If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Mac's Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Journey

1235»

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I tend to use Cyan, Edgar, Sabin and Gau. Cyans Swordtechs can be quite powerful especially with Cleave that can one shot things, IO (don't remember new mobs name) gives Gau Shadow Flare which is quite Powerful. Combined with BumRush and Chain Saw can meet out a lot of dungeon
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    But swordtechs still have a charging up time ie by the time I had Cyan with Cleave useable I had the entire party with a 9999 to all Ultima spells being usable AND Quick also useable to dual cast it making all Sword techs 100% useless and vanish + doom/X zone is still better as long as your playing the PS1/SNES version else stick with learning Quick and Ultima on 12 of the games 14 party members ASAP and spam it in boss fights 2nd half.

That's the main reason I left Cyan OUT of the last dungeon I left Umaro out due to not being controllable at all as for the Io rage (its only gained) after Cleave but I didn't really need to use it since while the rage can hit for 9999 per use its still fire based so using Ultima over rages is some what better.

As for Chainsaw most of the time I triggered its death effect and since that's useless in boss fights once I had all party members that can set espers learn Ultima + Quick its the only move I used for the entire game AND both are accessible in the 2nd half as soon as you get the Falcon airship itself./spoiler]
  • omegabyteomegabyte Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    My current favorite trick is giving someone the Genji Glove and Offering relics. 8x attack fight command is pretty great.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    VeghEsther wrote: »
    But swordtechs still have a charging up time ie by the time I had Cyan with Cleave useable I had the entire party with a 9999 to all Ultima spells being usable AND Quick also useable to dual cast it making all Sword techs 100% useless and vanish + doom/X zone is still better as long as your playing the PS1/SNES version else stick with learning Quick and Ultima on 12 of the games 14 party members ASAP and spam it in boss fights 2nd half.

That's the main reason I left Cyan OUT of the last dungeon I left Umaro out due to not being controllable at all as for the Io rage (its only gained) after Cleave but I didn't really need to use it since while the rage can hit for 9999 per use its still fire based so using Ultima over rages is some what better.

As for Chainsaw most of the time I triggered its death effect and since that's useless in boss fights once I had all party members that can set espers learn Ultima + Quick its the only move I used for the entire game AND both are accessible in the 2nd half as soon as you get the Falcon airship itself./spoiler]

Yes but I far more enjoy using abilities to just spamming one spell from all characters, makes the game FAR more interesting.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

edited October 10
    However the genji glove/offering combo is just as broken as quick + 2x ultima's to single target bosses once you do 9999 per hit but I still prefer ultima due to hitting all enemies on screen so for multi enemy bosses ultima is better then 8x 9999 damage hits to random targets.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    Some people will always optimize the fun out of any game.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Remember who you're talking to. He finds the prospect of giving everyone maximum damage output in the exact same manner to be the end-all and be-all of gaming.

For me, while it was interesting to have (almost literally) a different game mechanic for every allied character, the overall game was more "let's see how much different stuff we can cram in here" rather than trying to perfect those mechanics. Gau's Rage list in particular is annoying because the player is forced to memorize which particular enemies have a chance of producing the desired effect in battle, from a list that is long, involved, and non-alphabetized.

Also, the entire Esper/Magicite subsystem could have been improved a bit. Summon Night X is my favorite version of that concept, with multiple summons plate equips, the need to activate and promote powers on those plates, and the fact that the spells are actually tied to the plates, so something like "everyone casts Ultima till it dies" can't be used as a strategy.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Crap, this week just got away from me. I could crank out something about my brief time with FFVI Advance or FFII PSP, but I'm just going to have to do that next week.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    I always thought that FFVIII was really stop and start during disk one; y'know do some combat have a character cutscene extended tutorial, but that may just be my creeping distaste for jrpg text tutorials.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    and started the process of beating my characters to buff them up. While I appreciate the creativity this game offers considering when it was originally developed, I have to be in a mood to play this and after finishing this one three other times, that mood is not hitting me right now.
    Well would you be in better mood to play, if you try it without beating yourself up?

I.e. You equip them with a weapon & shield and forget about HP or grinding stuff. (Also lose any heavy equipment, so the shield give more evasion% of course.)

Although MP can be an issue until you can afford Ethers.
    I actually started watching some speedruns of this game after last week and saw that barehanded and shield combo was pretty quick to build up.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    So in order for FF2 to be fun, you have to stop and spend some time unnaturally grinding your party until it's overpowered using a weird strategy you needed to look up online, then the rest of the game is a cakewalk? And the game gets rated based on playing it this way? I know I've heard that type of reasoning before somewhere....

Oh right!
    VeghEsther wrote: »
    However the genji glove/offering combo is just as broken as quick + 2x ultima's to single target bosses once you do 9999 per hit but I still prefer ultima due to hitting all enemies on screen so for multi enemy bosses ultima is better then 8x 9999 damage hits to random targets.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Oh no, I've been found out.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    It's been a fun journey and I appreciate that you let us share our thoughts on it with you as you went through. Honestly, with you doing this it had me picking up a number of the FF for some quick sessions here and there really made me wanna go looking at some of the entries again :D
    sig.gif

That alone makes it feel worth it for me. Thank you.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • oldmanbaloldmanbal Full Members
    "while it's not a top tier Final Fantasy for me" -MAC

How dare you sir.
    Had to leave things on a good note! It's in the upper middle, so that's good, right?
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I've enjoyed reading these Mac, it has me wanting to try some of the ones I haven't played. I've always thought I wasn't much of a FF fan, but reading your dispatches has me thinking I've been playing the wrong ones. Now to find some time to play some from the backlog.
    Curious which you've been thinking of trying now.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    jscarpe wrote: »
    I've enjoyed reading these Mac, it has me wanting to try some of the ones I haven't played. I've always thought I wasn't much of a FF fan, but reading your dispatches has me thinking I've been playing the wrong ones. Now to find some time to play some from the backlog.

Ditto with Mac. Which have you played, and which ones interest you?
    ClixPsi.png
    edited November 1
    As for FF2 its just a pathetic version of Chrono Cross at least in Crono Cross you do NOT have to attack your own party members to actually gain HP.

Which is the main reason the PSP/Playstation version of FF2 I will never actually play it due to the crappy battle system it has to get more HP/MP/Str etc at least in Crono Cross the game has no MP but all other stats are automatically gained per battle.

As for FF7 even with the cheats I still only used Knights of the round (carry armor onwards) for the res of the game with 9999 HP even Emerald/Ruby weapon won't kill you with the god mode on cheat as long as they don't actually hit for 9999 damage.
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Clix wrote: »
    jscarpe wrote: »

Ditto with Mac. Which have you played, and which ones interest you?

So personal FF history
    Played: 4, 7, 8, X, X-2, 13, 15, Tactics (I've bailed on Tactics 3 or 4 times and I can't explain that since I love SRPGs and Tactics Ogre is one of my favorites)
    Finished: X and 15

I picked up the PC version of FF 9 a while back and I'm interested in giving that a go; since 4, 7, and 8 were all varying degrees of meh for me, I had sort of written off the earlier FF games, but 9 sounds like it might be a different experience and I'm hoping the "cheats" might help if I get stuck.

I've also got FF 12 HD staring at me from the bookshelf so I need to give that a spin. I'm usually more of a story person, but the battle system in that one sounds interesting.