If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Poll - Challenge

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
What's your preferred difficulty?
Very easy
Easy
Moderate
Hard
Very Hard
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited January 23
    Very easy = less grinding/game overs = less time sunk into one game and more time to spend on the next.

I'll make an exception for games that punish the player with a bad ending for playing on very easy, or the rare games that are actually fun to play on higher difficulties (examples: pretty much everything from Zeboyd Games, and the Mario & Luigi RPGs are more enjoyable on normal difficulty or higher).
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited January 22
    Moderate, but opinions on what that is vary a lot. Basically, I want my decisions to matter enough that I can't just win by mashing the x button, but I also don't want to get frustrated by losing multiple times on the same battle. In particular, if a boss battle is difficult, it should be right after a save spot.
    A good example of how this is handled is Persona 3. The story bosses are generally reasonably easy, but some of the Tartarus bosses can be quite tricky. However, they are mostly defeated fairly quickly when things go right and the party is set up well. If you lose you can start again pretty quickly and it probably wasn't after putting a ton of time into the battle. Choices matter, but it's not like you have to make all the right choices and then you're still going to win by only a hair's breadth, if you're lucky.

Some other SMT games seem to go over the line to be harder than I like. Some bosses in SMT IV come to mind...

I can definitely tolerate some range in difficulty, but I don't want it to be so easy that there's no reason to even care when you get new skills and such and I don't want it to be hard enough that I stop playing either from frustration with a battle or with a need to grind excessively (though I'll prefer games where grinding is a feasible remedy over ones where you need to execute some maneuver with precise timing - the reason I never finished Tales of Eternia, but it was bad game anyway).
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited January 22
    Generally moderate or easy, but anything that has adjustable difficulty or The Legend of Heroes' "Weaken Enemies and Retry" option is always superior :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    Rhythm games in general are easier on Normal (medium, etc...) or sometimes hard rather than easy because undercharting on easy tends to make it tough to follow the rhythm as compared to normal.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Easy/Moderate. I usually do easy for some games to get myself used to everything in the game (usually platformers), and moderate for RPGs in general. I really only touch the higher difficulties for RPGs if they pull a Graces F and make it rewarding skill in a big way.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    Hmmm.... I guess I misinterpreted this. I thought this was about difficulty of a game relative to game difficulty in general, not a game's difficulty setting (especially since most games don't have 5 settings). Well, I still generally choose moderate, but would choose easy for games that I find too difficult otherwise.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    Time for some results, it would seem.

Moderate 828 56.67%
    Hard 383 26.21%
    Easy 109 7.46%
    Very Hard 93 6.37%
    Very easy 48 3.29%
    Total Votes 1461
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.