If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2017 Completed Game List

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Second game down for the day (go day off!) is Thimbleweed Park (PC via Steam). I love old school adventure games, though I will admit as I am getting older I have less patience for super obtuse puzzles. This one had it moments, but overall I found it wasn't too bad. I loved the writing and the humour and that's really why I kept playing it. Fun stuff here and the ending sequence is AMAZEBALLZ. Super clever!
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited April 27
    Sorcerer (PC)

Nothing much to say about this other than it's the sequel to Infocom's Enchanter and better than the first hour or so would imply.

Until Dawn (PS4)

I went from barely being about to force myself through the first 2 hours of this game in more than a year, to blazing through the last 5 hours in one day. Mechanically it is the best and most interesting of these kind of games... but wow do those characters start out annoying.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Lasercat (PC)

A friend of mine gifted this to me awhile back because it has a cute Owl friend in it. Decided to play through it because I wanted something short and relaxing. I don't usually play games that only take an hour or two to beat, but Lasercat was a pleasant little diversion if nothing else. It was very easy to pick up and play in a couple short bursts and the music was charming too.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Persona 5 (PS4, 66 hours) - Good stuff as I'm sure you all know. Have a few issues and need time to think about where I'd ranked it overall. Favorite of the year so far, though.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Persona 5 (PS4, 66 hours) - Good stuff as I'm sure you all know. Have a few issues and need time to think about where I'd ranked it overall. Favorite of the year so far, though.

I've had a while to think about it, and I definitely think it's my overall favorite of the series, just barely topping Persona 3. It's got a stronger presentation than either P3 or P4, and all the things that P3 and P4 excel at individually, P5 matches or exceeds. P3's main plot I found to be far more interesting and well-conceived than P4's, but P5's is just as good, though I would still put P3's ending above P5's (then again, I don't think any game's ending will ever top P3's for me. It's perfect.) That said, the events leading up to said ending are way, way better in P5. The final calling card is one of my new favorite game scenes.

Similarly, P4 had a much stronger cast and better character development than P3, but P5 matches it beat for beat, and exceeds it in many places, especially when it comes to the interactions between the characters. The personalities in P5 mesh so well with each other, and the
    post-Tomb/Futaba
    events are incredibly well written. I was legitimately
    worried for Morgana throughout that whole subplot, and it was really fascinating how each of the main characters' own personalities and motivations drove the misunderstandings that unfolded. Ryuji's tactless attitudes, Futaba's skill at navigation outmatching Morgana's being a source of jealousy despite Futaba clearly caring about Morgana more than any other character, and even Morgana's own inability to say what's on his mind to the MC.
    While I think P4's cast as a whole is probably a bit stronger than P5's, I honestly think Morgana and Futaba are the best-written characters the series has produced.

And of course, the gameplay itself is way better. It maintains some of the challenge of the original P3 and P4, but with less of the blatantly unfair, cheap deaths that those games were known for. Yet it still manages to bring over all the enhancements of P3P and P4G WITHOUT the blatantly overpowered abilities of certain characters (I'm looking at you, Rise). Anyways, those are my thoughts after a few weeks of pondering.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited May 1
    Persona 5 (PS4): 94 hours, probably my fav game in the series all told, despite some awkward writing at times. The party became my favourite in the series as well, especially once the full circumstances surrounding the games framing device becomes clear.

Late game spoilers:
    I do wonder what became of Akechi in the real world though, the game just said he disappears.

Edit: Also, i think I've been listening to Rivers in the Desert on loop for like two hours now. That's a catchy track.
    Persona 5 (PS4): 94 hours, probably my fav game in the series all told, despite some awkward writing at times. The party became my favourite in the series as well, especially once the full circumstances surrounding the games framing device becomes clear.

Late game spoilers:
    I do wonder what became of Akechi in the real world though, the game just said he disappears.

Edit: Also, i think I've been listening to Rivers in the Desert on loop for like two hours now. That's a catchy track.

Spoiler hiding
    spoiler hiding
    spoiler hiding
    spoiler hiding...

It's his real body that dies on the ship, not his shadow, so of course he just disappears. He's dead and his body is stuck in the metaverse.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    Spoilers, continued:
    It's weird, because if you muck up the palace after that fight, he turns up to arrest you in the real world anyway.
    Just an oversight, I guess?
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Spoilers, continued:
    It's weird, because if you muck up the palace after that fight, he turns up to arrest you in the real world anyway.
    Just an oversight, I guess?

No, it's probably a hint. Expect the answer when they inevitably make Persona 5 Arena or the "golden" version of the game with more stuff.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Finally knocked out Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (DS) at 55 hours. I started this game back in 2014 and kept playing it on and off. It ended up being my commute game for awhile so I am thrilled I've knocked this one out. Overall, I really liked it, but doesn't capture the charm of Dragon Quest that I personally love and enjoy that came in IV and V. Still, I'm really glad I played through this one!
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages(GBC)

That one have been on my backlog for so long, I remember playing to this one not long after I meet my wife, 16 years ago!

I guess now to see the true ending I will need to do it with the password from Seasons.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4

I am really enjoying this new set of the tomb raider series and it has so much more depth then the originals I remember. They also set it up for a 3rd game as well and I can hardly wait.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    Hypersensitive Bob(PC)

well very short one, but it like a rogue lite, because your item and level that you will get are random, you unlock new character with different starting ability, but beside achivement hunting and unlucking every peak, that not much to do.
    sig.gif
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC) is finally wrapped up. Really fun game, but I don't think it quite lives up to SC's level. I'll have a review up in a day or two.
    Just did a quick playthrough of Bendy and the Ink Machine - Chapter 1: Moving Pictures (PC). Really short. Really, really short, but creepy as hell. Then again, chapter 1 is also free, so that might be part of it. I think i will grab the second chapter soon and give that a shot too.

Only found out about this game thanks to this video, amazing song:
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    Expeditions: Viking (PC) Great game, has some bugs and balance issues but I'm sure they will be fixed in time.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

Legend of Zelda, The - Oracle of Seasons(GBC)

Wow I did not think that it was a different game from Ages, it is two completely different Zelda that are connected, to get the real ending and the extra cave you need to beat both.
    That was fun :)
    sig.gif
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    Just Finished Persona 5 PS4 at 96:38 took a break from it for a few weeks till the devil summoner DLC came out, maxed out almost half of the confidants a one or two stuck at 8 or 9.
    Well that's 5 games in 5 months look like I'm gonna crush my record of 10 games in 2014, I'm not quite sure what game I'm gonna complete next, there aren't many upcoming games that I'm really interested in, but I'm probably gonna play persona for a bit more to try get more trophies as I'm trying to do at least 50% in all the ps4 games I play from now on.
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    I'm not quite sure what game I'm gonna complete next, there aren't many upcoming games that I'm really interested in, but I'm probably gonna play persona for a bit more to try get more trophies as I'm trying to do at least 50% in all the ps4 games I play from now on.

Well, if you need any help deciding, don't hesitate to ask for some backlog clearance guidance.

P.S.: Just to make sure that I have not missed anything, did you clear anything besides Ending A in Nier Automata? I still only have you at 36 hours, Ending A.
    ClixPsi.png
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    Clix wrote: »
    P.S.: Just to make sure that I have not missed anything, did you clear anything besides Ending A in Nier Automata? I still only have you at 36 hours, Ending A.
    Yea sry I forgot bout it So Nier Automata PS4 Endings ABCDEGJKLMOPTUWY at 65:40:22

I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited May 13
    Persona 5 (PS4). Maxed all confidants and it took around 130 hours for my playthrough. Chose Temperance as the waifu.

Theres no way I can adequately address how I feel about P5, but I'll try anyway. Its...exceedingly rare that a new game will ever break into my top 10 favorite games of all time, and P5 did just that. With the greatest of ease. The experience has been so special that I'm genuinely sad that the time I've spent with as a brand new forray into the unknown has come to a close. Everything about P5 was total aces. I fell in love with the characters, the music, the style, the dungeon crawling, the confidants, just all of it. This is it guys, P5 is one of the my most beloved RPGs I've ever played.
    edited May 13
    Trails in the Sky The 3rd [PC] Welp... gotta admit I got a bit choked up at the ending. Time to Hibernate until CSIII I guess.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited May 13
    Cosmic Star Heroine (Steam). Well, Zeboyd always said that it was aiming for the 90s JRPG experience with this one, and it definitely hit the mark, for better and for worse. Overall a positive, I think. Review to come sometime this week.
    Final Fantasy IX (PSP, 34 hours) - A great game poisoned slightly by status effects.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    I've been bad and forgotten to update my completed games, so here they are.

Yooka-Laylee (PS4) - 100% Platinum
    Cosmic Star Heroine (PS4) - 100% Platinum
    Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PS4) - 100% Platinum
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Switch, 1 hour) - It might be a little cheap to count this, but I finished the story for a few fighters in arcade mode and got credits.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Since I do not know your PSN account and thus cannot stalk you, would you please let me know if you have Platinum'd any of the other four PS4 games that you finished earlier in the year? Based on your completionist tendencies, I kind of figure that you would have FFXV at the very least.
    ClixPsi.png

Since I do not know your PSN account and thus cannot stalk you, would you please let me know if you have Platinum'd any of the other four PS4 games that you finished earlier in the year? Based on your completionist tendencies, I kind of figure that you would have FFXV at the very least.
    FFXV, Tales of Zestiria, and Mass Effect: Andromeda I did not platinum, but I did platinum Persona 5. I sold ToZ after beating it, I couldn't bear the thought of replaying it...which is terrifying since I replay almost every RPG I beat. The other two are works in progress while I clear out my backlog of games.

FFXV, Tales of Zestiria, and Mass Effect: Andromeda I did not platinum, but I did platinum Persona 5. I sold ToZ after beating it, I couldn't bear the thought of replaying it...which is terrifying since I replay almost every RPG I beat. The other two are works in progress while I clear out my backlog of games.

Don't fret about ToZ. While I liked the game a lot, I would NEVER consider trying a Platinum for it. At 37%, I already count as A-Rank for game completion by PSNProfiles.com--it's possibly the worse in the series to Platinum due to so many of the RNG-dependent achievements that take ages to grind out.
    ClixPsi.png

Don't fret about ToZ. While I liked the game a lot, I would NEVER consider trying a Platinum for it. At 37%, I already count as A-Rank for game completion by PSNProfiles.com--it's possibly the worse in the series to Platinum due to so many of the RNG-dependent achievements that take ages to grind out.
    Definitely felt like it was too difficult to platinum, and too annoying. It was a really bad decision to make armatization speed up casts of enemies they hit, it made casters far too powerful and deadly.