If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Tales of Berseria

ClarsteClarste EarthRPGamer Staff
edited February 11 in Latest Updates
Bandai Namco's Tales series has a lot of games, some rather better than others. Does Berseria avoid the pitfalls that some of its predecessors have fallen into?

[ Review ]

Comments

• ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited February 12
    Glad it got a lot of praise overall. Berseria really is one of the standout RPGs for me of the past few years, possibly more, with how good the battle system and story have been thus far. The only thing holding it back from me thinking the combat might be better than Graces F is that enemies don't have enough HP on the hardest current setting and even 60+ hours into it. Starting with more than 3 souls without having to get into a surprise encounter would be cool too.

Regarding the dungeons, while they aren't outstanding by any means, theres at least a lot of meat to the areas and various paths to explore that often bring up skits while exploring them. I recall a lot of negative reception to the complexity of later dungeons of Graces F which I remember thinking were excellently designed compared to the ones early on. Maybe if the actual treasure found within was more a little more rare or rewarding. I know that the whole Katz system has potential but its a little too silly and the costume chunks you get hardly feel worth the hassle given how aggressively costed some of the chests are costed later on.
  • ClarsteClarste EarthRPGamer Staff
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    Regarding the dungeons, while they aren't outstanding by any means, theres at least a lot of meat to the areas and various paths to explore that often bring up skits while exploring them. I recall a lot of negative reception to the complexity of later dungeons of Graces F which I remember thinking were excellently designed compared to the ones early on. Maybe if the actual treasure found within was more a little more rare or rewarding. I know that the whole Katz system has potential but its a little too silly and the costume chunks you get hardly feel worth the hassle given how aggressively costed some of the chests are costed later on.

Honestly I had forgotten that the dungeons in Zestiria were even worse, but these ones didn't strike me as good either. I do think part of the problem is that it's not especially exciting to open boxes when the content is random, but mostly I felt that they were rather uninspired and went on just a couple too many rooms each, which adds up over the course of the game. Not to mention the "puzzles" which generally just required you to keep hitting the most recent switch you found.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    I did like the demo, but I still have Xillia 2 and Zestiria to beat. Once I am done with those, I will get this. The demo was decent and I liked the few moments the characters had anything to say.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    A lot of fans have disliked Xilllia 1 and 2. And zesteria. I really loved both xillia games and even got clowned around here for saying xillia 2 was best rpg of the year. But zesteria was so flawed.
  • thewalkindudethewalkindude Full Members
    The dungeons so far have been kind of uninteresting, but not irritating. Which is more than I can say about Xillia 2 and Zesteria, which had 2 of the worst dungeons I've ever played (Helioborg and that water temple). But the characters are good, with the central relationships being a highlight. Tales really does a good job with crafting the party into a pseudo-family. It was what made Xillia 2 worth playing, and it's just as good here.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Xillia 2 was okay, not great but not bad. Zestiria I think was far to ambitious in some respects and that hurt other aspects of the game. This one I they scaled back a few of the ambitions of Zestiria (even though it's the same world) and it has payed off in a much better presentation as a whole.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • swangtalswangtal Full Members
    I was quite entertained with Zestiria (but I'm still at the first third by the time I took a break from it for FF15). I might ditch it half way if it turns too annoying. I plan on just overleveling and powering my way through everything. Good to hear the se/prequel is worth it. Between that, remastered ff12, and a hopefully 7, this should keep me satisfied for a very long time.
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    IMHO no since you can't back track to EVERY area hence when doing subquests that start at the end of 1 map and required to back track through 3 to 4 OR more areas just to complete those quests nearly every subquest in game is like this.

So they aren't really worth doing even on easy mode unless you need the levels/grade points and 2 the post game bonus dungeon itself isn't really worth doing even on easy mode at all either.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    Thank you for your detailed review.
    I still have Xillia in my backlog.
  • masterattmasteratt Full Members
    Tales seems to have a complicated history (with games being called different things, having 3 sets of 'mini series', some games not making it to West, etc).

Is there any harm jumping right into this?
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Nope. There are only a small number that have any direct connections and even then it's usually only to one other game. This is one of those, but my understanding from reading about it is that it's such a distant prequel (to Zestiria) that you aren't to lose anything outside of some occasional references.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    Nope. There are only a small number that have any direct connections and even then it's usually only to one other game. This is one of those, but my understanding from reading about it is that it's such a distant prequel (to Zestiria) that you aren't to lose anything outside of some occasional references.

Ehhh, I think you do lose something, though not a lot. It's entirely possible to enjoy Berseria on its own, but there's a lot of stuff in there that you'll only appreciate if you've played Zestiria.
    Eizen's character is much more meaningful if you know who he is in Zestiria, same with Zaveid. And the ending will make very little sense unless you know who Maotelus is from Zestiria. Most of the other references are really small - town origins and whatnot.
    That said, I think Berseria does more to improve Zestiria than the other way around. If you don't want to bother playing the game, try watching Tales of Zestiria the X (currently being dubbed by Funimation.) You can get the full story of Zestiria without having to sink time into the game.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Well except for the origin of the term "Lord of Calamity" and "Shepard"
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool