If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2017 Completed Game List

Comments

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    I got the final ending of Nier: Automata (PS4) tonight. It has some awesome gameplay and story ideas, but I feel like I spent over half the game just running around a small open world, not having much fun. Had I skipped all the optional quests I'd have enjoyed it more. For me, the game should have been designed as a tight, linear experience. I don't think it gained anything by having over 50 side quests and a few, small zones to run across dozens of times.

The last several hours were excellent, but I think I'm going to remember this one for its typical (for me) inconsistent and slow JRPG pacing rather than for its many highlights.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Injustice 2 (PS4) -- Borrowed this off of my roommate and may have powered through it. I am god awful at fighters and this one definitely has a steeper learning curve for me. However, I needed to see the story for myself given it's gotten a lot of praise -- and it's all right! Still hate the Injustice version of Wonder Woman, but I'll live I suppose. Also it such gorgeous art direction and graphics. Holy crap.
    Finished Harvest Moon: Skytree Village (3DS).... should have finished this last year and then 'oh shiny!' syndrome kicked in. I will be reviewing it though even though I recognize it's a release from last year. :D;
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin (PC, 25 hours) - Some great characters, but my least favorite expansion by far.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 21
    The Caligula Effect (Vita) complete
    Postives: It's not very long. At least the premise, character stories, and music direction are pretty interesting.
    Negatives: Many things.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    Final Fantasy III (PC)

On the whole a fine game.

Though near the end I kept thinking that everything this game does FFV did it better.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Final Fantasy XV (PS4) - Platinum Trophy, 70 hours

I waited a while before jumping in on this since I was never particularly hyped for Versus XIII. From the moment it was announced, I did not care, and I admit that I was a tad disgruntled at it being shifted to a main title as a marketing ploy when it became obvious that the side project's budget had ballooned to such proportions that it would need main title sales to break even. My interest in the title took a total nosedive when I saw how bad its older sister FFXIII turned out to be.

That all said, I actually kind of like this one. It at least avoids being in the bottom rung of the series for me, but it's more or less stuck pretty tightly in the middle just below FFXII. Speaking of which, I feel like the game works as an odd foil to XII, both as a game and on a meta stand point. Took keep it short, XV's initial openness that shifts to complete linearity sort of works in opposition to the more tight narrative beginning of XII that later drifted away. Funny enough, both games suffer from the shifts in narrative focuses, even though it's in opposite directions. Let's be frank, my enjoyment of this game is entirely due to the first 55 hours that I played. From the moment that I got on that damn train, I just stopped caring. I did like the survivor horror section a bit, but it was still so messy (keep in mind that I played it this past month, so I got the enhanced version of Ch 13; I was also level 67, so I was unkillable anyway; I didn't even switch to Gladio and Ignis).

Really, given that most of the plot that Nomura's original team devised was largely thrown to the way-side, I actually would have liked a very simple, relatively-lighhearted story of Noct and friends taking back the kingdom while roadtripping. I did not want the DARKNESS that the plot seemed to think was a good idea, because the best moments in the game are all pre-Leviathan. I do wish the sidequests were better fleshed out, but I do like most of the quest-givers. The fallen kingdom was fun to hang out in, hence why I spent over 50 hours doing that instead of the oh-so important story.

I plan to replay this sometime next year or later, once all the DLC and patches are done. For now, I just skipped over Episode Gladiolus and plan to do all of the DLC in rough chronological order while playing a replay. Said replay will also be more of a story-run, since I have sort of already done everything as my Platinum Trophy shows (well, except the super dungeons).
    ClixPsi.png
    Final Fantasy XI: Rhapsodies of Vana'diel (PC, 15 hours) - This was nostalgia overload. From the character callbacks to the ridiculous bosses, it was pure FFXI for better or worse. And with that, I'm done with FFXI.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Dragon Quest Heroes II: Twin Kings and the Prophecy’s End (PS4) -- Review to come.
    Pokemon Black 2 Version (DS) - 44 hours

This took a while to wrap up, since I count the Black Tower/White Hollow as part of the post-game. I finally beat up Benga today during lunch and got myself a second shiny Gible (it'll be a gift to my roommate for giving me an Elekid at the start of the game--it helped carry my team in the beginning). My final party this time around was DIO the Cofagrigus, No. 6 the Wailord, Ricardo Gomes the Maractus, Ikimono-gakari the Altaria, Mothra the Volcarona, and Earphone Jack the Electivire. Obviously, some of these names had to be short-handed for the limited name space (like Ikimn-gkri for Altaria).
    ClixPsi.png
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo Switch)

Somehow ran credits on this thing, so I'm counting it. Game is pretty good and is the perfect middle ground between the handheld and console games. Really strong as a handheld, however. Docking it is pretty good too, but I'm paranoid of having it warp.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Day of the Tentacle Remastered(PC)

That was a fun time, too bad I remembered almost everything in the game, but it was still funny :)
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    Cosmic Star Heroine (PS4)
    edited May 29
    I finished Mass Effect: Andromeda (PS4) tonight. Ended up doing every quest (not task) except four, so this was on the full completion side of things for me. Of the four I didn't do, 2 were broken, 1 I found when just finishing up Voeld and I just didn't feel like it at that point, and the fourth was the Movie Night quest that disappeared
    when Jaal stopped talking to me because I went against him at the temple and in his loyalty mission,
    then reappeared after I beat the main story. Guess I'll finish that tomorrow as a 3rd epilogue.

I enjoyed this a lot, especially that it was an RPG, not a mediocre third-person shooter with a Citadel here and chatty party members there. I'd go so far as to call it the 2nd best BioWare game right now under only Mass Effect 2. The writing was excellent, and Drack is my new favorite krogan.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 29
    Persona 5 (PS4) completed in a very quick 122 hours, though my playstyle padded that a fair bit (must talk to all NPCs to see the dialogue changed slightly!). Awesome game.

Also, yay, I'm not crazy for enjoying ME:Andromeda.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Also, yay, I'm not crazy for enjoying ME:Andromeda.
    Nor am I! The internet likes to blow things out of proportion with games.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Half-Minute Hero: The Second Coming (PSP, 16 hours) - I LOVED this one.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    Just finished Akiba's Beat (PS4). Mixed feelings on this one. Loved the characters and the story had some great twists, especially near the end. I also think it's the best English voice cast XSEED has ever put together, just really, really well done all around. Unfortunately, the game has more than a few problems. I'll try to get a review up in a couple of days or so.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
    The Walking Dead: Season 3 - Episode 5: From the Gallows (PS4) -- Finally polished off Season 3, and I have a lot of mixed emotions about it given how a few choices were set up, some of the call backs they made. There was some great moments in the seasons, and I am happy with my ending and who survived.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited June 3
    Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia Echoes - 3DS (or something like that)

I feel really happy that after all this time I was able to complete this game. I will say it has one of the most messed up openings I'd ever seen.
    first you see these two kids promise to never fight if you want the opening before you start the game, then the very next see when you start the game itself shows them fighting and one killing the other. i was literally sitting there going NO NO NO
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Persona 5 - PS4

Man was this truely one of the best the games I have played in easily the last 5 years easily if not longer. I mean Tales of Berseria was good but this absolutely blew it outta the water.
    Also now the whole different voice actor of Igor makes sense

I'm half tempted to play it again cause of good it was. Also managed to beat in ~94 hours but hardly got any of the social links finished. I think I managed to get like 4 of the none mandatory ones done.

Also totally enjoyed having Futuba as first girlfriend. Not sure who'll I go with on second game now.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool

I feel really happy that after all this time I was able to complete this game. I will say it has one of the most messed up openings I'd ever seen.
    first you see these two kids promise to never fight if you want the opening before you start the game, then the very next see when you start the game itself shows them fighting and one killing the other. i was literally sitting there going NO NO NO

I am still on Chapter 3, but I have so far been blown away by this remake. While the series's last remake was quite good (introducing new plot elements and characters, Casual Mode, and the first My Unit), this one is simply stunning by upgrading most of the stalest/most dated elements while maintaining all of the unique flavor of the original version. After the overall disappointment I felt towards Fates, Echoes seems more like a step in the right direction. I hope this retro project will help guide the series forward instead of just returning to the aimless pandering of Fates.
    ClixPsi.png
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Clix wrote: »

I am still on Chapter 3, but I have so far been blown away by this remake. While the series's last remake was quite good (introducing new plot elements and characters, Casual Mode, and the first My Unit), this one is simply stunning by upgrading most of the stalest/most dated elements while maintaining all of the unique flavor of the original version. After the overall disappointment I felt towards Fates, Echoes seems more like a step in the right direction. I hope this retro project will help guide the series forward instead of just returning to the aimless pandering of Fates.
    I'm pretty sure the next one will be just as good. Rumor has it (if you follow it) that Binding Blade will be the next remake they wish to do. If so, I hope they manage to actually buff Roy so he's not as weak as he was in the original version (you practically babysat him the majority of the game).
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."

I'm pretty sure the next one will be just as good. Rumor has it (if you follow it) that Binding Blade will be the next remake they wish to do. If so, I hope they manage to actually buff Roy so he's not as weak as he was in the original version (you practically babysat him the majority of the game).

I hope not. I want a new entry for the Switch, which they have confirmed. For remakes, I want the Jugdral games next, because no one got those. Thracia 776 was a Super Famicon game released in 1999. Seriously, who played that?
    ClixPsi.png
    The Walking Dead: A New Frontier (PS4, 8 hours) - This is easily my least favorite of the Telltale games since the first season of TWD. It had potential, but there were lots of misses here.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky The 3rd (PC) - Hey! Credits! I vaguely remember what finishing a game looks like and this one was a doozy. Father Kevin's story was dark and fascinating and while the setup for this game was strange
    an alternate reality dream world where thoughts can become real
    it worked well as it allowed Falcom to tell lots of interesting and otherwise unconnected side stories (and I so want a Trails game set in Calvard starring Kilika now).

I'm always impressed at the way these game's plot ties together across so many games, but getting to see the groundwork for Cold Steel that was laid in this game is fascinating. Star Door 14 was particularly interesting to see Ouroboros workings from behind the scenes (and the Evangelion inspired stagecraft was a nice touch), but after 5 games I still don't have a clue what their ultimate goal really is. At this point, I'm not sure they are more evil than Chancellor Osborne.

Oh and Star Door 15 will stick in my head for a long time; I don't remember ever seeing that sort of backstory in a videogame. I said on twitter that I didn't expect Renne's backstory to be Rainbows and Unicorns, but it exceeded my expectations for how dark it got. I don't even want to put it behind spoiler tags to even risk ruining it for someone else playing it, but I was totally convinced as to why she was a murderous psycho in the previous games.

Anyway, amazing game; not sure it tops the first two Trails games for me (they have a special place in my heart for getting me into this crazy universe), but 3rd certainly tops Cold Steel for story.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited June 5
    I hope not. I want a new entry for the Switch, which they have confirmed. For remakes, I want the Jugdral games next, because no one got those. Thracia 776 was a Super Famicon game released in 1999. Seriously, who played that?
    Very few people, as I understand it. Thracia 776 is the worst selling game in the series. Personally, I'd like to see a remake that includes both Jugdral games or combines them into one game.

I thought for sure it would be the next Fire Emblem remake because they could re-use the marriage and child unit mechanics from Awakening and Fates. Maybe the backlash against its usage in Fates was louder than I thought.

Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC (PC)
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC (PC)

After finishing 3rd, felt the need to run through the first two games again. Stuck with using Schera and Zin this time because I probably used them the least on my last playthrough.
    edited June 10
    Forgot to mention, but my brother and I played more Mario Kart 8 (Switch) a few weekends ago, and I lost to him less than usual. I got the cup on a 200cc race that rolled credits, so I'll count that as me beating it. Between the two of us, we got top 3 at least once on each 200cc circuit and I think he's done with it.
    But not all golds. I got the silver and my brother was bronze on the circuit where I rolled the credits. Bite me. These races are hard.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Very few people, as I understand it. Thracia 776 is the worst selling game in the series. Personally, I'd like to see a remake that includes both Jugdral games or combines them into one game.

I thought for sure it would be the next Fire Emblem remake because they could re-use the marriage and child unit mechanics from Awakening and Fates. Maybe the backlash against its usage in Fates was louder than I thought.

Didn't it still sell over 100k units, despite being practically the last Super Famicom RPG released (and being hard as all get-out)?

A remake may require a more thorough re-balancing of the game, which would put it later on the schedule rather than sooner.