If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2017 Completed Game List

Comments

• omegabyteomegabyte Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Just wrapped up Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection (PC). Won't say anything yet, but watch for a review on Oct. 31.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    My brother bought Nex Machina (PS4) for us to play co-op. It's a pretty, twin-stick schmup with a dash of bullet hell thrown in for bosses. We enjoyed it and it's a great game, but we knew going in that it was very short. It's designed to be replayed to perfection -- high scores, secret exits, humans to save, higher difficulties with a handful of continues -- and that doesn't appeal to us. I would have happily played it for 10 hours instead of 2 if it had more levels or less of a difficulty jump between normal and hard.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Wheels of Aurelia (Switch, 1 hour) - An interesting concept for a decision making focused game, but it doesn't quite come together.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    After finishing Fractured But Whole, I had a strong desire to replay South Park: The Stick of Truth (PC). Definitely think the story in Stick of Truth is better overall, but a lot of the side stuff in Fractured But Whole is better. The environment interaction is definitely better in SoT, but I definitely prefer FBW's combat and interface. Both are great games
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Summon Night 6 (PS4/Vita), working on a review but it won't be as positive as God Wars.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Koihime Enbu (PC via Steam)
    Finished this a few weeks ago visiting some friends in college. The host just put me in front of it, and before I knew it, I was finishing an arcade story for a character I picked on a whim. Good game and fun systems for a fighter.

Skullgirls (PC via Steam)
    This will likely end up on my list yearly. I was plugging away at a few more stories and arcade modes for the DLC characters. I love Robo Fortune.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PC via Steam)
    So, I was really craving MvC after seeing videos and tourneys for Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. Since the game isn't finished yet, in my opinion, I figured I'd take advantage of the recent PC re-release of the 3 and I absolutely love it. It's a nice way to plug up idle time and work out some stress. Love this game, hopefully MvCI will soon be as good as it.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Ys VII: PSP. Replay. I really enjoyed this replay up until the final boss and then I remembered how much of a chore it was.

Costume Quest 2: 360.Quick, fun, decent amount of classes with several ways to play. I miss playing these 4-6 hour short burst RPGs and need more again.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited November 1
    Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series - Episode 4: Who Needs You (PS4)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - 100% Platinum Trophy (PS4)

Just an update, this game has been platinum'd.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited November 2
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (3DS)

I got to 20000 and beat Chaos, so I think that qualifies. I've been poking at this off and on for months, playing a couple songs at night before bed. I think I liked the structure of the original game better, but there is so much more music in this one, and that is the real appeal.
    Moon Hunters (Switch, 2 hours) - I agree with Sam's review, this is a fun game, but playing it solo is a little lacking. At least the replays a quick, but I've had enough fun for now.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Moon Hunters (Switch, 2 hours) - I agree with Sam's review, this is a fun game, but playing it solo is a little lacking. At least the replays a quick, but I've had enough fun for now.

I'm impressed that you keep finding Switch games that take less than ten hours to finish.
    ClixPsi.png
    The indie flood it's getting right now is full of them, it seems. Howlongtobeat.com is a great resource for finding out, too.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    LiEat (PC, via Steam) -- Really enjoyed this quick little RPG gem! The battle system is nothing special, but the storytelling between the three parts really kept me engaged and coming back for more. May review this providing I have some free time that isn't Extra Life right now!
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Fire Emblem Warriors - Switch

As a fan of Dynasty Warrior style games this was right up my alley. One of the big improvements to this game compared to Hyrule Warriors is that you auto pick up materials so you don't have to actually run over them to get them.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    .hack//G.U. Vol. 1: Rebirth (PC) as part of .hack//G.U. Last Recode. Debated whether i should count these as separate or the whole thing as one, decided to count them as separate since they're still separated within the game. I'll review the whole package when I've completed it, but for now, here are some of the goods and bads:

The visuals aren't a huge upgrade, but it's still definitely noticeable, especially during the CGI cutscenes which look terrific. I never noticed this when I played the PS2 originals, probably because of the low resolution, but character mouths don't move when they're talking during in-engine cutscenes, except when the engine cuts into closer-up camera angles. It's a bit jarring, but I got used to it. I expect the better resolution highlights the discrepancy more than was intended.

Rebirth has always been my least favorite of the three. The story gets off to a great start, this much is true, but the gameplay still hasn't come into its own yet. It's not bad by any means, but it's not complete at this point, which is a definite drawback. Reminisce, which is my favorite game in the series, improves on almost everything, so I'm excited to be getting into that now.
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice (3DS) -- Really loved the build in this installment. Also grew to really love Apollo as a character as well. :) Love this series!
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel [PC] Whee, now to wait for the PC release of 2 I guess. Onto Zwei!
    Final Fantasy All the Bravest - Android

Completed the base game, level 89 with ~80% of base collectables. It was fun and something I can play in the background while waiting for dungeon queu's. Although my wife did ask me at one point if I was okay cause of my shaking my hand (was doing this on PC)
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• Winter9Winter9 NorwayFull Members
    Winter 9 - Games Finished: 12

PS4
    The Last Guardian

PC
    Dear Esther (via Steam)

PSVita
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (originally on PSP)

MOBILE
    Dragon Quest
    Dragon Quest IV
    Final Fantasy
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy IV: Interlude
    Final Fantasy V
    Chutulu Saves the World
    Chrono Trigger
    Bastion

Feel free to add me on The Backloggery too if you want to, I'm Winter9 there too ^^
  • Winter9Winter9 NorwayFull Members
    Winter 9 - Games Finished: 12

PS4
    The Last Guardian - 25 hours

PC
    Dear Esther (via Steam) - 1 hours

PSVita
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (originally on PSP) - 79 hours
    Final Fantasy IV - (or. PSP) - 64 hours
    Final Fantasy IV: Interlude - (or. PSP) - 6 hours

MOBILE (iOS)
    Dragon Quest - 15 hours
    Dragon Quest IV - 71 hours
    Final Fantasy - 28 hours
    Final Fantasy V - 43 hours
    Chutulu Saves the World - 30 hours
    Chrono Trigger - 40 hours
    Bastion - 6 hours

Updated with hours and moved the ones I had put in a wrong place.
    Winter9 .... it's Cthulhu saves the world
    sig.gif

.hack//G.U. Vol. 2: Reminisce (PC) as part of .hack//G.U. Last Recode. This volume improves on the first in so many ways, the most notable being the second job extension bringing out the best in the combat system. This was the first game I've played that allowed quick and rapid switching of weapons in combat, and only a few have made use of the technique since then. All three of Haseo's weapons feel very different from each other, which really makes it stand out. There's no best weapon, it depends on the situation. Broadswords are useful for dealing with armored enemies, as well as enemies that are easily knocked into the air. Twin Swords are useful for knocking down flying foes, and also have the best single-target damage, making them useful for bosses too. And the scythe has a huge arc range, making it very useful against multiple foes.

Normally this would put me at 2/3 of the way through the series, but with the fourth volume they added for Last Recode, I suppose that puts me half way through? Depends on how long volume 4 is, I guess. Anyways, I've always had mixed feelings about volume 3. The story and characters reach their final arc, and it's terrific, but I always found the dual guns to be really, really overpowered.
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (PS4) That was a really excellent Ys game. It seems like the popular sentiment is that there is "too much Trails in Ys," and I'm not sure this needed to be a 40 hour game, but I really liked the way the story wrapped up in the final two chapters. I mean the music and combat was top notch as always, but I thought the story held its own this time. Its also impressive how good this game looks considering it started its life as a Vita game. All-around great game and probably in the top-5 of 2017 so far for me.
    Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series (PS4, 10 hours) - Some good moments, but ultimately didn't stand out much. More later.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series - Episode 5: Don't Stop Don't Stop Believin' (PS4) - An interesting ending, but I agree a lot of with Mac. This one didn't have a lot of oomph of satisfaction. It had some fun moments, but ultimately for me it was pretty flat.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Mega Man (Mega Man Anniversary Collection) (Game Cube)

Well it have been too long since I finish that game, it was hard!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Nights of Azure 2 (Switch) finished, took around 20 hours. Some decent points but all a bit medicore really. Also 'B' should never be the confirm button.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited November 13
    I beat the 5th stratum of Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth (3DS) a few days ago. I had a lot of fun through the first 3 strata, then my enjoyment petered out. Once I settled on a party, combat didn't change or evolve any, and the puzzles and labyrinth aesthetics weren't as interesting to me after the 3rd. Maybe I should have played on the Advanced difficulty instead of Basic. A challenge would have given me something to think about.

I like having something mindless to play while watching NFL games, so I'll probably pick at the 6th stratum for a while even though it looks like a pain.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited November 13
    Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)

Wasn't sure what I expected going into Lost Legacy, but it looks like "Uncharted Lite" does indeed sum up the experience. It was a decent game for sure, I tend to think the single player of the typical Uncharted game is short, and this was about half that, so the game just went by in a flash. What I liked most about this one were the sights of the ancient Indian cities and the Queen's Ruby making the little treasures easier to find with a sound notification. This was the only Uncharted I actually bothered to look around a little for them. Could do with less of the stereotypical Banter in this series by now though. Yeah, it can be a fun take on dialogue, but they need to tone things down and actually build personalities rather than just figuring out the best way for each person to develop a snarky adventureous attitude. Basically I always manage to have a good time with these cinematic game rentals whenever they come around.