If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Mac's Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Journey

2»

Comments

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited February 18
    Sad to admit, but I think the slow PS1 port was the last time I played FF6. I passed on FF6 Advance because I assumed a real remake would come out on the DS, and the last time I had the SNES plugged in (2004-ish) I went for FF4 and Mario RPG.

Sabin was in every party in every playthrough of my childhood because Blitz was OP until the endgame. Locke got added as a coughs lock once a guide showed me the importance of steal. The other two slots changed from playthrough to playthrough depending on which party members I was feeling at the time. Terra and Mog more than others, Umaro or Gogo for a change of pace but never permanently. I remember using Cyan one entire playthrough because a friend liked him, and in my last playthrough I used Relm for the first time just because I was rotating magicite before level-ups to max stats and her base magic was the highest.

So the closest I had to a standard party was Terra, Locke, Mog, Sabin, but not because of any great battle strategy. Mog kinda sucks all game.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I usually went for style over abilities, so it was usually Sabin, Shadow, Celes (sometimes Terra), and most of the time Edgar.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited February 18
    Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, Gau.

Reason I Edgar and Sabin and beasts with Tool and Blitz, Cyan can be a power house despite his build up time.

But Gau ... lets say if you get the right Rage for Gau he's destroys. There is specifically an enemy end game named IO, giant spider mech looking thing, that has an ability I thnk it's called Red Star or something similar but it does pretty decent damage for Gau, also several of his early rages are really good with multi-target so he can consistantly be hitting multiple enemies.

Also because of how much I used Gau I spent a lot of time on the Veldt which made me aware there is a rotational pattern for how monsters show up and it specifically resets with 4 flan. So you get 4 Flan, then like 3 - 4 more fights that are always the same then it starts rotating more things in again till you get 4 flan
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I never really used Sabin until years later when I found out you could double-tap arrow keys for Blitzes instead of doing the Street Fighter 2 motions. I went Edgar/Celes/Terra/Mog most of the time and just wore guys out with Ultima.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Theres tons of broken setups from what I can remember about the battle system in FF6. Most of the time that you could I enjoyed rolling with my favorite characters, Shadow, Mog, Celes, and Cyan. Sometimes threw Setzer and Terra in there as well of course. Its interesting you and 7th mention the PS1 port having slow loading times, since that was also the last time I played it via PS3. My replay wasn't the best, I didnt finish and came away thinking FF6 wasn't quite as good as I remember and certainly not "objectively the best FF game period" like many would have you believe. Blasphemy I know, right? Now thats its been mentioned though one of my big replay complaints was how slow it was, which has been echoed here. Glad to know it doesn't deserve that as a knock against it.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
    Yeah the PS Version had weird slow down issues, I had played teh SNES before and the GBA after and it is something unique to the PS1 version
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    However PSN games are straight up ports meaning that the Slow down issue's/loading times still exist for the PSN version of FF6.

But the PSN version of FF5 when played on BOTH the PS2 and Vita/PS TV still suffers from the save glitch where you get such a glitchy screen its nearly impossible to save the game.

The only way to actually SEE the game screen to avoid the FF5 PSN glitch is to play the PS1 version on a PS1/PS3/PS4 system the Vita version still shows a glitchy screen at random when playing FF5 via PSN on it.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    And this is why the GBA versions of FFV and FFVI have secondhand prices a full order of magnitude above the PSX ports.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    As for FF 9 while I loved its battle system it still sucks when its so slow for in battle that Auto haste itself is practically useless most bosses Ozma included will still act first even with the entire party auto hasted.

Trance mode ALSO sucks if a boss dies only to have a party member hit trance mode AND lose it at the same time since once in Trance mode the said trance meter similar to FF7's limit meter goes from 100% to 0 after its used.

So in FF9 it sucks to hit trance mode at the same time a boss dies (or in the case of a unbeatable boss) go into trance mode as soon as the boss runs away (but not before) leaving you with 1HP left still causing the trance meter to reset to 0% after the fights over.

• OrophinOrophin New Member Full Members
    FF9 probably fits in my top 5 favorites of FF games. Like you, it's probably one of the ones I haven't played in the longest amount of time. As much as I enjoyed it, it was kind of a one and done thing for me. I didn't see any point in playing it again for some reason.

FF3 is the only FF game I've played that I haven't beaten. I don't know why, but everytime I get to that point in the game where you have to mini your characters I just can't find the patience to get through it. I did the three endgame areas in FFXIV (Labyrinth of the Ancients, Crystal Tower, World of Darkness) so I think that's good enough for me. They're supposedly bringing Eureka in the Stormblood expansion as well.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    VeghEsther wrote: »
    As for FF 9 while I loved its battle system it still sucks when its so slow for in battle that Auto haste itself is practically useless most bosses Ozma included will still act first even with the entire party auto hasted.

Trance mode ALSO sucks if a boss dies only to have a party member hit trance mode AND lose it at the same time since once in Trance mode the said trance meter similar to FF7's limit meter goes from 100% to 0 after its used.

So in FF9 it sucks to hit trance mode at the same time a boss dies (or in the case of a unbeatable boss) go into trance mode as soon as the boss runs away (but not before) leaving you with 1HP left still causing the trance meter to reset to 0% after the fights over.
    These are some of the many complaints I have for FF9. I have so many for the game that it surprisingly is one of my least liked FF games. Just reminds me that I SHOULD play through it again despite this, it's been at least 12 years since I last played it.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    I play FF9 every now and then but yes the slow battles mean auto haste is practically useless as soon as you learn it permanently and trance mode still sucks if you end a battle and go into trance as the same time.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Just be aware Mac that FFIX had TONS of secrets and hidden items and etc that it's easy to miss stuff. I highly recommend using a FAQ for it if you wanna try and get everything, cause certain things have limited windows are insane requirements to get. Now if you just wanna play for fun then have it
    sig.gif

That too but the only worthwhile quests are fighting Hades/Ozma/the cursed book boss/chocobo mini game for better weapons/armors all other subquests in game besides these 4 aren't really worth it.
    Yes, but imagine the bragging rights if you actually manage to get to that one spot in the final level before the 10-hour mark, thus getting that super sword before Gilgamesh can. (I think that's what was supposed to happen, at least; never actually bothered to try)
    Actually its under 11 hours for the Excalibur 2 the weapon itself doesn't really contain any skills that even the normal Excalibur 1 has to learn so not only is the weapon not worth it, but if you over level then pretty much Steiner's fight command with hit for 9999 damage per hit while you can still use Shock for 9999 damage for bosses starting on disc 4.

But by then I spend over 40+hours of playing the game and no if you let the FF9 timer roll over to zero hours after having 999:99:99 on the clock (basically 1000 hours on the timer) you still won't be able to pick up the Excalibur 2 in FF9's last dungeon.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    FFIX I think was that one I felt 100% was FF, Don't get me wrong love X, XI and XIV don't count for me XIII is a mess and don't get me started on my loathing of XII.

Oh Mac a neat trick is use a tent on bosses ... it can hit them with tons of debuffs
    sig.gif

I used one on Gizwhatever on the way to Burmecia to mute and blind it. Was really handy.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Oooh, that's right up there with rezzing the final boss of FF:Mystic Quest to death.
  • swangtalswangtal Full Members
    That's as far as I got in the game. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the story played out.
    I also used the tent trick once ethers suck after all if you Grand Dragon farm ON the way to Gizamuke to go from like level 10 to level 30 then when you DO need to restore MP ethers aren't going to cut it anymore.

Instead use a tent on your OWN party members to restore like 50% of your own max MP when needed just be immune to the same status ailments the tents cause when it doesn't restore your HP/MP at all.

Yes Amarant's chakra move sucks once the entire party has like 400 + MP since it won't even restore like 50 MP just for 1 use where as with 400 to 500 MP 1x tent should restore more MP then that but using ethers to restore MP once your MP is that high is totally pointless.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm