If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2017 Completed Game List

Comments

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I think we're due for a Jugdral remake, but it'd be Genealogy. Probably after the original Fire Emblem for Switch launches.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited June 10
    Finally beat Final Fantasy XV (PS4) today. Was trying to hit a day to go to the end when I would be able to enjoy the ending in peace.

I still have some hunts to finish and I _could_ go for the dlc episodes later as well as a few more quests but then I don't usually care for plat'ing games. Just seeing the ending. ^^

Anyway I could REALLY tell this game had a tortured development, and it isn't one of the top FF games for me, but it was still fun. Oh and I got the full Armiger and also ended at level 71, if that means anything.

[Edit] Oh and since FF MMO's count.. I beat Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward (PC) a month ago. I've also beaten all of FFXI before I retired, but since I don't remember dates, (I played that thing for 10+ years!) I'm not actually counting that. Rusty memory is rusty memory. As with all, it was a good story and a good time with friends.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest (3DS)

Finally sat down and finished this. The game felt a lot like the older FE games, which was very nice. But however just like the old ones, you need to stick with a single party to really survive things. You also have to hope RNGesus doesn't screw you over with stat growths like usual. I like this route, but the game was rather cruel to me at times with several difficult fights in a row. I'll be getting Birthright to see how that one goes compared to this one.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Emily is Away Too (PC via Steam) -- Ouch. My feelings hurt.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception (PS4) finished, though I actually played at least half via remote play on the Vita. Took around 27 hours though is most definitiely only half of the story, with the other half out in September. Bit of a weird one, the first half is pretty weak as it spends too long faffing around on event scenes that don't really advance things (though I see what they were trying to do building up the characters), but I thought the second half was great and am now really looking forward to Mask of Truth. Review coming after E3.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Ys Origin (Vita, 8 hours) - Credits rolled, so that's where I'm stopping for now. It not unlocking the extra character after a single playthrough like the Steam version did is sad. Still enjoyed it, though I almost quit near the end. Tougher to replay again and again.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Factorio(PC)

I did have lot of fun with this factory building world :)
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC) is now complete. Took about 41 hours to do just about everything available.

Going into the 3rd, I knew of its nature as more of a dungeon crawler, and also that it wasn't as essential to the series as other games. Personally I feel they picked the perfect time to release it, because I don't think I could have handled another epic, world traveling odyssey with all this year has had to offer. The focus on dungeon crawling and side stories worked well for the most part. However, once I reached the point of no-return, I had so many unopened doors before the point of no return that I just figured I'd go back to later since you often don't meet the requirements to enter right away that they really piled up and kinda ruined the pacing of the game at the end. Sure, it was a lot of fun to see so many different angles and build-ups to Trails lore at large, but not all piled on top of each other like that while also having to go back and bring the entire crew up to speed, which at least that part thankfully didn't take very long. Speaking of which, my final boss team was
    Kevin, Ries, Richard, and Anelace. Richard is crazy op compared to the rest of the cast.
    There were other good tidbits about the 3rd too, little details like the chest messages for example really stood out strong in the 3rd. For a series that previously didn't exist in English to come all this way in such a short time is truly a blessing. Here's hoping the Crossbell titles find a way!
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    DEFCON (PC)

I guess I finished this; it's a multiplayer strategy game and I completed one playthough against the AI. This is a recreation of the "game" that was the center of War Games, the 1980's Matthew Broderick film about a kid hacking into NORAD. So the goal is to nuke your opponents before they can obliterate you. It has that 80's wire-frame aesthetic down and its a weird cognitive dissonance to be murdering millions of people to soothing calm music.

I imagine it would be a lot of fun with live human opponents, where you can form alliances and betray one another; I'll have to try that sometime.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited June 17
    Persona 5 (PS4)

A few plot points were questionable, but overall, I really enjoyed it. Interface, combat, art, and systems were all great. Characters were hit or miss. Story was also up and down. 3 is still my favorite, but I'm not sure whether I prefer 4 or 5. A remake of 3 with the Catherine engine and 5's systems would be tremendous, but that is probably too much to ask for.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited June 18
    Finished Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC) in a couple days after a sputtering start. I enjoyed it, but it reminded me of Risen 3 in that it tried really hard to do things that were cool and new over 10 years ago, and fell short. It's a bit of a mess everywhere.

Better writing would have made this a much better game for me. If it's going to be slow and talky in a dark dystopia, the writing has to be creative, and it beats the point to make every quest cryptic or conspiratorial then have the outcome be exactly what it first seemed like it would be. For a setting with so much potential, I hardly remember anything that happened in the game, and I just finished it an hour ago.

I liked the gameplay improvements over the last one, but it's keeping its place as a series I play after it's been out a while and on sale.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited June 20
    Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series - Episode 2: Under Pressure (PS4) -- Well that got weird fast.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited June 20
    Tales of Berseria (PS4) - 80 hours

I greatly enjoyed this one. Honestly, I feel like I will need to replay Tales of Vesperia to decide which one deserves the title of my favorite. Prior to ToB, I would usually argue that the best of *insert aspect* was split between different games. ToG had best gameplay, TotA had the best plot, ToV has the best crew, and I have heard that ToL has the best music. Well, except for that last category, ToB is able to match the other bests toe-to-toe. Sadly, I was not able to finish the EX-dungeon. I got very far, but the enemies were quickly out pacing me in terms of levels. Hilariously, I was able to finish the cameo battle despite being 55 levels underleveled. I may replay this one to get the Platinum one day.
    ClixPsi.png
    Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS) - 43 hours

I greatly enjoyed this game, especially after how much I didn't care for the Fates titles from last year. This is easily one of the most impressive remakes that I have ever played. It was able to balance the original's unique elements while presenting a modern game balance (mainly with the Turnwheel), and the plot expansion and fully voiced narrative made the game's story come to life. Hell, this is probably the best narrative that I have seen in the series yet (I have yet to play 4 and 5, which are apparently the only real contenders). I sincerely hope this project will influence the next game, because I just do not want to go back to the shallowness of Fates.
    ClixPsi.png
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited June 24
    I, too, completed Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia for 3DS. I do have some post-game stuff to do and finished the prequel DLC.

It's amazing how fantastic this game is, especially since Gaiden is considered the black sheep of the series. It has the first great Fire Emblem story since Path of Radiance. The game play is great, even if I miss the class variety of other games. I really, really hope that Switch Fire Emblem game takes more cues from Echoes than from Fates, especially in terms of story and characters.

What I especially like is how the story is retconned/expanded to fit with the current narrative, as least as far as Archanea is concerned.
    The first major instance is that Mila and Duma are now divine dragon manaketes, not necessarily gods. Nags is mentioned by name. This Falchion's appearance is better explained. Alm and Celica have brands. The Mila Tree from Awakening is explained. Duma apparently being forgotten is an oddity, but his dragon form's resemblance to Grima has my theorizing brain going into overdrive.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Mighty Gunvolt(PC)
    sig.gif
    Fairune (Vita, 2 hours) - Was just planning to check this out briefly after a frustrating lost battle in FE Echoes and ended up playing it for two hours straight and finishing it in one sitting. Cute, but nothing fancy.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Hexcells(PC)

it a nice change of paste to do some nice thinking puzzles :)
    sig.gif
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PC)

That was a heck of a final boss.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited June 25

I agree on the final boss, Doom. Took me TWO parties to find one that could clear it. I'm also SHOCKED that they didn't drag this out more. Normally Square's mmo expansions take longer (and quite a few updates) to reveal their full story.

Still, WOW and they added some hooks for more stuff later. I can't wait to see what happens later; not going to say what right now to avoid spoilers.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    Victor Vran (PS4, 11 hours) - This weird little Diablo-like was short, sweet, and way more fun than I expected it to be.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited June 26
    Super Robot Wars V - PS4

Despite some awkward grammar and typos here and there, considering the sheer volume of text it's not bad. Well all I can say this was really fun to play and a pretty good entry.

One of the examples is Sacricing instead of sacrificing
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    The Final Station (PC)

I enjoyed the mood and mystery of this game, but it really did need a bit more exposition. There were multiple times where I had no idea why I was doing what I was doing, but just walked to the right because video games. I have not played the DLC yet, but that supposedly gives a bit more story.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited June 28

I agree on the final boss, Doom. Took me TWO parties to find one that could clear it. I'm also SHOCKED that they didn't drag this out more. Normally Square's mmo expansions take longer (and quite a few updates) to reveal their full story.

Still, WOW and they added some hooks for more stuff later. I can't wait to see what happens later; not going to say what right now to avoid spoilers.

I think there's still plenty of story left to reveal. The post-credit scenes offer a few hints at what those might be. Don't forget everything that happened at the end of Heavensward 3.0. It seemed pretty wrapped up then as well.

Oh, also Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PC)
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
    Final Fantasy XV: Episode Prompto (PS4)

SE figured out what we wanted in a DLC finally. This one is good, and gives quite a bit of character development and missing story to the game, along with wrapping a few loose ends. Love the dynamic between Prompto and Aranea, and it just makes me want more of her in FFXV, hopefully one day as a permanent party member. Gameplay...Metal Gear Prompto, best way to say it.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited June 28

SE figured out what we wanted in a DLC finally. This one is good, and gives quite a bit of character development and missing story to the game, along with wrapping a few loose ends. Love the dynamic between Prompto and Aranea, and it just makes me want more of her in FFXV, hopefully one day as a permanent party member. Gameplay...Metal Gear Prompto, best way to say it.

Kind of hope this means that Ingis will be teaming up with Iris for his episode then.

Also, did you do Episode Gladiolus? I don't have it down on your list if you did play it.
    ClixPsi.png
    edited June 29
    River City: Knights of Justice (3DS) - Review to come!
    Clix wrote: »

Kind of hope this means that Ingis will be teaming up with Iris for his episode then.

Also, did you do Episode Gladiolus? I don't have it down on your list if you did play it.
    Oops, forgot to mention when I cleared that back on its release day.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Atelier Sophie - Alchemist of the Mysterious Book (Steam)

Already have most of a review banged out for this one, since I got stuck on the final boss about five hours of playtime ago (more like three weeks ago, real-time). Should be up soon-ish.
    edited July 2
    The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)

I really enjoyed this game and this game was very upsetting. It probably didn't help that I could see some of my daughter in Ellie (though hopefully she won't have as filthy of a mouth) and Joel looked enough like my father for me to notice. The mood and imagery were top notch, and the gameplay was good. I wish I didn't have to kill quite so many people, but I know that is part of the story as well. I'll certainly be playing the DLC soon, and will likely give New Game+ a shot as well. Really a terrific game, and I'm glad I finally got around to playing it.