If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 43: Switchmas Eve - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited March 7 in Latest Updates
Twas the night before Switchmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse. Except of course for a certain host playing Destiny instead of editing this episode in a timely manner.

Episode 43: Switchmas Eve - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    I'm falling way behind in episodes. If you're wondering why I haven't had questions, it has mostly been due to sleeping since christmas. I'm starting to walk amongst the living again and will be doing an unhealthy gaming marathon where I just play games until I end up in the hospital or my girlfriend stops me. I will be listening to these while I platinum games.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited March 8
    WTF! The Turtles arcade games are not bad! I played both of them within the past year with a friend. One on an arcade machine in a bar. The cabinet was too small for that game, but it was still good. Now the first TMNT game for NES is pretty crummy, but it's actually above average for games of that era.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    The Turtles arcade game was really fun back in the day. It's a bit dated now.

I don't see how anyone could like any one of Turtles arcade, Simpsons arcade, and X-Men arcade and hate any of the others, since all three were essentially the same beat-em-up game, made by the same developer (Konami), but using different pop culture franchises.

The home version of Gauntlet Dark Legacy, released on the PS2 and other platforms, was an excellent port of the addictive arcade game. As mentioned on the podcast, Gauntlet Dark Legacy was an upgrade of Gauntlet Legends, with new playable characters and new areas/bosses to conquer.

The horrible Gauntlet game you're probably thinking of is Gauntlet Seven Sorrows, a console-only game that succeeded Dark Legacy. It was an "obvious beta", very clearly an unfinished game with little to do and tedious mechanics. Seven Sorrows was so bad it effectively killed the Gauntlet franchise for over a decade, until the new game Gauntlet Slayer Edition.

I've been playing Gauntlet Slayer Edition on the PS4 with my roommate, and it seems OK, not great. Like all Gauntlet games, it's far better as a multiplayer game than as a single player game. Except that you have to pay for online play on the PS4. Ouch. Also, the Necromancer character is an additional $5 DLC in a game that already costs $20. Ouch again.

Which brings me to a question for the podcast: what do you think of the modern "pay us extra money for more playable characters" paradigm in games that are NOT free-to-play, and is there any way to stop it from spreading?

I still feel inner rage over Tekken X Street Fighter, a full-priced fighting game (at release), which charged an extra $20 for 12 additional playable characters.
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    I like all three of those arcade games (four, actually, because there were two turtles arcade games), but I can see liking some and not liking others. First, there's not a huge amount of depth to them, so if you don't care for one of the IPs, it will probably be less fun. Secondly, even though they share similar basic mechanics there are some differences. For example, the mutant powers in the X-Men arcade game are some pretty awesome devastating attacks, but as I best recall, once you use them up you're pretty much as good as dead, because their regular fighting ability leaves something to be desired. Granted, all those games are designed to kill you pretty quickly to get you to cough up as many quarters as possible, but the Turtles definitely can get by a lot better on their basic maneuvers. It still seems like a stretch to like one and outright hate any of the others, but it definitely makes sense to prefer some over the others.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    To further add to the subject of maps, breath of the wild's open world is the best I've ever played. It's even better than the witcher 3. Part of what makes it good is the amount of stuff going on. Yet I don't feel like I need to look at every event like a checklist, ala skyrim. They've somehow managed to make an interesting map full of stuff that I as the player can feel comfortable moving through in an organic way. What are your impressions of Zelda so far?
    Nintendo, in my opinion, are masters of game design philosophy. Despite time passing and people moving on, how has Nintendo managed to keep game design its forte? they have developed a certain culture and have maintained it. Are there any particular design philosophies they have done over the years you find really interesting?
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Victar wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone could like any one of Turtles arcade, Simpsons arcade, and X-Men arcade and hate any of the others, since all three were essentially the same beat-em-up game, made by the same developer (Konami), but using different pop culture franchises.

They're all kind of bad, but what they do right is throwing out random things from their franchise at a good clip. Turtles in Time does this especially well with a mix of OMG ALTERNATE HISTORICAL VERSIONS OF CHARACTERS. I mean they were all perfectly fine for the time, but Guardian Heroes can make most brawlers look like gutter trash so...

Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    Do you feel that being able to save anywhere cheapens the need to resource manage? Particularly in titles that used it as a tactic, like dragon quest series? Or is the modern mechanic worth it.