If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Mac's Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Journey

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • oldmanbaloldmanbal Full Members
    How is the economy in ffxiv these days? I put in about 8 months but haven't played in a year or more
    I've never really needed money for much of anything, but it's been easy to buy the few things I have looked for. Lots of my FC mates seem to make a healthy living, though I don't know what they are buying.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    For your primary combat class you don't really need to buy anything, you'll get any gear you need through quests and dungeons. I've never actively tried to make money but have always had a health amount to do things. Might be more of a requirement if you get heavily involved in crafting/materia mending but as far as I can tell from how much 7th seems to end up with whenever he shows up it seems pretty easy to make money.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited August 26
    For your primary combat class you don't really need to buy anything, you'll get any gear you need through quests and dungeons. I've never actively tried to make money but have always had a health amount to do things. Might be more of a requirement if you get heavily involved in crafting/materia mending but as far as I can tell from how much 7th seems to end up with whenever he shows up it seems pretty easy to make money.

Ha! I don't even rightly know how I made so much money in my recent 4.0 sub. I made a lot in 3.3 and 3.5 by selling Aquapolis drops, desynth mats and materia, and crafting mats made from seal and tome items. Much of that sold for a ton on the market due to glamour and other crafting recipes.

In 4.0, none of that was selling for much, and the canals weren't very profitable. I noticed that some Triphane and Star Spinel jewelry wasn't hammered on the market by sidequest drops, and I crafted and sold dozens of them. I also sold about a dozen weaving leve items over the course of the month. I was rolling in clusters due to "healer in need" roulette bonuses and joining hunt parties when the zones were split, and probably sold ~30 materia VI on the market. Still, that doesn't all account for me ending the 30 days with over 20 million more gil than I started with, so I must have made more on selling random stuff than I realized. I could have made a lot more selling endgame DoL gear, but by the time I was a level 70 leatherworker I felt like I'd made enough already and wanted to do other things.

That said, there's not much to do with money in the game other than spend it on frivolous things. The economy has held up well in that endgame crafted gear in 4.0 sells on the market for about the same price it always has (at least on Leviathan). Things aren't getting more expensive. The most consistent way to make money has always been with DoH and DoL jobs. A shame the Canal drops weren't Aquapolis-like, because that was a great way for others to make bank.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • oldmanbaloldmanbal Full Members
    I haven't played xiv since the flying expansion came out. Would you recommend buying the last 2 expansions and playing through?
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    oldmanbal wrote: »
    I haven't played xiv since the flying expansion came out. Would you recommend buying the last 2 expansions and playing through?

If you have Heavansward(the first expansion) there is only one more after it.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    I've been playing the same two games as last week and have had little time to write, so I'm delaying the next issue a week.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    No rush Mac, take your time and do what you gotta do
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway: on the faulty HDMI port, do you have a TV that still has a component hookup? I know at least the fat PS3s support the PS2 component cables. That's how my PS3 is hooked up; saves an HDMI port.

As to side games, is Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings worth getting? I never got that into DS games and I've wondered if that was worth picking up before it eventually gets expensive.
    I could probably make it work, and will find a way if needed. Just hoping I could get a better way to play before the year ends.

As for FFXII: RW, I really liked it, though the difficulty ramp up at the very end is a nightmare.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    This week's Journey is postponed as we have a review coming that took up my time for this, not to mention multiple doctor appointments. More next week.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    I'd says SNES version or the GBA version are your two best bets to play it.
    sig.gif

• jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Now that I have a SNES Classic, I have to pay FF VI don't I?
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    jscarpe wrote: »
    Now that I have a SNES Classic, I have to pay FF VI don't I?

You might as well, if you have it now. That is at least one of the good versions. Weird that the SNES version is starting to become easier to acquire than the GBA one.
    ClixPsi.png
  • GogarGogar New Member Full Members
    As a regular player of FFRK, one thing I've really liked about it is how fantastic of a job they do with the music remixes.
    I've been happy to see stories of people playing FFVI for the first time due to the SNES Classic. While having FFIV and CT would have been nice as well, this just feels right due to the lack of better versions of that game.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Macstorm wrote: »
    I've been happy to see stories of people playing FFVI for the first time due to the SNES Classic. While having FFIV and CT would have been nice as well, this just feels right due to the lack of better versions of that game.

Would have honestly rather seen CT over SoM, but that's probably just personal bias.
    ClixPsi.png
    Clix wrote: »
    Macstorm wrote: »

Would have honestly rather seen CT over SoM, but that's probably just personal bias.

Oh, I'd forgotten about SoM being on there. Wasn't a fan when I played it back in the day, but I'll give it another shot.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    That scene was dumb. Pretty, but dumb.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I have plenty to say about FF6 (spec. the GBA port) that I really should write out sometime...

As for FFXIII, I remember at the time thinking that it was structured a lot like a novel, with the encyclopedia entries representing sections of narrative description that would normally be read as the story went along. Unfortunately, this sort of structure and layout didn't work so well as a game.
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    Well for FF6 ANY team that can use quick + ultima can break the game hence by games end I let all party members that can use espers master every spell.

BUT the Ragnarok esper sucks so I chose the sword and Paladin Shield learned ultima that way but had all in game party members over leveled to 60+ by the time i started the final dungeon.

of all the party members that can enter the last area 3 parties of 4 each minus 2 I left out Cyan and Umaro sure I had Cyan still learn Ultima but Sword tech sucks in battles and Umaro is uncontrollable.