If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2017 Completed Game List

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS, 32 hours) - I know this was a remake, but sometimes a remake needs even more content and updating than this got. The dungeons seemed cool at first, but quickly got old, especially the final one. I have a love-hate relationship with this game, as I don't think it's bad, but at the same time had a lot of issues with it. I still couldn't put it down, so that's something, right?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Did you ever play the first version of the game?
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch)

This game is quite a lot of fun with lots of stuff to discover on how to best play it. Ultimately different for every person, though many will fall within the same routines. There are plenty of things I missed, basically on purpose, but I didn't want to spend more the 80 hours or so in this one (at least for this playthrough). Despite all the good I can say for it, I absolutely hated the final boss in this Zelda game. Wasn't a big fan of the ending either, but it did what it was supposed to (I guess). I know many loved this more then I did, but my experience in the ending segment will forever color my feelings on the game overall. Hope the story DLC will change my mind a bit later this year.

Nope, haven't played any of the non-localized FEs.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Final Fantasy XV: Episode Prompto (PS4, 3 hours) - I liked this one a lot, as I really dug getting different weapons with Prompto, especially the sniper rifle. Man, I would love to have him playable in the main game.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Macstorm wrote: »

Nope, haven't played any of the non-localized FEs.

Trust em the dungeon system is a lot better then in the original version of the game. In the original it consisted of interconnected rooms that each one had a fight (save the Mila statue room). I played it years ago with the unofficial translation and although I enjoyed it a lot (and it was a good intro to Fire Emblem. It was HARD.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada (PC)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Crash Bandicoot (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy

This is the first game in the N-Sane Trilogy, and has been perfectly remastered. Everything you love AND HATE is here, with a few extras. Time Trials, Checkpoints adjusting to where you're constantly dying, Checkpoints keeping your boxes destroyed count intact, and playable Coco. The Time Trials alone drove me up the wall, since I had to get at least Gold on every stage just to get the last trophy. And trust me, nothing is more painful than having to do a perfect run of the most annoying stages while wasting no time.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Blaster Master Zero(3DS)

A great remake of an old classic, I was happy when I listen to the first stage music and it was a remix, sadly it seem to be the only one they did but the music was still good, but I am an nostalgic gamer!

The rework of each boss was really great and the fact that you main gun outside the vehicle, in the old one once you got the max power up that was the best, but in this one you can change to any level that you want and they are useful in different way, like some enemy are weak to one of them. It was a nice upgrade in the strategy. there even an hard mode that you really need to play with it because some enemy can only be hurt with specific weapon contrary to the normal mode

Did manage to get the bad and good ending. Great time!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    Criminal Girls 2: Party Favor - PS Vita

Definately like the changes to this one compared to the original. Although I think I beat the boss below optimal level cause i was like 36-38 with only one girl fully motivated.
    sig.gif

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited July 8
    Pillars of Eternity (PC). The exposition's hiccups and the game's inconsistent pace made this a bit of a letdown, especially since the last 10 hours were a quick lore-chase focused on a main quest that never quite came together for me. I didn't enjoy the slow pace of Act 2 much, and then when the pace got to where I wanted it, I wasn't satisfied with how the plot and lore were handled. Though considering Real Time with Pause is about my least favorite battle system in the history of RPGs, it didn't bother me in this one, and the classes and skills were creative and interesting.

Regarding an endgame plot event:
    I wasn't comfortable with the gods being "fake" and how that makes everyone pissed off. The gods are clearly real, so the pantheon is fake in the same way pro wrestling is fake -- real entities doing real things in real life, with a lie back in its history. The belief that god is an always-existing, incomprehensible, undescribable entity is largely limited to Judeo-Christian monotheism in the real world, and I don't like writers of fictional worlds being lazy and just dropping Earth beliefs into them where they don't belong. Pillars has a polytheistic religion, and the lore never stated how its followers saw the gods' creation and existence, unlike Earth polytheistic religions which usually have explanations for how the gods came to be.

So I didn't buy the spiritual crisis caused by the endgame revelation that the gods were crafted by mankind to cover for the fact that there were no previously existing gods. They're still gods now. Nothing changed. The outrage would make sense in a Judeo-Christian conversation, but was wildly presumptuous and uninteresting to me to see it in a fictional polytheist society that draws inspiration from ancient Earth cultures who DID have creation stories for their gods. It rubbed me the wrong way when characters kept calling them fake after the party had already met them and knew they were real. Fake is not the right word here.

I was hoping the final conversation with Thaos would shed more light on this, possibly detail how they were created to make it sound more sinister to me, the player, but instead I got a (usually fine) "Villain Tries to Hurt the Feelings of Your Active Party Members One by One" bit and a lecture on how crafted gods are still gods which I, the player, agree with and don't see as inherently villainous in the context of this setting. That this was tied to an antagonist evil enough to cause the atrocities he did to restore Woedica was lost on me. Creating gods so mankind can have gods? Fine. Causing Waiden's Legacy to intentionally throw off the balance of the gods' power and cause widespread havoc in the world? Villainous, and also somewhat at odds with Talos's insistence on having a pantheon in the first place. I didn't buy this either.

This plus some hiccups -- some lines at the end stated that Woedica was behind Eothas's death, but that didn't come up in any of the lore I saw, so it was either in missable text or inferred in a way too subtle for me -- left me feeling like the main quest as a whole was a waste.

It's more like an editorial, but religion in RPGs has gotten so dull and repetitive to me, and it was particularly uninspired and nonsensical to me in Pillars.

The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)
    Finished this up a few days ago and I generally quite enjoyed it. I liked how the dungeon crawling segments broke up the game and added some variety to gameplay. It's weird, I've always thought of myself as coming to Fire Emblem mostly for the strategy, but after Fates had great maps but a terrible story (which made me loathe the game)and Echoes has some repetitive gameplay combined with an interesting story (which I liked) I may not know myself as well as I think I do.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Dark Rose Valkyrie (PS4). In just under 50 hours.

So I've been thinking for awhile how to accurately express my opinion on DRV, because its a strange one. Critically speaking, its a bad game. There's just too many flaws that are actively present throughout, particularly with pre-emptive field attacks that can be a nuisance the whole way. However, underneath the grime, and there's a lot of it, I think there's fun to be had here. The battle system is actually relatively engaging with changes through the course of the game as the player gets access to more powerful skills. The fast forward capability is welcome too. There's also an impressive amount of customization here. You're given so many options between leveling your weapon, attaching weapon accessories, changing your gear, your passives, your stats, stat boosters, and stuff like character-specific moves that it feels like you can really fine tune yourself exactly how you want and meet any situation comfortably. Dungeon crawling isn't so bad either, the later ones offer better scenery along with little quirks here and there plus treasure that appears as you find "Lost Data" that makes the times you are forced to revisit a place more refreshing. Characters are probably the strongest suit here, I liked the voice acting and especially the designs that the Tales artist came up with for all them. For me I was able to overcome most of the poorly designed elements in DRV and see the underlying good. Its sad that you have to fight against all the flaws to get there though.

But yeah, this year is absolutely bananas. Not in a million years would I ever think I could have a decent time playing something associated with Idea Factory and Compile Heart. Somehow it happened. Still though, I don't see myself ever playing something made by either of them again unless its either Dark Rose Valkyrie 2 or another once in 10 years accident.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Persona 5 (PS4) at 76 hours is down! Thank you for the motivation lack of internet and #JRPGJuly! I really loved this one even though it doesn't trump Persona 3 for me. I did like a lot of the twists and turns and the cast really grew on me as the game went on. <3

Not sure what to play next for #JRPGJuly. I have a few JRPGs I have started and in need of finishing... I'll let you all know in tomorrow's update what I've selected next! :)
    Nyx wrote: »
    Persona 5 (PS4) at 76 hours is down! Thank you for the motivation lack of internet and #JRPGJuly! I really loved this one even though it doesn't trump Persona 3 for me. I did like a lot of the twists and turns and the cast really grew on me as the game went on. <3

Not sure what to play next for #JRPGJuly. I have a few JRPGs I have started and in need of finishing... I'll let you all know in tomorrow's update what I've selected next! :)

In the same boat, although 76 seems kinda short side for P5
    sig.gif

Gotta cut the fat! That's how I got through it in 66 hours.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Nyx wrote: »

Seriously jealous of the people able to get through it that quickly. There are times when I wish I could turn off that part of my brain and just crit. path things. Oh well, congrats on finishing it!
    edited July 15
    Accel World vs Sword Art Online (Vita). Finished the story in around 20 hours or less. Granted I kinda blitzed through it as best I could to unlock stuff for multiplayer.

If you've seen my posts before, you know I don't like how this game runs on the Vita. Besides that, I've never heard anything good about Sword Art Online. Most of the people I talk to that know about the series make fun of it or downright hate it, except for my one friend I'll be playing this online with. Judging by what little this crossover presented, the SAO characters and lore presented are downright tame compared to that of Accel World. If you asked me to pick which of the two was a dumpster fire, I'd choose Accel World 10 times out of 10, which is a shame because I like the design of some of the robots and how they played. The single player campaign would have been just okay, if the game looked and played smoothly. The obvious draw here is the battle system and large number of playable characters, and hopefully the online. Here's to hoping the multiplayer makes it all worth it in the end.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    Accel World vs Sword Art Online (Vita). Finished the story in around 20 hours or less. Granted I kinda blitzed through it as best I could to unlock stuff for multiplayer.

If you've seen my posts before, you know I don't like how this game runs on the Vita. Besides that, I've never heard anything good about Sword Art Online. Most of the people I talk to that know about the series make fun of it or downright hate it, except for my one friend I'll be playing this online with. Judging by what little this crossover presented, the SAO characters and lore presented are downright tame compared to that of Accel World. If you asked me to pick which of the two was a dumpster fire, I'd choose Accel World 10 times out of 10, which is a shame because I like the design of some of the robots and how they played. The single player campaign would have been just okay, if the game looked and played smoothly. The obvious draw here is the battle system and large number of playable characters, and hopefully the online. Here's to hoping the multiplayer makes it all worth it in the end.

Honestly, I never touched Accel World because it did somehow look worse than the already hackneyed SAO. That said, while SAO is bad, I count it as more of the So Bad It's Good variety. Helps that the anime adaptation is fairly high-budget. Let me put it this way: I was all over SOA Season 2 while I outright avoided Attack on Titan Season 2. They are both terrible series with mind-blowing mass-popularity, but at least SAO looks good and moves at a nice pace.
    ClixPsi.png
    edited July 15
    Clix wrote: »
    Honestly, I never touched Accel World because it did somehow look worse than the already hackneyed SAO. That said, while SAO is bad, I count it as more of the So Bad It's Good variety. Helps that the anime adaptation is fairly high-budget. Let me put it this way: I was all over SOA Season 2 while I outright avoided Attack on Titan Season 2. They are both terrible series with mind-blowing mass-popularity, but at least SAO looks good and moves at a nice pace.

Yeah, I just found the whole experience interesting since I went in with a completely neutral perspective on both. From what I had heard SAO was supposed to be insufferably bad all around, with a main character that everyone seemingly hated. Seems like you probably feel similarly. The main guy just came off as a 50 year old man and everything seemed pretty par for the course for standard cross-overs from the SAO end. Accel World on the other hand was impossible to suspend disbelief for. Im supposed to buy the premise that an underground hardcore Korean style PvP MMO that can only be played if someone else introduces you to the game is populated by middle school girls, and if you die in game you have all your memories associated with your time with it wiped? They were also the far worse stereotypes, with one being a 12 year old "Red King" girl who is a redhead that gets angry and yells a lot. What do I know though, having never watched either series haha.
    Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy

Like Crash 1, the things you love and things you hate are back. The addition of the Speed Shoes after beating the game was a big help in getting gold relics, but some of those levels REALLY were not meant for that sort of thing, and it shows. For example...the final level, where there are a bunch of death traps.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Good Knight Story (ios)

sig.gif
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Tokyo Xanadu (Vita) is finished with the true ending achieved (requirements for that weren't hard from what I understand, you can easily get them through regular gameplay unless you actively screw it up for some reason). Expect review up during first half of the week :) Took be just under forty hours, can probably be done in 25 if you don't talk to all the NPCs at every opportunity but why would you do that in a Falcom game?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    100FT. Robot Golf (PS4) This was a dumb game that wasn't much fun to play. I think the story was the right kind of dumb, though. At least, I appreciated all the Evangelion jokes. I mean... all the Project C stuff was ridiculous. But the game itself wasn't much fun.
    Tokyo Xanadu (Vita, 24 hours) - Alex was right, it's about 25 hours if you start skipping side quests halfway through, stick to bonding events, and run through dungeons as fast as you can. Still enjoyable, but I had a few issues, especially the localization.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Viscera Cleanup Detail Shadow Warrior (PC)
    sig.gif
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (PS4)
    Crash Bandicoot: Warped (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy

The final of the original trilogy, and by far the easiest of the 3 to platinum. That was in no small part thanks to the levels being designed around Time Trials (from what it seems) and the existence of various learnable abilities to make your way through the levels easier. There were a lot more variety of levels in this one, from aerial stages, underwater stages, to jet ski and motorcycle levels added to the normal amount. The replay just cemented that I personally like this one the most out of the three.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Whee, Fallen Legion: Sins of an Empire (PS4) is complete. Not entriely sure how long it took, somewhere in the 10-15 hour region I would guess? Will probably give the Vita game (Flames of Rebellion) a go to see what the other side of the story is like before reviewing.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Persona 5 (PS4) Finished this a while back... yeah. It sure was a sequel to Persona 4 for good and ill.