If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Most Anticipated RPGs - Feature

severinmiraseverinmira Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
edited January 2 in Latest Updates
There are plenty of RPGs on the horizon, and the staff at RPGamer wanted to share some of titles that we are most excited for. This next year should have lots to offer RPG fans of all tastes.

[ Feature ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Surprised ni no kuni 2 is as high as it is. I felt like I was one of the few people who really loved the first.
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited January 2
    Let's see.

Never played Yakuza - perhaps this would be a good place to start? Nah. Also, never played Ys but will keep my eye on this. Wake me up when Atelier stops charging time for every bloody action, it makes for a constant level of stress I can't take. Interesting.

More Yakuza - cut me I guess? Nope. Tales is fine mediocrity, maybe. Oops, though that was CS3 for a sec, still interested, I guess, except I don't do PC. Eh...maybe.

Loved it, but played enough. Nope. No way. Interesting, but wary from bugs in the first. The first one got bad reviews, didn't it (some interest level here though)?

Not interested. [Mu], but absolutely. Hells to the no. Looks neat I love the aesthetic. Finally, absolutely yes, this game has been my most anticipated for what 3-4 years running (probably more because I've been hoping for it since P4)?
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    For me none of those being mentioned since I want to play DQ11 in english 3DS/PS4 BUT that most likely just won't happen outside of Japan in 2017 at all.

As for Kiseki the 3rd no thank's I'll still with the PS3/Vita evolution version of it in Japanese over playing ANY games on a PC at all.

I do want to play the PS4 FF7 remake but I don't know when that one will be localized if at all for this year.

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 2
    Must Buy:
    Tales of Berseria (...even if I am a half dozen games behind)
    DQ8 (... even if it is probably one of my least favorite DQ games, have the pre-order and must support DQ in the west)
    FF12 Zodiac Age (last good FF in HD goodness)

Maybe Buy:
    Atelier Firis (waaaay behind on this series)
    Tokyo Xanadu (unfamiliar with this series, waiting for reviews and maybe play Xanadu Next first?)
    Torment: Tides of Numinera (need to play planescape first to see if I like this style)
    Trails in the Sky Third Chapter (mixed on first, need to play second before I decide)
    Horizon: Zero Dawn (looks good, don't have a PS4, will wait for reviews)
    South Park: Fractured but Whole (enjoyed the first, but I will wait to see the battle system)
    Ni no Kuni 2 (Still need to play the first)
    Zelda: Breath of the Wild (will probably get this. Generally enjoy Zelda)
    Persona 5 (Have it pre-ordered. Not even sure if I like modern Persona yet though)

No Interest:
    Yakuza Kiwami
    Divinity Original Sin 2
    Ys Origin (already own. maybe get for trophies/achievements since I haven't played it yet?)
    Yakuza Zero
    NieR: Automata
    Mass Effect Andromeda (I'm done with Bioware.)
    FF14 Stormblood
    Cosmic Star Heroine (I'm done with Zeboyd.)

Most of the honorable mentions I know nothing about and currently have little interest in. Atelier Shallie (if I don't own it already?) and Cyberpunk 2077 are maybes. I'll probably end up with KH3 as well.

Actually looks like a pretty light year for me so far. That's fine, my backlog is huge and I will have two children under 2 years old shortly.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Interesting list of titles here, definitely helps me figure out whats on the docket for this year. No mention of Etrian Odyssey 5 though, I have to think thats coming this year, right? Hopefully.

Obviously Persona 5 is a top tier choice, I've listened to a few songs on the sound track already and I can't wait to play it. Have every confidence its going to be just as enjoyable as 3 and 4 were.

For the rest of whats here, I'm absolutely picking up Tales of Berseria this month. There's nothing quite like a Tales game for me, its one of the most satisfying series for my tastes each and every time. Yeah, Zesteria was a bit of a disappointment, but a lot of the issues I had were on the technical side and I have to think they've cleaned some of that up here.

Other locks for this year are: Breath of Wild, Tokyo Xanadu, Stormblood, Trails the 3rd, and Ni No Kuni 2.

Likely rentals: NieR: Automata, Horizon, Mass Effect, maybe South Park or Yakuza Zero.

I'm really curious to see how Tokyo Xanadu and NieR pan out. I absolutely adore Falcom's style, so I'm getting that based on merit alone. The original NieR I actually didn't care much for, but with Platinum Games on board I really think this game could end up being better than I expect.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Wake me up when Atelier stops charging time for every bloody action

Atelier Sophie took away the calendar entirely last year. You're a sound sleeper.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    edited January 2
    As for Berseria I played the JPN only PS3 and found the entire game too be too boring it has too MUCH backtracking and you can't even backtrack TO the major dungeons the game has only the major towns the game has.

That and even on easy mode the so called post game bonus dungeon the game has is NOT worth it.

As for the Atelier games I stopped playing any of those that does use that calendar system that's why I never played the first 2 "dusk" games of the 3 in fact my last game in that series I played was the PS1/PS2 games.

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    Interesting list of titles here, definitely helps me figure out whats on the docket for this year. No mention of Etrian Odyssey 5 though, I have to think thats coming this year, right? Hopefully.
    We only voted on games confirmed for NA regardless of the estimated date.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Yeah I figured that was probably the case Mac, its just surprising to me that it has yet to be confirmed for NA release by now.
    Gotta be soon.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    7thCircle wrote: »

Atelier Sophie took away the calendar entirely last year. You're a sound sleeper.

Thanks for the wake up call! Is it worth checking out?
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I'm kinda interested in why Smacd you're done with Zeboyd, if you wanna message me if you don't wanna post it's cool.

I'm really excited for Cosmic star Heroine since it's the first game that Zeboyd games has done since Cathulu so I'm willing to give it more of a chance due to that because it's always harder when working with some one elses IP
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • RealityCheckedRealityChecked Member Full Members
    5) Horizon - I'll wait for a review, but still intrigued.
    4) Zelda BotW - Open worlds are fine, but it makes storytelling tougher.
    3) Ni No Kuni II - The first was a beautiful game full of flaws. The second looks like a beautiful game...flaws TBD.
    2) Tales of Berseria - I actually thought Zestiria was a better than average Tales, and I like what I've seen of Berseria so far. I hope Velvet turns out to be a solid lead.
    1) Trails in the Sky 3 - The only downside is this is the last one confirmed for the West, but at least we're catching up!

No interest: All the remakes.
    Slight interest: Y's Origin and Tokyo Xanadu
    Interest, but would have to play other games in the series first: Atelier Firis and Persona 5
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 3
    I'm kinda interested in why Smacd you're done with Zeboyd, if you wanna message me if you don't wanna post it's cool.

I was pretty excited for CSH as it was getting nearer to release, even though I'm not a huge fan of the game inspirations or of sci-fi settings. I was a Zeboyd fan since Breath of Death VII first released on XBLIG.

I have no problem posting the reason. It happened on a public forum in the first place. The long and short of it is that Robert Boyd got pretty butthurt over a response I made to a twitter comment of his that mostly agreed with him on a political point a couple months ago (though pointing out that the opposition wasn't exactly clean on the same issue, with example), and he just blocked me in response. Not sure why, I was up for a reasonable, adult conversation/debate, and he brought the topic up in the first place in a public manner - which is why I assumed he was open for conversation/debate instead of just looking for an echo chamber to re-enforce his own views only.

However, at this point I have no interest in supporting him or his company anymore. I'm not going to support someone who treats fans like that, especially if that fan is me.

On the good side, I no longer have to try to decide if I want the Vita or PC version. So there's that. I'd been debating that one since CSH was announced and XBLIG was no longer an option.

edit: I'd love to defend myself from some serious mischaracterizations and blatant lies Boyd said below, but its not worth derailing the thread further. I made the mistake of engaging in political discussion with an angry, closed-minded person. I'm better off not supporting someone like that. My apologies for derailing this thread.
    edited January 3
    There's a good variety of games coming this year, that's for sure!
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited January 3

I posted some comments on Twitter that I was deeply disgusted & depressed that our country elected Trump and I didn't want the extra struggle of raising a bunch of daughters in a country that just placed someone who is proud of his misogyny and who is normalizing rape culture in the highest position. smacd tried to argue with me that Trump was great, that Hillary is worse (which besides not being true, the quality or lack thereof of someone else is irrelevant) & I should just get over it. So I went to his Twitter timeline, discovered a bunch of Pro-Trump stuff & insults directed at everyone who was against Trump, decided I didn't need that kind of hate in my life, and that there was no point in arguing with someone who thinks that SJW should be an insult and that most domestic violence is perpetrated by women on men, so I blocked him.
    Check out upcoming RPG, Cosmic Star Heroine, at http://cosmicstarheroine.com/
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I have response to both of you however I will not derail this thread further with that. Part of it seems misunderstanding and part of it does seem legit but also one learns in the Military there is 3 things you don't talk about in the Ward Room

1. Politics
    2. Who's dating whom (used to be women but now we have women in the military and you didn't wanna inadvertantly find out that one person was dating two different people at the same time. Which yes, does happen)
    3. Religion

Persona 5 is heavily on my list along with VIII and Berseria.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    Yeah, sorry for derailing the thread, it's just that since it was brought up, I wanted to make sure my side of the story was shared as well.
    Check out upcoming RPG, Cosmic Star Heroine, at http://cosmicstarheroine.com/
  • bill_at_zeboydbill_at_zeboyd New Member Full Members
    edited January 3
    I'm super interested in Horizon Zero Dawn. I haven't followed it too too closely, but I love the concept and the setting and character(s)-- I'm hoping the gameplay is really solid too, of course. I am not sure that the demos at conventions they've done can convey everything or teach the player and let them sink into it, so I'll just be waiting patiently for reviews.

Something not on the list (probably due to no official western release info yet, right?) is Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, but hopefully that makes it over here some time in 2017.

edit: also good to see YIIK in the Honorable Mentions!
    Ys VIII should totally make it, just not confirmed officially yet. It would have been on my list if it had been.

And thank you all for not totally derailing things. Anything further can be done in DMs or in the Say Anything thread in Misc.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    There's only two games on that list that I'm definitely buying: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Dragon Quest VIII. There's a few more I have a slight interest in, but I probably won't play them, or even get them. There may be several unannounced games that I will get, but for now, it's a bit odd that I'm looking forward to so little. Ah well, it may give me a chance to catch up on the backlog.

I also very much appreciate the prevention of derailment :)
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited January 3

If you were previously interested in the series because of its crafting, style of storytelling, slow-paced open world, and simple JRPG combat, but you'd been avoiding it because of the deadlines, then you should check it out.

For me, I thought this was one of the weaker entries in the series. The big thing it did right was remove time constraints. Other than that I found it to be mediocre and uninspired. Maybe wait for Firis to come out and see if it's better?
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    My list of the ones mentioned goes Trails 3rd, NieR Automata (depending on the demo), DQVIII, South Park, Ni no Kuni 2 (if it's not delayed), Breath of the Wild, FFXII Zodiac, CSH and P5.

In some cases I've had the games preordered for 3-4 years.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited January 4
    You want to talk politics? I got the first instance of 'damn' or any of its derivatives into official rpgamer text content.

#FreeSpeechLives!
    How the moo did you moo moo mooing moo do that?
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    You want to talk politics? I got the first instance of 'damn' or any of its derivatives into official rpgamer text content.

#FreeSpeechLives!

Really? I figured I'd gotten it into a JP column at least a few times in the past.

Wheels and I really tried to sneak in a pair of write-ups for The Alliance Alive, but Mac wouldn't have any of it :pensive:

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    I was rather surprised to see Horizon: Zero Dawn on here, but I haven't kept much in check with that game since the original announcement trailer, so it won't surprise me too much if there's a lot of RPG elements there. It's definitely a game I'm looking forward to.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff

If you were previously interested in the series because of its crafting, style of storytelling, slow-paced open world, and simple JRPG combat, but you'd been avoiding it because of the deadlines, then you should check it out.

For me, I thought this was one of the weaker entries in the series. The big thing it did right was remove time constraints. Other than that I found it to be mediocre and uninspired. Maybe wait for Firis to come out and see if it's better?

Yeah there's nothing much fresh or new in it (and this is the first one I've dug into since Totori), but I have been having a good time. At the worst it will be a nice refresher on mechanics and stuff for the next game Golbez?

#FreeSpeechLives!

Really? I figured I'd gotten it into a JP column at least a few times in the past.

Wheels and I really tried to sneak in a pair of write-ups for The Alliance Alive, but Mac wouldn't have any of it :pensive:

FREE ALLIANCE ALIVE!
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff

#FreeSpeechLives!

google advanced search show that fan submitted stuff was getting away with from 1999-2003. but otherwise nadda.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Weird. I just checked, and one of my predecessors in JP had it in on three occasions (Feb. 3, Oct. 19, and Nov. 29, all 2003), while apparently the closest I got was a bunch of "dam" wordplay in 2008 on the subject of Dungeons & Dam.