If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Mac's Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Journey

13»

Comments

• GogarGogar New Member Full Members
    It's sounding like you're enjoying FFIX the most out of your journey so far. It's been a long time since I've replayed that myself, I've forgotten most of the finer points of the story, I might follow suit.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited April 22
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Mac, you're missing the link
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    Thanks for that. Fixed.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    I love using duel WHM in FFIX. It was very handy in later area's especially since many of hte spells don't cross between the two of them
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    No worries Mac, at least this game is holding your interest quite a bit. It's truely, I feel, the last FF I loved 100$
    sig.gif

It's always been in the lower end of my top FFs, but I've hardly ever really been able to nail why this is. This is my third playthrough of the game, so hopefully I can get more critical analysis as why this is.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited May 6
    I have always viewed FFIX as the most overall solid entry. Essentially, I can't imagine anyone that could hate or dislike the game (without simply disliking the genre as a whole), but I also don't think that it's too many people's "favorite." As a game designed with a lost of nostalgia, I think that it ultimately lacks a certain clincher element to make it stand out among the various titles that more frequently count as series favorites. Basically, I think most people would rank IX within the Top 5 of the series but not too much higher, but that spot in the Top 5 is almost uncontested.
    ClixPsi.png
    Clix wrote: »
    I have always viewed FFIX as the most overall solid entry. Essentially, I can't imagine anyone that could hate or dislike the game (without simply disliking the genre as a whole), but I also don't think that it's too many people's "favorite." As a game designed with a lost of nostalgia, I think that it ultimately lacks a certain clincher element to make it stand out among the various titles that more frequently count as series favorites. Basically, I think most people would rank IX within the Top 5 of the series but not too much higher, but that spot in the Top 5 is almost uncontested.

It's my wife's favorite. But she likes the romantic aspect of it as it's one of the more solid entries in that effect
    sig.gif

• oldmanbaloldmanbal Full Members
    edited May 7
    When ff9 came out for ps1 in 2000 I had just spent about 400$ on a dreamcast, games, and peripherals about a month earlier so when my parents found out I was back on my ps1 playing ff9 they literally almost killed me.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited May 19
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Definitely agree with you about how well FF9 bookended the plot with the theatre scenes.

About Nekron, I always thought of that Space Flea as the personification of Kuja's own self-destructive tendencies writ large, a sort of nihilism imprinted upon the primordial crystal to create a universal death wish.

If they'd managed to fit that into the text instead of the vague sentences of its intro monologue, it would have been more interesting.
    Agreed. They seemed to have an idea of what it was all about, but just vague dialogue to explain it. That said, I hated the fight itself more than that. I did survive the first try, though, so maybe I shouldn't complain too much.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Issue 21 will return next week, as I'm taking a vacation this week.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Issue 21 will return next week, as I'm taking a vacation this week.

Nothing wrong with a break
    sig.gif

Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • swangtalswangtal Full Members
    Dammit, everytime I flip to this column, I feel like my wait for Zodiac Age becomes even more unbearable. I played through the main story but not much else. Here's hoping they have either a new game+, or at least that my console + the game won't breakdown this time around.
    Going to delay this a week due to E3, though I did play some FF.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm