If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Nintendo Has Always Been Doomed - Active Topical Banter

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
Nintendo has always done it's own thing, and for that we've always seen that less than successful. Apple Computers analogies, Swiitch predictions, and yelling at Scott ensue.

Listen
Archive
RSS
Itunes
Google
Promo offer

Defining success
Apple computer analogy
Swiitch seems ‘neat’
toolkits
What do we think they need to do better

Next: Lines and boxes

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    zelda has always been open world to me.
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited March 1
    I believe I made a similar argument in the past and someone disagreed with me based on the more recent entries into the series. Seeing as I haven't played through anything past Ocarina (except Link Between World, which was derivative of Link to the Past), I couldn't challenge that assertion. However, I definitely agree that the Zelda games I've played are open world and I don't even really understand the distinction being made about Breath of the Wild as open world. This seems to me to only be a comment on the size of the world rather than how open it is.

I also disagree about Nintendo always being doomed. Nintendo was king during NES/SNES era. The questionable decisions came after that.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Listen to the episode?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    dammit mac, don't engagee here - save it for the recording.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Zelda 1 was almost the true definition of open world since you could go anywhere pretty much from the get go. Sort of the prototype.
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Listen to the episode?
    Yes. Is there a point in particular you'd like to highlight, because I can't get your counterpoint -if you're making one - based on a vague question?
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited March 4
    Sam criticized the lack of exciting new innovations in games or properties on the Wii U. I'm not disputing that, but I think Nintendo's exciting innovation and creative indie titles have largely been on the 3DS. One example is RPG Maker FES, and what's innovative about that is being able to share created games with people *who don't have to buy the game* to play them. I don't think that's ever been done on a console or handheld before.

In the NES/SNES era, the only ones who called Nintendo "doomed" were its underdog competitors, while everyone else used "Nintendo" as an informal term for "video games", just like "Xerox" used to be an informal term for photocopy.

But I get the overall theme of the podcast, which is funny and flows nicely, and yes, I have listened to every ATB since the first one, as they came out.

EDIT: I meant the titular theme of this specific episode.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
  • Winter9Winter9 NorwayFull Members
    Aw thank you guys :) And lovely name Trent as I said. Good luck! (And sleep well, you will probably need it ;)

My first console so to speak was a Game Boy. I started handheld and it's always been the platform where I beat the most games even after getting my first Playstation. I'm mainly an rpg player with a huge affinity for the Super Nintendo era. I also just cracked the code for sticking all the way through an rpg last year. Before that I was sort of addicted to buying and playing the first hours of all before another one grabbed my attention. That means I have a huuuuuge backlog of great rpg's and I still enjoy all this retro stuff.

LAst year I bought a New 3DS mainly for Xenoblade and Earthbound (yes). I should be the perfect target for the Switch, right? But I have yet to play or buy Xenoblade. I haven't beat Ocarina of Time or Skyward Sword. And I have a Wii full of all the Virtual Console games I have bought. Around 30 titles. Now when I got my Vita the first thing I did was downloading my FF games, free of charge. I then could move on to buy a lot of PSP games and after that there's still a ton of rpg's left.

Now the Switch is out. I could buy it for another Zelda game. Handheld so that's nice, but I already have my Ocarina handheld waiting. Xenoblade will come out, but I need to play the first one. I can't just download my VC games cause there isn't VC there yet. I would love FFVI on a handheld. I have the ios version and it's okay when you get used to it. The Vita version is slooooooooooow and my game boy advance isn' in the best of shape so I need to use the micro. But they will probably make me pay for it again. And I will if they make it available. It would make the switch worth it, also Shining Force. But I feel somehow I should be able to just download my games. I bought them, why do I have to buy them many times? So I won't buy switch right now for the one title I'm interested in when the New 3DS and Vita feels new still.

• SharpshooterSharlaSharpshooterSharla MtownFull Members
    Never stop podcasting! Y'all are refreshingly sane gamers and whatever you guys talk about, I always enjoy and walk away with new perspectives on my fave genre. Much love from West TN A.K.A..... the FLAT SIDE! :smiley:
    Go TN!
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    Ack! I'm always terrible at remembering to comment on podcasts; hopefully I didn't totally miss it this time.

Two quick thoughts on the last show. First, the good and exciting thing about the Switch is that it (hopefully) allows Nintendo to finally stop splitting their development efforts between two different platforms. My hope is that now that the portable and home console is one device, Nintendo will be able to produce a consistent amount of first party content so there won't be huge multi-month blocks where nothing releases like on the WiiU. I still think they might have been better off producing separate home and portable devices that used the same underlying hardware for a cheaper individual cost, but the hybrid concept seems to be resonating with the public so what do I know.

Secondly, I think Nintendo gets a bit of an unfair rap that they are making the same games over and over. I understand the criticism, but it's always struck me as weird in an industry filled with yearly installments of Madden, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Assassins Creed that people complain that Nintendo is making another Zelda when it's been 5-6 years since the last one. I appreciate that Nintendo generally doesn't run series into the ground and that they are trying to make games other than the on-line military shooters and open world collectathons that make up so many of the releases these days.

Anyway, congrats on 3 years! Been listening since the beginning and look forward to it every month.
    Thanks for listening. You did get time to comment, as we've had a minor delay, but that's OK.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm