFXIV: Stormblood 4.1 patch (this does not need to be a seperate entry) - PC
    \
    Love all that they keep adding into this game.

Edit:
    Cosmic Star Heroine - PS4

This game was a lot of fun, felt a little short and I know I missed quite a bit but 44% trophy on a first play through isn't to bad for me
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Ombres wrote: »
    Super Mario RPG (SNES)

Well I am glad to have finally manage to finish this one, I must say I really not a fan of isometric view!

I agree. It really can be a tad odd to process movement in isometric view. I liked the game, but I do find it odd to be counted as a must-play classic. I felt like it just wasn't a very meaty game.
    ClixPsi.png
    FFXIV: Stormblood 4.1 patch (this does not need to be a seperate entry) - PC
    \
    Love all that they keep adding into this game.

Edit:
    Cosmic Star Heroine - PS4

This game was a lot of fun, felt a little short and I know I missed quite a bit but 44% trophy on a first play through isn't to bad for me

Tried to catch it before you updated but I missed with Cosmic Star Heroine - PS4
    sig.gif

• OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Clix wrote: »
    Ombres wrote: »
    Super Mario RPG (SNES)

I agree. It really can be a tad odd to process movement in isometric view. I liked the game, but I do find it odd to be counted as a must-play classic. I felt like it just wasn't a very meaty game.

Indeed, I agree that it weird cause it is a really basic RPG, really too easy too!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (NGC) - 33 hours

Despite this having been a Day 1 purchase back when I was a kid, I never once finished it or even played "too much." See, my younger brother was the better Zelda player, so he ended up playing it really. That said, his crippling childhood fear of ReDeads caused me to suddenly become responsible for the Earth Temple. Even after I cleared it, though, I kept playing, handling most of the endgame exploration. That said, my brother did ultimately clear it himself, and subsequent playthroughs down the line were older-brother-help-free, since he eventually overcame his fear of ReDeads.

I was mostly surprised at how emotional I got at the beginning and end. Having lost my last grandparent less than two years ago (a grandmother at that), the leaving home sequence got my teary-eyed. I also choked up a little bit at the ending with the final farewells between the King and the kid heroes. I think it is always a shame that there are people out there that denounce the game on just its artstyle, despite the numerous merits the game possesses. If you noticed, I played the original version, not the WiiU one. While I did have the benefit of using the Wii's component cables to achieve progressive scan, that's still just 480p only on a 39" screen. The game really does look just as good as it did when it came out, which is an incredible feat for a 2002/3 video game.

Overall, I do like the game, but I still do think the pacing is completely shot. The islands only become fully explorable at the end, and the number of collectibles is numbing. Since the game only has six boss fights that drop heart containers, that leaves a ludicrous 44 heart pieces to collect. I gave up once I got to 3/4 of the total possible hearts. This is one of the easier entries, so I didn't feel as desperate to gather up all the possible insurance that I could muster. Really, with the open world focus, user-friendliness, and lack of full game content out of the box due to developmental time constraints, I think Nintento were 10+ years ahead of the time for this one! No one it was misunderstood. Now it's an example of industry orthodoxy. Truly just as revolutionary as Ocarina of Time.
    ClixPsi.png
    Fire Emblem Warriors (Switch) story mode finished (about 13 hours). Want to give history mode a quick go to see how that works as that seems to be where you're primarily meant spend your time afterwards.
    Just finished South Park: The Fractured But Whole (PC). It's a little less ESRB-pushing outrageous than Stick of Truth, but this is a relative thing. It's still 10 times more outrageous than anything else on the market.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War (XBONE) Well crafted story about the pointless nature of war and those truly affected by it. Generally light puzzles that weren't challenging, outside a couple instances.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    South Park: Fractured but Whole (PS4)
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited October 29
    Just finished Stella Glow (3DS) and saw the good/true ending. I went with Rusty's Ending, though I'll likely use the battle suspend save to see the other endings. That true ending was genuinely heartwarming. :)

Still a great game, and Imageepoch's best. One odd thing I noticed in this playthrough is how the battle quotes are a little on the dull side. I mean "you shall take this attack?" Really? The localization during most of the game is quite good, but it's like they got lazy with the battle quotes. Ah well.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs