If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 414: "Game of the Year 2016"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 414: "Game of the Year 2016"

Anna Marie get some counseling for her two star woes. Alice and Chris make it clear they don't know how to deal with large tortoises. Kelley gets a new kitty in real life and in WoW. Also, her cat has like seven toes. It's really weird.

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Game of the Year 2016"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
Now that E3 is open to the public, will you go?

Support the Show
179811.png

Comments

• sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    I feel we did a disservice not picking Kingdom Hearts 3 for least likely to release in 2017.
    179811.png
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    sabin1001 wrote: »
    I feel we did a disservice not picking Kingdom Hearts 3 for least likely to release in 2017.

Too easy a target
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Might I propose next year calling it "Least Likely To Release In 2018 Besides Kingdom Hearts 3".
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    While I may be biased as a Kickstarter backer, I really do believe Cosmic Star Heroine will come out before 2018, based on their Kickstarter updates (and the fact that it's still February 2017 as of this writing).

The main Dragon Quest games (except maybe the MMO) have always had a mostly constant gameplay and battle system as one of their signature features - if you pick up a Dragon Quest game, you know exactly what type of gameplay you're getting. Attacking Dragon Quest for its consistent battle system seems no more logical than attacking Final Fantasy for its constantly changing battle systems (since constant change is a signature of that series).

There *are* Dragon Quest games that offer different battle systems; they're the spinoffs. "Rocket Slime" and "Masked Queen and the Tower of Swords" come to mind, as well as the Joker series, Dragon Quest Builders, and Dragon Quest Heroes.
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    Yeah, if you consider ATB for 6 games in a row of the series to be "constant change." Granted, the battle systems for each FF change more than between any DQ games, but I'd say the current degree of change is more of a recent development.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
    Yeah, if you consider ATB for 6 games in a row of the series to be "constant change." Granted, the battle systems for each FF change more than between any DQ games, but I'd say the current degree of change is more of a recent development.

Just because one aspect of the games was consistent for awhile doesn't mean there wasn't change, come on now. You had everything was a job system to materia to whatever you want to call FFVIII's systems. While something like DQ bounced between job systems and what not, it was never to the degree of Final Fantasy. As technology has allowed it they've move to experimenting with the concept of the battle system itself. I mean if you look at FFXIII, it's basically ATB with the speed set absurdly high. Heck look at the vast difference between the original three games. I honestly think had technology allowed for more varience in the early games, Square absolutely would have changed things up even more.
    sig.gif
    edited February 21
    I consider those more minor changes. Those were changes in how skills were learned/used/equipped. ATB was the core battle system. A change away from ATB was a much more major change than Jobs, Espers, Materia, or Junction/Draw. FFXIII, I'd agree with you on. And honestly CTB of FFX is basically ATB with an absolute wait mode (something like the inverse of FFXIII). On the other hand, FFXII, FFXV and the online games are dramatically different.
    I consider those more minor changes. Those were changes in how skills were learned/used/equipped. ATB was the core battle system. A change away from ATB was a much more major change than Jobs, Espers, Materia, or Junction/Draw. FFXIII, I'd agree with you on. And honestly CTB of FFX is basically ATB with an absolute wait mode (something like the inverse of FFXIII). On the other hand, FFXII, FFXV and the online games are dramatically different.

How are fundamental changes to how character level/grow/advance/gain skills minor?
    sig.gif
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    Kelley saying that it took a while to get the new job in Bravely Second puzzled me. The first two asterisks you get are the new Wizard and Charioteer jobs. Since the new asterisks are obtained during the main story and the old ones via sidequests, you get new jobs at a good pace.

Nitpick aside, I always find the GOTY podcast highly entertaing! :D
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited February 21
    Equip an esper, change a job, equip a materia, equip a GF, equip an actual piece of equipment. These are all pretty similar ways to get skills. If you don't think these differences are superficial compared to how do I attack, how do I select and use skills, can I control multiple party members and how, etc., I don't see how to persuade you otherwise.
    Equip an esper, change a job, equip a materia, equip a GF, equip an actual piece of equipment. These are all pretty similar ways to get skills. If you don't think these differences are superficial compared to how do I attack, how do I select and use skills, can I control multiple party members and how, etc., I don't see how to persuade you otherwise.

You're way oversimplifying this. Equip an esper, learn a spell, that spell is yours forever! Equip a GF, farm magic. Equip magic to abilities to strengthen character. Have reusable summon spell (that you shouldn't overuse). Complete and fundamental different ways to strengthen and level up your party.

I mean I could similarly oversimplify differences in the newer battle systems. Select an action, wait for action to happen, select next action (variance on wait between selecting actions).
    sig.gif
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    Victar wrote: »
    While I may be biased as a Kickstarter backer, I really do believe Cosmic Star Heroine will come out before 2018, based on their Kickstarter updates (and the fact that it's still February 2017 as of this writing).

I backed a Kickstarter once. It was Unsung Story. Estimated Delivery Date: July 2015.

Sigh.