If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 419: "The Star Trek V of Mass Effect"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 419: "The Star Trek V of Mass Effect"

Digimon has a new case. Nintendo has a new Limited Edition. Radiant Historia has a new remake. World of Warcraft has a new patch. You know what isn't new? My Joy-Con. I think I'll mail it back to Nintendo.

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "The Star Trek V of Mass Effect"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
Have you ever had to send in a system for repair? What home remedies did you try?

Support the Show
179811.png

Comments

• Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited March 25
    Nope. I've been pretty lucky in that I've never had a console completely break down on me. Closest was troubles with PSX later in its life. I, of course, used the common home remedy of tilting it at increasingly high angles. That worked for most purposes except for an FMV in FFVII at which the game froze until we got a PS2 and played it on that. Fortunately, I, my brother, and my sister had all completed the game at least once before that freezing problem occurred. I'm not generally an early adopter of new consoles though, so that may be part of the reason I don't have those problems.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited March 26
    I sent in two different 3DS models: an original because of random bouts of narcolepsy and a XL for a destroyed hinge. My current New 3DS model will be getting replaced once my tax return comes in due to heavy loss of paint.

I had a Wii U that was getting stuck in updating mode recently, but that seemed to fix itself when I caught a "system update" that didn't actually exist. Forcing a manual check cleared it.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited March 27
    I've sent in three Nintendo systems to customer service, two of them Gamecubes. My first Gamecube stopped being able to read discs, and it was still under warranty. The second GC started acting strange about three months later, when it would play games for about a half hour or so before saying it could no longer read the disc. This coincidentally happened after I triggered a glitch in Super Mario Sunshine and for years I was convinced the game somehow corrupted my GC. Anyway, they repaired/replaced this one and it never gave me problems.

I had a Wii that my sister's ex-boyfriend knocked down by accident. This caused the Wii to stop working after about an hour (though it would play Gamecube discs fine). Even though it wasn't under warranty, Nintendo fixed/replaced it for free (I never told them it was dropped).

The only home remedy I did was with my 3DS. The circle pad had come off, so I ordered some extras and glued one on.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Xbox 360 got the red ring of death. It was fairly painless process because this was after Microsoft earmarked all the money towards the problem. I heard it was much worse before they admitted how bad it was. The 360 I got back was a newer model with hdmi, which the original didn't have.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    My Xbox 360 ate some discs, when I tried to get my copy Lost Odyssey replaced (along with the 360 repaired) they told me to contact the game's publisher (it was published by Microsoft) and could only replace it with viva pinata (or something along those lines) or "the racing game". Thankfully I eventually talked to someone who set up the replacement, but man, the 360 was a nightmare.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    It also probably helps that I've never looked twice at any Xbox.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
    It also probably helps that I've never looked twice at any Xbox.

I mean it was really just the 360 that was a steaming pile of poop, original Xbox worked fine and the massive original XBone design seemed specifically designed to prevent similar hardware issues.
    sig.gif
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited March 27
    Huh, this question of the week and the answers within have made me realize that I've been a little on the unfortunate side. I've had a several systems with problems over the years yet I've only sent them in for "repairs" once.

To answer the question, I sent my Xbox 360 in to be repaired due to the red ring of death. I bought the system on launch and I was in the very large free repair window so they fixed it. However, it actually later got the red ring again, right around the time of playing Vesperia which at the time I was totally in love with. Can't remember if I was going to have to pay this time to get it fixed, or if I just didn't want to wait and risk having the system go bad again, so I just purchased a new one which has served me well to this day.

The whole 360 in general is funny to me. Most of my friends who play games has or had a 360, and literally all of those have had the red ring at least once. Yet for some reason they all swore by the 360, they never considered giving the PS3 a shot even after being burned. Crazy how the mentality of "my circle of friends has it so must I" strategy appeared to work in Microsoft's favor in spite of how many people suffered problems with the system at some point in their life.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Had to do it twice with the Xbox 360 for the RROD.

Also has to do it with my PSP after I managed to crack the screen a couple of days after getting it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    The whole 360 in general is funny to me. Most of my friends who play games has or had a 360, and literally all of those have had the red ring at least once. Yet for some reason they all swore by the 360, they never considered giving the PS3 a shot even after being burned. Crazy how the mentality of "my circle of friends has it so must I" strategy appeared to work in Microsoft's favor in spite of how many people suffered problems with the system at some point in their life.

Despite the hardware issues, 360 had the best online system, aided by bundling a headset with the system, and had pretty much all the most popular online games of the time. The controller was better (for many things) than the PS3's, etc. etc. They really did many things right with the system right off the bat that weren't even available for some time after the 360's launch. The hardware issues, especially with the PS3's absurd initial price, hardly seemed to deter people. Imagine what could have been if that box was more solid.
    Had to do it twice with the Xbox 360 for the RROD.

Also has to do it with my PSP after I managed to crack the screen a couple of days after getting it.

I managed to drop my PSP Go on a hardwood floor, requiring a repair. Thankfully Sony's service was quite fantastic. Of course, I'm pretty sure all they did was send me a replacement unit.

sig.gif
    Wheels wrote: »
    Despite the hardware issues, 360 had the best online system, aided by bundling a headset with the system, and had pretty much all the most popular online games of the time. The controller was better (for many things) than the PS3's, etc. etc. They really did many things right with the system right off the bat that weren't even available for some time after the 360's launch. The hardware issues, especially with the PS3's absurd initial price, hardly seemed to deter people. Imagine what could have been if that box was more solid.

You're right that the 360 had a lot of things it succeeded at, particularly when the PS3 dropped the ball with its initial pricing. I'm just more surprised that the people I knew stuck with the 360 during the hard times they suffered with the system. After my two red rings, countless stories of other's red rings, and the hassle it took me to unsubscribe from paying for Microsoft's online payment, I pretty much decided I was done with the system and any future iterations. Perhaps the issues with the system contributed in part to the PS4's success today, but I would have expected more people I personally knew to jump ship earlier.

Wheels wrote: »

You're right that the 360 had a lot of things it succeeded at, particularly when the PS3 dropped the ball with its initial pricing. I'm just more surprised that the people I knew stuck with the 360 during the hard times they suffered with the system. After my two red rings, countless stories of other's red rings, and the hassle it took me to unsubscribe from paying for Microsoft's online payment, I pretty much decided I was done with the system and any future iterations. Perhaps the issues with the system contributed in part to the PS4's success today, but I would have expected more people I personally knew to jump ship earlier.

Halo 2/3/Reach/4 was a powerful drug
    sig.gif
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited March 27
    I got a RRoD with my 360 shortly after purchase and it was fixed for free. Around the time Mass Effect 3 came out, the disc tray stopped ejecting on its own. I keep a paper clip by the system to eject games manually. I haven't used it much since anyway, so it's a minor thing.

The hinges broke on my DS Lite after years of heavy use, and I bought another. My dad's cat broke the sensor bar on my Wii and I replaced it with an off-brand cordless one that cats can't destroy. My PS2 fat stopped ejecting discs and I ended up fixing it on my own with a butter knife. It was later stolen and I got a slim. My PS2 slim doesn't read discs anymore unless I stack books on top of it and tip-toe around while it's on, but it still works. I have my childhood Atari and at some point in 20+ years of disuse it stopped working.

To look at it from the opposite side, the only systems I haven't had break on their own are Nintendo consoles. It took a plethora of foreign objects to get my NES to work by the end, but it was still working 15 years into its life when my brother decided to take a screwdriver to it and broke it. SNES, N64, Gamecube, and Wii all still work as far as I know.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    7thCircle wrote: »
    My PS2 slim doesn't read discs anymore unless I stack books on top of it and tip-toe around while it's on, but it still works.

Im sorry that this happened to you, but man thats hilarious. How do you even find a solution like this? How do you figure out that treading lightly when walking around will prevent it from critical failure? I can imagine you getting up to grab a drink while playing and have to inch your way by like the kids on the cover of the "Don't Wake Daddy" board game to prevent the system from turning off.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited March 28
    That's an accurate visual!

When it stopped reading discs I noticed there was some give when I pressed down on the lid, and it would work as long as I pressed it. It took maybe 10 pounds of books stacked on top for it to play a game. My living room is too wide for corded gaming, and the PS2 slim + book tower sits on my coffee table while it's in use. More than once, the vibrations from when I got up for a refill or restroom trip shook the stack enough to cause a disc read error and crash. So now when I use it, I move veeeeeery softly around the living room!
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    Something like this might be in order. pressure across the disc drive and minimizing shocks to the machine itself.
    20131216_122910.jpg
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    I'm knocking on wood writing this, but I've never had a console die. My cat has knocked a few portable systems off tables (probably to see the look of terror on my face), but the only damage has been a sticky door on a PSP and some missing paint. Now that I've thought about it, I will be waiting for bad luck to catch up with me :neutral:
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    My former roommate had to send his Xbox 360 in for repair twice. I had to send my original model PS3 in for repairs once, a long time ago; it's worked like a charm ever since.

I've outlived the following devices: one original PSX (it started freezing on any game with long cutscenes), two PS2s (the game Everquest Online Adventures was EXTREMELY hard on PS2 consoles), one original Xbox (my cat sneezed on it after eating), one original DS (the battery would no longer hold a charge, among other issues), and one PSP that was designed to connect to HDTVs (the screen display turned unreadably blurry).

I gave away all of the above, or sold them on eBay in "For Parts/Not Working" condition. The Xbox is the only one I didn't replace, because it didn't have enough RPGs to justify buying a replacement.
  • EridianEridian Grand RapidsFull Members
    Yep, my boyfriend's PS3 stopped reading discs. At first, we sent in his PS3 and it cost like $150 to get it fixed. A year or so later, this one also had the same problem. So, I looked around online found a fix for much cheaper. I bought a laser reader off ebay for the PS3 for like $30. I had to buy a set of security screw driver heads to open up the PS3 and I replaced it and put it back together and then it worked great. Haven't had issues with it after that.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    7thCircle wrote: »
    My PS2 slim doesn't read discs anymore unless I stack books on top of it and tip-toe around while it's on, but it still works.

Im sorry that this happened to you, but man thats hilarious. How do you even find a solution like this? How do you figure out that treading lightly when walking around will prevent it from critical failure? I can imagine you getting up to grab a drink while playing and have to inch your way by like the kids on the cover of the "Don't Wake Daddy" board game to prevent the system from turning off.

So for those of you with PS2 Slim issues, there's actually a very easy fix. There are youtube videos covering this. The 'sensor' inside isn't' reading the lid as completely shut...hence the disc doesn't spin/read. A little masking tape on the sense usually squares it away :)
    Eridian wrote: »
    Yep, my boyfriend's PS3 stopped reading discs. At first, we sent in his PS3 and it cost like $150 to get it fixed. A year or so later, this one also had the same problem. So, I looked around online found a fix for much cheaper. I bought a laser reader off ebay for the PS3 for like $30. I had to buy a set of security screw driver heads to open up the PS3 and I replaced it and put it back together and then it worked great. Haven't had issues with it after that.

I finally gave up on my Backwards compatible PS3 phat and bought one of the newer models (good thing I held onto my PS2). Mine just shut off and never turned back on. It was most likely power supply issues. DO you know how long it takes to re-download and install 3 dozen or so PSN games? Days. That's how long...days. It doesn't matter how fast your internet connection is, because PSN is slower than a snail. And once they are D/L'd, games can take forever to install.