If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Your Game(s) of the Year 2016

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
(Most of the text shamelessly stolen from ChickenGod's thread for last year :) )

Hey everyone! While the staff gets ready to formulate their awards (expect them late-Jan/early-Feb so we can give everyone the chance to do some late catch up) ,this is the place where you, the forum goer, can let us know which games you thought were the most outstanding (and no so great!) this year. Honor your favorite title with your own personal GOTY Award, tell us why, and even shame your not-so-favorites.

This 2016 had quite a few interesting releases, including Final Fantasy XV finally becoming an actual thing. So, what stood out to you over this past year? As always, this is is all in good fun and a very unofficial thread to talk about your opinions on 2016's releases in gaming. Without further ado, here are some category suggestions we have used before for your copying and pasting pleasure, but feel free to add your own:

GOTY: Pretty self explanatory. Any game in any genre that came out this year is eligible, and if something came out late December last year that can count just avoid any questionable situations.

GOTY Runner-Up: The second/third best game you played this year. This is for everyone who loved too many games to list only one.

Anti GOTY: The worst game you played this year. Doesn't necessarily have to be a bad game either.

Anti GOTY Runner-Up: The second/third worst games this year. For those of us who want to dishonor even more games for being crappy!

Anything Else: Want to add your own category? Go right ahead! Some examples used by others range from "GOTY that didn't come out this year" to "Most Surprising/Disappointing". These can make for a more interesting read.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    GOTY: Pokemon Moon - Of the 2016 titles that I played in 2016, this was the only real standout for me, and it was still just "good". The best "new" game I played in 2016 was Radiant Historia, followed by Parasite Eve. Also, I got to replay two of my favorites, Pokemon Platinum and Dead Or Alive 5.

Anti GOTY: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven - This was absolutely terrible. I thought it would just be All-Star Battle with more characters and less hardware problems. I was wrong on all accounts. The battle system was worthless, the online is a joke, and the reused assets from ASB were just all-out laziness.

Most Disappointing: Fire Emblem Fates - After Awakening's massive success, I was kind of expecting something more along those lines for the next entry. I was sort of right. Really, Fates (all three routes) suffers from severe lack of passion. Everything seemed to be geared to being as pandering to as many people as possible, and the game's quality felt harmed by it. Despite all of the good ideas within the game, there was a cavalcade of toxic decisions that made the games feel kind of gross to play at times--and the NA/PAL versions removed the groping mini-game. The fact that such a mini-game even exists within a Fire Emblem game is beyond baffling to me.
    ClixPsi.png
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    Didn't Come Out This Year: Hatsune Miku Project DIVA 2nd (PSP): It was released in 2010, but I have literally never had so much fun playing a videogame.
    It's hard to explain what's fun about it. It is literally just a basic rhythm game full of her and her friends' music. I tried here to explain it: http://forums.rpgamer.com/discussion/comment/506453/#Comment_506453 It has a ridiculously strong tracklist - I liked 40 of the 42 included songs, which is completely insane.

Disappointment: Hatsune Miku Project DIVA X (Vita): The later games have to be better right? A weak tracklist (a lot of tracks I did not like), not enough tracks, bad PVs/music videos and a story mode nobody wanted make this an awful game. Avoid.

Side note: Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone for PS4 is out next week on PSN. It is free to try, so please do so!

GOTY: Trails of Cold Steel II. It's the only 2016 game I played in 2016, I think, and I liked it. You will enjoy it if you liked the first game, Trails of Cold Steel, and avoid if you did not like the first game. I think Trails II is a better game than the first. You have more options in battle, and battles are balanced to be a little tougher, which I appreciated - battles were too easy in the previous game. As usual, there is an exciting main scenario for you to enjoy. It sounds dumb, but I also really liked the snowboarding minigame.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    GOTY: Metroid Prime Federation Force. It's the first Metroid game I actually enjoyed and one of the few shooters I actually enjoyed on any system, let alone the 3DS. (My selection may be purely based on spite.)

GOTY Runner-Up: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. My favorite RPG of the year for its fun stories, streamlined Persona-style gameplay and an ending that I'm STILL grinning over.

Anti-GOTY: Langrisser Reincarnation (3DS). I gave it the equivalent of RPGamer's 1 / 5 when I reviewed it for sub-SNES graphics (seriously), an incredibly boring battle system and having to list "did not brick my 3DS" as a positive point. I should have known it was bad when one of my fellow reviewers - who reviews most of the eShop crap - sent me Twitter condolences.

Anti-GOTY Runner-Up: Mighty No 9. I paid $10 for this. I got ripped off.

Most Disappointing: Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma. Part of it was that I played the worst version (3DS), but all versions completely blew the landing on the story.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 7
    Ah yeah, I totally should have posted this sooner. Thanks for being on top of it Severin. I was gonna post it right away but I can never remember when RPGamer posts their official feature and didn't want them both to align.

I'm always eager to see people's true opinion on this sort of thing. Maybe its just me, but I feel like its difficult to tell how much people truly love or dislike a game during the hype phase of a release. Anyways heres whats on my docket this year!

GOTY: Trails of Cold Steel 2 - What can be said be said from someone who loves the Trails series that hasn't been said about this one? Its amazing, my favorite game of the year. Done and done.

GOTY Runner-Up: Grim Dawn - Its amazing what a $13 sale with less than a week in the year can produce. Grim Dawn wasn't even on my radar, and with that small amount of time it rocketed above the rest of this year's titles.

Anti GOTY: Star Fox Zero - Couldn't stand it whatsoever. The control scheme just ruined any chance of enjoyment that I could have had. It holds the dubious honor of one of the only games I couldn't stomach long enough to play for more than 1 day.

Anti COTY Runner-Up: Pokken Tournament - This is judged mostly on its single player campaign and and the laggy online play. Im sure its better as a competitive fighter.

Most Surprising: Tokyo Mirage Sessions - To this day I'm stunned that I ended up enjoying this game. The trailers I watched made the game look horrible, and I was convinced I wouldn't like it. Fast forward a couple months into it and not only is it my third favorite game this year, but I also like it a lot more than FE Fates. I don't think future-me could have convinced me that would have happened.

Most Disappointing: Fire Emblem Fates - Clix hit some of the points well here, and I'm actually surprised someone else feels the same way given its generally positive reception. The story, split routes, and a couple of frustrating segments just held the game back too much for me to really fall in love with it. Fates was one of the premier releases this year, so the fact that it didn't live up to expectations is why it lands here.

• DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    I played a few games and only finished The Witness so that I guess. Never thought I'd play a 40-hour line puzzle game.

Some other good games I didn't finish (or even come close, in some cases): Thumper, Pillars of Eternity: The White March, DQVII, SMTIV: Apocalypse.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Of some of the game of 2016 that I play here my list

GOTY: Stardew Valley : this is really I game that I did enjoy a lot, I would play it again without any hesitation.

GOTY Runner-Up:World of Final Fantasy: this one did manage to give me a lot of enjoyment and really like the fact (I think, still working on that) that we can collect them all without another game and there not one that you have to get at a special event, I might be wrong corrects me if I am.

Probably Pokémon Moon would have been there with the entire positive critic that I heard, but because on my runner up I did not play much of it, still on the first island. I can say that Bravely Second seems nice to, but I am halfway there and got distract by other game like the great Monster Hunter Generation.

I do not think of any that I can say was the worst, did not have time to play the Langrisser one, but even if it is bad I did buy it to tell them, that we want the other great that we miss of this series…
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited January 12
    My GOTY and anti-GOTY are RPGs, so I'll save them for the staff feature. My other awards:

Not-RPG of the Year: Gears of War 4. My brother and I shredded through this in less than a 24 hour period, and honestly I don't remember much about it other than recalling that the campaign was a lot of fun. The best part was playing horde mode later and seeing stats show that I'm much, much better at the game than my brother. This is key because he gets younger brothery on me when I give him advice in co-op games. If only Grim Dawn showed stats.

Most Over-trolled: No Man's Sky. It was addicting and fun, and like most sandbox games you eventually realize there's not much to it, you're just sitting in sand, and you stop playing. I don't care that the creator went on an unleashed PR lie-fest leading up to the release and I don't pay attention to hype. I loved this game until I woke up one day and was sick of it, and other people who ignore hype seemed to do the same.

Most Unintentionally Bizarre: Final Fantasy XV. I've played games where I stare slack-jawed at the screen and wonder what the heck is going on. Usually, the devs create those moments on purpose. In Final Fantasy XV, they didn't. One of the strangest polished games I've ever played. I don't even know how to talk about it yet. I'll need to search the internet for words.

Most Disappointing: Dishonored 2. I loved Dishonored and played it four times, and I very rarely play games twice. Action games and stealth games tread a fine line for me. The sequel had levels that were too wide, and the collect-a-holic in me wants every charm and rune, meaning I ended up zigzagging through every inch of every level while aiming for a low chaos run by not killing anyone. I did not find that fun and haven't finished it yet.

Game I Should Have Played More: Overwatch. My brother and I played it during a free login period. I got hooked. He hated it so co-op was out of the question. I decided I didn't have the time to get addicted to another game and didn't buy it.

Most Platinumed: Atelier Sophie. I finally got my 1st platinum trophy! I have some 100%s on Steam but they're all games where you get that just for beating them.

Best Boss Fight (tie): Ozma (Final Fantasy XIV) and The Witch of the Lake (Salt and Sanctuary). There's something exciting about fighting a complex battle with 23 other people for the first time while one of them quickly types mechanics in a chat window for you to memorize and react to, all while a massive shiny orb tries to murder everyone. The Witch was one of those challenging fights that's frustrating and impossible until it clicks, you win, and you bask in victory hormones and pause to catch your breath afterward.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    GOTY: Trails of Cold Steel II (PS3/Vita). Loved the first game so of course I loved this improved sequel. I've really enjoyed how the Erebonian arc makes you feel a bit uncomfortable rooting for a country that has been an antagonist in the first two arcs. It will be interesting to see how they wrap that up in the 3rd game.

GOTY Runner-Up: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (WiiU). Loved how colorful and lighthearted the game was; brought a smile to my face every time I came back to it. I really liked how the addition of the weapons triangle from FE improved the press-turn battle system; eliminating the need to fumble around trying to find enemy weakness when you encountered a new enemy.

Anti GOTY: Fire Emblem Fates (3DS). The further removed I am from playing this game, the less I like it. It had some fantastic level design, especially in the Conquest route, but the characters didn't click with me and it felt like it was a weak story that was stretched out way too far over three different routes and to shoehorn in all the different mechanics they felt they *had* to include. Mind you, I didn't HATE the game (I put 100 hours into it), but it ranks at the bottom of Fire Emblem games I've played and was a huge letdown.

Favorite Title: My Twin Brother Made Me Crossdress as Him and Now I Have to Deal with a Geeky Stalker and a Domme Beauty Who Want Me in a Bind!! or Ladykiller in a Bind (PC). Christine Love's new NSFW visual novel was funny and a lot of fun. The dialog system was particularly interesting, adding and taking away options as the conversation developed, but also having tension as you risked looking like an idiot for sitting there saying nothing if you waited too long. Glad it made it to Steam so more people will try it out.

Favorite Game not from 2016: Pangya: Fantasy Golf (PSP). Picked this up for $8 on Amazon because I was craving a golf game and boy did this not disappoint. A golf game with a completely crazy story about saving the world? Count me in. Also, Uncle Bob = Best Character. You keep eating the Fried Chicken and chasing the ladies Bob.

Game that might be GOTY if I had finished it: Steins;Gate 0 (Vita). I didn't think Steins:Gate needed a sequel, but this has proven me wrong. Its really good and I have to find a way to finish it before the crush of new releases starts at the end of the month.