If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Deep Look - Earthlock: Festival of Magic

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
Snowcastle Games draws fully on PS1-era nostalgia for Earthlock: Festival of Magic. The game aptly demonstrates some of what made those games well liked, as well as why other aspects have moved on.

[ Deep Look ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• duomaxwell007duomaxwell007 Member Full Members
    so basically the game is "just as good as any RPG that was on PS1.... its just "bad" because it hasnt adopted modern RPG standards of "holding your hand" and "being watered down so its not TOO hard for you"? Not all of use need casual games some of us like our games difficult thus if thats the only thing "wrong" with it it sounds like a must buy to me
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    You are welcome to it.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    so basically the game is "just as good as any RPG that was on PS1.... its just "bad" because it hasnt adopted modern RPG standards of "holding your hand" and "being watered down so its not TOO hard for you"? Not all of use need casual games some of us like our games difficult thus if thats the only thing "wrong" with it it sounds like a must buy to me

Hi, big fan of hard games here.

Call a game unbalanced is not equivalent to calling it too hard. Rather, it means it goes from being a pushover, to impossible and varying degrees in-between with no consistency. I balanced, challenging game for example, maintains the high difficulty throughout keeping you on your toes. I think you are misunderstanding Alex's complaints.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Eh, people who do like the challenging stuff will probably like the difficulty spikes much more than I did. The thing about not having options is you are risking turning off certain types of player if balance one way or the other. Outside of the difficulty spikes the rest of the game just isn't interesting, so it didn't have anything that would mitigate my annoyance with them, so the balance plays bigger factor here with me than they might in other games.

Anyway, I was clearly able to signify that it was something he might enjoy even though I didn't like it myself, so as far I'm concerned I've been given a complement about my reviewing ability, despite that fact he clearly was not trying to :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)