If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Most Anticipated RPGs - Feature

2»

Comments

• SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    All Yakuza, Nier, NNKuni 2, Persona, Horizon, Zelda.
  • PowerlordPowerlord Spy, gentlemen! Full Members
    edited January 5
    While I'm definitely looking forward to Zelda this year, I don't play nearly as many RPGs now as I used to.

Some games I'm looking forward to this year include:

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games. This is a remake of Zero Escape: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors packaged with a re-release of Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. Also, it's on PS4 and PC in addition to Vita (but not 3DS...).

Resident Evil 7. It looks like it's a return to form for Resident Evil... 5 and 6 were notably disappointing.

Tacoma. Looks like it might be interesting, but I may wait for reviews before making any purchasing decisions.

Yooka-Laylee. It's heavily influenced by Banjo Kazooie... need I say more?

Rime looks like it will be an interesting game. I'm just hoping it doesn't pull a Witness by making some of the puzzles next to impossible to solve without cheating.

I would be looking forward to Ys 8, but I detest playing a series out of order and Ys 5 never got an English release. Even if I were to play a ROM hack of it, Ys Seven is a PSP title and I've never owned a PSP.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    That is a really expensive game if you don't own a Wii U. I'd rather have a PS4, which I don't have yet, either.
    I am not questioning the high placement as it does look fun, I'm just saying bad value for the money.
    Ys Seven is a PSP title
    Get a Vita or a Vita TV. Then buy the game on PSN Store, its regular price is $15: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/ys-seven-psp/
    Alternatively, you could get a PSP and use your computer to transfer the downloaded game to your PSP. A Vita is only a little more than a PSP and has more functions, and Vita TV is a lot cheaper than a PSP, so those are the options I'll recommend.

You are right. There's no Ys 5 in English.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Powerlord wrote: »
    I would be looking forward to Ys 8, but I detest playing a series out of order and Ys 5 never got an English release. Even if I were to play a ROM hack of it, Ys Seven is a PSP title and I've never owned a PSP.

You do know that outside of I&II/Origin, the stories in Ys games are totally unrelated right? Ys V did get a fan translation, but its also pretty bad. Seems a poor reason to hold you up from playing an excellent series.
    You are right. There's no Ys 5 in English.

Quite true until a few years back, though I can't exactly recommend actually playing the thing. I'm hoping it will be next up to get an "Oath in Felghana" style total remake.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • OrophinOrophin New Member Full Members
    Out of those games, I'll definitely be getting Stormblood and TitS the 3rd. I didn't play ME3, but playing a new game in the series might be intriguing. I have a Wii U (only got it for Xenoblade X, which I'm kind of regretting doing) so I may try the Zelda game since I don't think I've actually played one since the SNES version. (I know, shame on me for never having played OoT or Majora's Mask) I played a little bit of the first Ni No Kuni, but for some reason I never really got into it so it's not likely I play the sequel.
  • ultranessultraness Member Full Members
    My top five, not necessarily in order:

Persona 5
    Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Trails in the Sky 3
    Nier Automata
    South Park

I'm surprised you have two ports in the top ten. I'm not excited for DQVIII or FFXII since I've already played and beaten both games. FFXII will do more to improve on the original, but it still won't fix my biggest problems with the game (which are many). As for DQVIII, I think I'll wait for a possible later port to PS4. My honorable mentions: Mass Effect Andromeda and Tales of Berseria. There's a good chance I'll play both, but I'm not entirely convinced that Andromeda will actually come out next year, while I haven't exactly been impressed by the most recent Tales games I've played.
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    PS4 might get DQVIII as a PS2 classic. I highly doubt it will get the added material of the DS version. I'm not excited about playing DQ8 again enough to get it either, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on a PS4 port.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
    ultraness wrote: »
    My top five, not necessarily in order:

Persona 5
    Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Trails in the Sky 3
    Nier Automata
    South Park

I'm surprised you have two ports in the top ten. I'm not excited for DQVIII or FFXII since I've already played and beaten both games. FFXII will do more to improve on the original, but it still won't fix my biggest problems with the game (which are many). As for DQVIII, I think I'll wait for a possible later port to PS4. My honorable mentions: Mass Effect Andromeda and Tales of Berseria. There's a good chance I'll play both, but I'm not entirely convinced that Andromeda will actually come out next year, while I haven't exactly been impressed by the most recent Tales games I've played.

We never got the international version of FFXII so that is very much a new version of that game and not just a simple port.
    sig.gif
  • gvargasgvargas IT Las VegasFull Members
    What? Rainbow Skies is not on the list? It definitely has to be released this year after so many delays right? ;)
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    It wasn't a comprehensive list, so that didn't get enough votes to rank. It is scheduled for this year, though.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    PS4 might get DQVIII as a PS2 classic. I highly doubt it will get the added material of the DS version. I'm not excited about playing DQ8 again enough to get it either, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on a PS4 port.

I don't expect it to be released on the PS4. It's more the case that I won't be interested in buying the game again unless it's for a console and it includes the bonuses added to the 3DS version.
    Wheels wrote: »
    We never got the international version of FFXII so that is very much a new version of that game and not just a simple port.

It's a port of a different version of a game, but it's still a port. It does make me more interested in the game than I would be if it was the original version, but I still wouldn't rank it in the top ten because I've already played the game before.

Adding content to FFXII won't make it good. The only way to do that is to take a wrecking ball to the game and build it over again from the ground up.
    FFXII is fantastic, especially the battle system, though the story isn't as good as it could be thanks to Vaan. Best battle system ever. Ever.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 7
    The story is nothing. Whatever you want to say about plot, characters, or world building, fine (it's not like I bothered to research all the info I'm sure they had socked away somewhere in the menus), but there is no real narrative there. The cinematic sequences tell almost nothing. Anything that actually happens is at best hinted at and on the periphery of the actual characters. It's not just Vaan. Even Ashe, who seems to be the most relevant character to the actual plot, is pretty tangential to wherever the actual story is supposed to be in this game. The villain is barely in the game at all and then we're supposed to make something of his rambling at the end as if his motivations or anything about him have been established to resonate? It's garbage. Calling the story "bad" is being too kind to the game. "Bad" implies it was stupid, but that they actually bothered to tell it, which they didn't. I could say the battle system is nothing too, since it essentially plays itself, but it's probably fine for people who like MMORPG and Western RPG type gameplay. I don't. Not to mention the lack of good gambit conditions for healing multiple party members when they have spells specifically for healing multiple party members.
    Story is whatever. Battle system is spot on. Might be a little too complex for some, though.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 8
    How is letting the game play itself too complex? I'm sure setting up the perfect gambit conditions is pretty complex, but once you do that it's pretty much on autopilot. Also, for a large portion of the game, the gambit options are pretty limited anyway.
    edited January 10
    How is letting the game play itself too complex? I'm sure setting up the perfect gambit conditions is pretty complex, but once you do that it's pretty much on autopilot. Also, for a large portion of the game, the gambit options are pretty limited anyway.

I don't believe you can program it well enough to just win any fight (unless you're super overleveled), and besides it's not "playing itself" because A) you're programming the thing and B) Like you say unless you go out of your way the gambit options aren't comprehensive and it's mostly a matter of choosing the ones that make things easier for you. And also C) what other RPG has AI programming this complex?

All said, gambits are 100% optional and you can play without them at all if you like (I mainly just used them to auto-use status ailment healing items).
    ultraness wrote: »
    It's a port of a different version of a game, but it's still a port. It does make me more interested in the game than I would be if it was the original version, but I still wouldn't rank it in the top ten because I've already played the game before.

It's a port of a version of the game with a TON of cool changes, I really think you're downplaying this a lot. There's plenty of reasons for people to be excited enough for this to make a top 10.

sig.gif
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    For me it's a port of a game I didn't like. I was a lot less into playing MMO's as a single person game then I am now and with that same reason I've not really played FFXV much more then to get to chapter 2 is because it's not exactly my style of game.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • MyopicMirrorMyopicMirror Full Members
    The only games I'm really excited to play this year are Summon Night 6 and Persona 5, I hope neither gets delayed again.
    I'll faint if Summon Night 6 ISN'T delayed again. And again.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    edited January 11
    Macstorm wrote: »
    I'll faint if Summon Night 6 ISN'T delayed again. And again.

I'm excited for Summon Night 6 as well, but there wasn't any way I was giving Vic $150 upfront after Summon Night 5 delays. The delays didn't bother me (I kinda expected them with the last physical PSP game), but Gaijinworks' inability to communicate with its buyers was really frustrating. Eh, let me know when it's out and I'll grab it. Hopefully this one has adjustable difficulty in-game.

Other games I'm excited for:
    Trails in the Sky 3rd (can't wait for Kevin's adventures)
    Yakuza 0 (80's Japan looks so interesting)
    Persona 5 (hoping demon negotiation doesn't drag it down for me; I'm a filthy casual Persona fan :)
    Yakuza Kiwami (been putting off tracking down a PS2 copy in hopes this might come out; now Yakuza 1 with more Majima)
    Gravity Rush 2 (1st one was my favorite game on the Vita; gonna have a hell of a time deciding what to play when that comes out 4 days apart from Yakuza 0)
    Ys 8 (I'm sure it's coming this year and the Japanese-speaking fans seem to think this is the best Ys game)
    edited January 12
    Wheels wrote: »
    It's a port of a version of the game with a TON of cool changes, I really think you're downplaying this a lot. There's plenty of reasons for people to be excited enough for this to make a top 10.

It makes improvements, for sure, but it won't suddenly make its story or characters good or entirely fix other issues I have with the game, like the grinding taking way too long (the ability to speed up the game will diminish this problem) or regular battles getting boring and monotonous due to the Gambit system (won't be altered). Being a port is really reason alone for it not to make the top ten for me, but I take issue with its placement mainly because it was ranked 3 (instead of say 9 or 8), which I think is way too high for an old game when so many promising new games are coming out.
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    I'm surprised nioh wasn't on the list, Im really looking forward to it, its just a shame in comes out so close to yakuza and im really bad when it comes to playing two games at the same time.
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster