If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 41: Madden Warriors Xtreme Football Legends - Q&A Quest

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited February 3
    A madden musou would at least make running the ball interesting again, rather than passing it 95% of the time. I'm also not a fan of legend of dragoon for many reasons.

Q- Are there any games that you hated the character deigns of regardless of how you felt about the game itself?
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Fun fact: Japan essentially banned game rentals back in the early-mid-80s. This has led to a surprisingly robust secondhand games market that puts Gamestop to shame on almost every level.

I wish I could listen to these stories more often and at a volume to properly hear them, but alas, my best times for listening are while baby is asleep.
    Fun fact: Japan essentially banned game rentals back in the early-mid-80s. This has led to a surprisingly robust secondhand games market that puts Gamestop to shame on almost every level.

I wish I could listen to these stories more often and at a volume to properly hear them, but alas, my best times for listening are while baby is asleep.

This one guy I knew in the early 90s was very versed in gaming stuff that most weren't. He told me once that Japanese gamers would play RPGs are quick as possible to sell them, compared to Americans who liked long RPGs/or took their time. Don't know how true that was then or now.
    If you were in charge of explaining to a future generation where Sega went wrong, what would you consider their main moment or moments that led to that downfall?
    Budai wrote: »

This one guy I knew in the early 90s was very versed in gaming stuff that most weren't. He told me once that Japanese gamers would play RPGs are quick as possible to sell them, compared to Americans who liked long RPGs/or took their time. Don't know how true that was then or now.

May still run true, depending on the game and the market. When FFXIII came out, it was fun to track to the secondhand price in the stores and seeing it suddenly take a nosedive when several million people finished it and sold it back at around the same time.

Where do you think the disgaea series needs to improve upon in 6?
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Where do you think the disgaea series needs to improve upon in 6?

That is a fine quality question that should eat up a good hour of time.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    Great episode as always, inclung the tangents ;-)
    As far as my question:
    Do you think that anything could ever be a WoW killer in the mmo market? What is it that makes WoW so dominant in the mmorpg scene? Why are MMOs that diverge from the set WoW standards quickly/seemingly forgotten?
    Playing FFXIV again and playing through to endgame has really had me wondering especially hitting a point where I may be getting bored with the gear treadmill. Thanks÷
  • Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    Oh! And I think this podcast casually mentioned Legend of Dragoon as a bad game?! Do explain. I remember loving it! Or is it truly my nostalgia glasses?! (Rpgbacktrack should totally do an episode on it)
    edited February 12
    I am really fond of Vesperia as the best jrpg in the last 8 or so years. I'm also anti kingdom hearts so opinions do vary.

The problem I had with legend of dragoon was the battle system. The combos were so intense that by the time you learned one you had a new one. And some boss battles would go on for literally 30 to 45 minutes if you didn't know the new combo. So I remember defending to heal over and over. I'm sure the game was funnier for people who were good at the combos but i wasn't one.
    edited February 18
    I have a feeling bravely default way undersold expectations. While it still has a lot of value, a Walmart I just walked through had at least 10 or more copies in the bargain bin for 19.99. Dragon quest 7 was also is there at 19.99 but it was only two copies. Do you think more people bought bravely default off of word of mouth but didn't like it? Therefor skipping the sequel.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited February 19
    There was a fair amount of backlash against Bravely Default due to everything between chapters 5 and 8. It's a crying shame since Bravely Second improves on almost everything in Default except for the music.
    ...Just wanted to get my two-cents in since I can guess what the hosts will say about the series. ^^

And I kind of feel obliged to provide a question, so: what two (or more) video game series would you like to see made into a crossover RPG ala Tokyo Mirage Sessions? That is, something more interwoven and complex than "here's a bunch of characters from franchises you like. Have them fight together or each other or both."
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited February 19
    I know mike and Dave weren't big fans of bravely default, but I at least had a ton of fun hours wise with the battle system and the ability to set your own encounter rate.

On a side note, while the repitition was bad thematically, I want all that bothered by it because I just viewed it as a bunch of bosses to test my party out on. In a way I sort of liked it because you spent a lot of time building a perfect team I was happy to have a big test to put it through.
    I know mike and Dave weren't big fans of bravely default, but I at least had a ton of fun hours wise with the battle system and the ability to set your own encounter rate.

You realize how lucky you are to have that option, right? ;)

You realize how lucky you are to have that option, right? ;)

Yeah and I think that really helped during the parts where that had to be repeated. Random encounters would have made those sections a degree more tedious.