If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer Poll: Game Boy Player

FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon IIFull Members
edited July 2003 in Latest Updates
Yes, it's another new poll. I actually had quite a few ideas this month, but no time to actually create a poll. Oh well.

This "week" is about the Game Boy Player, since we've seen so much talk about it. Are you going to get one? Why, or why not?

As for me... I was all gung ho to run out and buy one, but that was when it was announced for $35. Now that's it's coming out at $50... I'm just not sure I need it at this time.
Founder, RPGamer
I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

Comments

• Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I was thinking about picking one up with a GameCube, but now, I dunno. $50 is a lot to pay for a glorified Super Game Boy. I think I'll wait for the inevitable price drop.
  • slapizaga_the_banditslapizaga_the_bandit Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    You should have these polls more frequently...
  • ArdoArdo Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I haven't paid for one myself, but my bro has. I personally wouldn't buy one because I already have a GBA and that's fine with me. I'd rather get a game for $50.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cactuar Joe @ June 24 2003,13:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I was thinking about picking one up with a GameCube, but now, I dunno. $50 is a lot to pay for a glorified Super Game Boy. I think I'll wait for the inevitable price drop.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'd hardly call it a glorified Super Game Boy, since it does pretty much everything the SGB did (aside from plugging into an SNES, of course) in addition to playing a hell of a lot more games. Not to mention having better graphic modes for games that support the option, like FFTA.

At any rate, I personally can't wait to get an extra $50 to pick this up. As I rarely (if ever) use my GBA outside the house, playing those games on a TV will be a welcome change.
  • HummingwayHummingway Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I've already got one, and I love it. ?I simply won't buy handheld systems because I hate running out of batteries and because I usually can't see anything on their tiny, ill-lit screens. ?As such, this is my first chance to to play all of the new Castlevanias, Metroid: Fusion, Golden Sun, etc. ?Further, I am now playing a lot of my favorite old SNES games. ?(Zelda:LttP, anyone?) ? And best of all, I can actually see the games on my TV! ?Maybe I'm just an old fart, nostalgic for SNES memories, but it has been very well worth the $50 I spent.
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I saw a commercial on Tv saying that this comes with the gamecubes now...but i still dont know if i want to buy a gamecube I might just stick with the old PS2 smile.gif
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I'll be getting it soon in the near future. ?I am just worried about how the games will look like on my 27" screen TV.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I'm with LordBrian on this one. Pay day is Friday, and I'll be picking up a Game Boy Player and a copy of Aria of Sorrow as soon as I can get to the store.
  • VargasVargas Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    You know, you can link this thing up to the GBA-SP or to another GC-GBP with an appropriate cable. Personally, I can't wait to take advantage of the "GBP free with purchase of GC" deal. I just wish that I lived closer to urban centres, for that end.
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I'll be getting one as soon as I get the spare cash to afford it. I have the original version of the gba, and it's always been hard for me to really enjoy a lot of games because of the lack of a backlight. Also being able to play it on the big screen is a big plus. When I get one I'll finally be able to play Circle of the Moon without going insane smile.gif
  • KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I picked up a GBASP a month ago and absolutely love it. A GBA Player would be nice if I both had the money, and my GC wouldn't be broken. However, I will get one eventually, and the GBA Player will be used to play my GBA games at home, while the SP will go with me everywhere else.
  • Shooter_McGunSmackShooter_McGunSmack Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Gamespy gave the gameboy player a good review and said that it was a steal at $50. I'm most likey going to wait for a little bit before i get it. Though it would be fun to play GBA games on a huge TV tounge.gif
  • agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    For me, buying a GBA Player is just like buying an SNES for the first time. Finally, I can play all those GBA games on my TV just like SNES games.

To think I was worried I'd never see many RPGs on my gamecube wink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2003
    I'd get a GBP if I had a GC. But I don't have a GC, and I won't be buying one until around the time Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles comes out. I have a GBA SP, and I'd rather stick with this piece of art then go out and spend $150+ just on a gamecube and maybe a game or two.
  • pneuma08pneuma08 Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    GBA SP - $100
    GBP - $50

I'll take the GBP, please biggrin.gif

I usually play games at home, and so far not having a backlight hasn't bothered me to the $100 point.
  • yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ June 29 2003,19:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'll be getting it soon in the near future. ?I am just worried about how the games will look like on my 27" screen TV.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Imagine my worry...

I play all of my games on a 52 inch TV.

Grandia XTreme was quite the experience on that one...
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Was it... xplosive?
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    More like xcruciating... lol (well compared to other Grandias)

Back to the topic, once I scrape together $50, I'm gonna get it.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Honestly this is a must have for any GC owner. I've been a bit annoyed by the fact that I can't use my Super Gameboy on color games. Also "Circle of the Moon"'s darkness is driving me crazy.(Since I have a plain old GBA from launch the SP is a waste of cash!) Now when I scrape up the money for a GC this is one of the first things I'm gonna buy....
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • SpideySpidey Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    I'll wait til it's cheap or buy one used.
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    I got me one. Well worth the cash. tounge.gif
  • VeritasVeritas Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Give me a bundle with a game, a player, and a nifty coloured little box. I mean gamecube. Then I'll be happy. Ah, hell... who am I kidding. I'm gonna buy the cube and the player for FFTA alone. God... I'm so sad. People like me shouldn't be allowed to have money.