If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 42: The Meaning of Octodad - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest, we delve into why Legend of Dragoon is awful. We also discuss the complexities of the MMO market.

Episode 42: The Meaning of Octodad - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Speaking of names, infinite undiscovery is a weird one.

Also, who are the three characters in the q&a logo?
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Budai wrote: »
    Speaking of names, infinite undiscovery is a weird one.

Also, who are the three characters in the q&a logo?

It's the cast of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Crystal Bearers, a woefully underrated gem of a game.
    sig.gif
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 23
    Going back to the used-games market, I find it weird how often people from the US focus on the game-flipping phenomenon. When you talk to most people (outside the absolute hardcore gamer community), they see secondhand games stores in the same light as used book stores, used comic stores, and used CD stores: as a convenient means of offloading unneeded inventory. My wife and I recently unloaded a ton of media, due to having to move apartments, and for the most part we didn't even care how much we were getting back, just that we were getting something back on things we'd otherwise have to throw out.

There's very little expectation of actually making money flipping games, though it can happen, so instead the secondhand market is more about keeping stuff in circulation for reasonable amounts of cash, and you don't see major price inflation or gouging on all but the rarest titles.

Ah... Legend of Dragon... so many cool ideas, so many ways to not do them well.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited February 23
    Oh man ... Bravely Default: For the Sequel. I want to spoil it and I don't want to spoil it ... I'll just say that there's a deeper meaning behind the subtitle than one would think. And funny thing about the original Japanese script of Bravely Second and the localized one: most of those memes in the original were not replaced with equivalent American/western ones. There's a few goofy references ("In the name of her holiness, I will punish you!"), but that's not the same. Personally, I think it's a pretty good localized script that's a few steps above the decent, but not particularly noteworthy, script of Default.

And for an entirely unrelated question: There's an unnamed Tales game slated to come out on the Nintendo Switch. What do you believe it to be? A port of Berseria? Whatever the next game in the series will be? A port of Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (I understand why it wasn't released on the Wii U, but it's sad that games that originated on Nintendo systems didn't get an HD re-release on one)? Something else entirely?
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 23
    Oh man ... Bravely Default: For the Sequel. I want to spoil it and I don't want to spoil it ... I'll just say that there's a deeper meaning behind the subtitle than one would think. And funny thing about the original Japanese script of Bravely Second and the localized one: most of those memes in the original were not replaced with equivalent American/western ones. There's a few goofy references ("In the name of her holiness, I will punish you!"), but that's not the same. Personally, I think it's a pretty good localized script that's a few steps above the decent, but not particularly noteworthy, script of Default.

And for an entirely unrelated question: There's an unnamed Tales game slated to come out on the Nintendo Switch. What do you believe it to be? A port of Berseria? Whatever the next game in the series will be? A port of Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (I understand why it wasn't released on the Wii U, but it's sad that games that originated on Nintendo systems didn't get an HD re-release on one)? Something else entirely?

Tales of Vesperia Switch, an enhanced port... of the 360 version ;)
    sig.gif
    Do you have any fond memories of the arcade? It's a shame the American arcade scene has become mostly just games like skii ball. It was an interesting time when arcade games were noticeably more powerful than our home system. I remember how amazing ninja turtles arcade looked. I'm sure Japan had some rpg games or elements in their arcades, where the capcom d&d beatem and gauntlet were as close as I can think of in American arcades.
    Is dark souls a jrpg or not?
    Rank these new games based on interest

Tide of numera
    Zelda botw
    Nier
    Horizon zero dawn
    Mass effect
    Persona 5
    edited February 28
    Y'all mentioned trying to recommend better games than vesperia and said graces f. Which I do love grace f. It's no doubt a better battle system and level up system. The setting titles for skills up in this game was almost the perfect system. But vesperia has that huge varied world map that just made me feel like the game was a ps2 game on steroids.

Am I just weird, or did world maps fall out of favor way to quick for little reason. I can see trying to make a world map that is like a field map ala dq8, but was xillias attempts to add fields worse than abyss and vesperia amazing world maps? (I love both xillia games but I just like having the epic world map from the previous games)
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Does RPG Maker FES come with a fully playable, default RPG like the Playstation RPG Maker titles did? The game was released in Japan, so someone should know the answer to this, but I couldn't find it with a Google search.

I recently acquired a PS4, so I'd love to hear anyone's recommendations for good RPGs that are either exclusive to the PS4, or look/play better on the PS4 than they do on the computer or other game systems. (I already have Dragon Quest Builders and Horizon Zero Dawn, and I'll probably get Persona 5).