If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 420: "Not that kind of Ottoman!"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited April 2 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 420: "Not that kind of Ottomon!"

This is the end of an era. No longer will we be able to look forward to episode 420. You could say our ambitions have gone "up in smoke." But it would be more positive to point out that this just gives us a reason to look forward to RPGCast's eventual HD reboot where we have free swimsuit DLC for everyone.

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Not that kind of Ottomon!"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
Are you playing Persona 5? If not, WHY NOT?!

Support the Show
179811.png

Comments

• WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    giphy.gif
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    Am I playing Persona 5? No, because it's not out yet. Why isn't out yet?! When's Tuesday coming?! Help!!! Of course I'm going to play Persona 5! This has been my most anticipated game since 8 years ago when I finished Persona 4. Especially for the last 4 years or so when they started announcing or at least pseudo-announcing the game.

I can't disagree that there are some annoying evidence presenting moments in the third Phoenix Wright (or any of the Ace Attorney games -sorry, but just because the later games have hand holding moments doesn't mean they've completely eradicated moments where multiple pieces of evidence at multiple statements could potentially convey the same idea), but in terms of story the third Phoenix Wright game is the best of the series, so I can't stand to see it disparaged without a mention of that. Godot is the best prosecutor of the series, by which I mean he has the most hilarious courtroom scenes, and the final trial brings so many things together so well. None of the three games that followed can compare in quality (I still enjoyed them quite a bit though).

The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I'm not playing Persona 5 because my roommate is going to play Persona 5 while I watch.

I couldn't get into Persona 3 and 4 because I'd start trying to max out all the social links in a single playthrough, and that would require playing step-by-step glued to a FAQ.

Meanwhile, my roommate avoided FAQs while playing P3 and P4, didn't reload if he failed an in-game quiz or something, and just pursued the social links he liked most.

I think my roommate had the better approach to enjoying Persona 3 and 4, and he'll probably enjoy P5 more than I would too.

Also, two games that I Kickstarted are coming out in April (Cosmic Star Heroine and Shiness), and I need to do more stuff in World of Warcraft to unlock flying in the Broken Isles, so my RPG plate is pretty full for the month.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I can neither confirm or deny that I spent about twelve hours playing Persona 5 on April 1-2.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited April 2
    Like Golbez, of course I'd be playing Persona 5, if I was one of those lucky people who seem to increase every year that breaks the street date on products. Its hard to believe its finally going to come out. I've been listening to some of the soundtrack in anticipation. Also I know how you feel about the social link maxing Victar, its just something I feel is extremely important to seeing everything that the game has to offer. Its tough to justify going back and playing a something thats upwards of 80 hours a second time just to see what you missed too. Although youtube exists its just not something I like to use with premier experiences like P5 ought to be.

Regarding Phoenix Wright, I too used to subscribe to feeling the 3rd game was the best in the series. However after playing the fan-translation of Gyakuten Kenji 2 (Investigations 2), that game became my favorite in with regards to the plot and leading the series down a path where all the cases have connections with one another as opposed to separate "episodes" that the series had been using. The mixture of new and old characters is really full of life too, in my opinion.
    edited April 2
    While I've played all the Ace Attorney games that have come stateside, I haven't played Investigations 2 and, sadly, probably never will. I've simply never gotten into importing games. I've never done it and have no real inclination to do so, even though it means missing out on some great games. I did enjoy the first Investigations game, but not quite as much as the other Ace Attorney games. I trust your opinion though, since you seem to share mine on the best one among those that I've played.

Although, I'd like to ask your preference on one thing as it seems the prevailing opinion is so starkly different from my own. Turnabout Reclaimed or Turnabout Time Traveler?
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited April 2
    Although, I'd like to ask your preference on one thing as it seems the prevailing opinion is so starkly different from my own. Turnabout Reclaimed or Turnabout Time Traveler?

Unfortunately I haven't played either of the Phoenix Wright DLC cases. What a turnabout, huh? My SD card can't fit much of anything after getting Spirit of Justice, and I can't really point to a reason why I never tried the Dual Destinies one other than pure obliviousness. If you're bringing them up they're probably pretty decent, so maybe one day when I have good reason to buy another SD card I'll have to give them a shot.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    My nearby gamestop let me know they are doing an early release (not midnight) for P5 so I can literally pick up on the way home. It's happening at 1000 and I'll be right by the store near that time.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    Well, I felt that Turnabout Time Traveler somewhat redeemed the unfortunate lack of Maya in the main game after such a long absence. If you also felt like Maya kind of got short shrift and almost felt a bit like an afterthought in the main game or miss some old characters in general, you should probably check it out. Turnabout Reclaimed is also pretty fun, but I tend to think it's a bit overrated by comparison. It's worth the asking price though.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Have all you Phoenix Wright fans played Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright? I ended up enjoying that game way more than I thought I would, because it lets the player spam hint coins if stuck on a frustrating trial.

I feel a little sad that game sold much less than the developers hoped it would. I'm pretty sure it came nowhere near the 5 million sales they wanted.
    I quite enjoyed that game. I never played any of the Professor Layton series though and I'm not sure how much I would enjoy a pure Professor Layton game.
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    I think there are going to be some seriously disappointed people with Valkyria Revolution. When the release date was announced last week, several sites (including the official Playstation blog) talked about it being a strategy RPG. Any low-information consumer who buys it based on the name will be sorely disappointed. Of course, I'm a fool and pre-ordered it because it was only $40. Am I bad for assuming Sega sees this game as a turd with the budget pricing? Generally I'm in favor of seeing lots of different price points for games, but it seems weird for game that wasn't designed for Vita and upscaled to PS4 to be priced at $40. Maybe after the game bombed in Japan and the generally poor reception of it not being a SRPG Sega thought they had to price it at $40 to sell it even to Valkyria diehards? If so, apparently it worked in my case.

QOTW: Of course I'm going to be playing Persona 5, it's one of those rare games I've had pre-ordered since the special edition was announced. The only problem I have is I bought it from Amazon so I'm waiting till the UPS man drops it off around 6pm on Tuesday. The anticipation is killing me.
    edited April 5
    I'm playing P5 now. It took me 6 hours, 10 minutes before I had any free time. I love this game, but seriously, they should have given you some choices on what to do a little earlier. Could hurt replay value a bit, although I'm sure to play again to go for max confidants.