If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Story of Seasons: A Trio of Towns

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
Story of Seasons is back for a new harvest, now with more chop, chop, dig, dig action. What really matters is that you can marry a cowboy and have all the chickens. ALL THE CHICKENS.

Review

Comments

• OcelotOcelot is not declawed Full Members
    Huh, interesting! For me personally, the townsfolk in ToT are my favourite bunch in a long time. I guess I feel like overall they're a bit more realistic, and you get to know their individual quirks slowly over time. Tsuyukusa (the third, Asian-style town) is definitely lacking a bit in vibrant personality types compared to the first two towns, but has some standouts like Morita the jackass businessman and adorable, perky Komari who is secretly mortified by her overbearing father. I also feel like the kids (the town kids, not your own... I'm not even married yet) in this game are far more interesting and complex than the series' usual kiddo characters.

For the first time in a while, I find myself warming up to certain non-marriagable townsfolk and really wanting to up their affection with me so I can get to know them better. I love the restaurant-running couple and the ham radio guy in Westown, the fishing family in Lulukoko, and the resident deity in Tsuyukusa. I like that my character has a family (even if protag dad is like the worst dad ever) and Uncle Frank is a dear. The friendship between Iluka/Siluka and Ludus is delightfully nuanced, since they all love each other dearly but Ludus kinda resents how the girls seem to take him for granted.

I definitely agree that the little things are the best part of this game. The details they put in are fantastic, like how the three towns start out seeming like separate islands, but over time you start to see people visiting other towns and building up friendships there. Or how Wayne sweeps the post office porch in spring/summer/fall but shovels the walk in winter. How your kitty cat will nap on the barn roof after herding your farm animals and if you install a pet playground, the pets actually use it.

I dunno, for some reason I'm getting into this installment more than I've gotten into a mainline HMSoS in a while. I guess the more subtle, detail-oriented approach and focus on socialization really does it for me.
    Becky Cunningham, Happy Snappy RPGamer Alum
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    You make some wonderfully valid points! I think for me part of my problem is (and this likely translated into the review) that I am a bit burned out by these games. I think there's always a small part of me hoping for a bit more or to move in a slightly different direction, just to see if it works. I'm not sure if I got enough of the scenes with the towns people? I know I got a lot for Ford, Yuzuki and Wayne, and I liked what I saw. I do think like you said, it was interesting that they gave the protagonist an actual family (have you gotten to when your sibling visits? It's pretty cute). All the subtle stuff in ToT is really special, and those touches are easily the best part. Also Morita IS a jerk.

I think for me when the quests started to get too samey it was when I was starting to feel the burn out. I got too many days in a row "Item Courier" and it would be easily ten of those requests, nothing else, and then the next day be the SAME THING. Part of me just wanted to shake the game and yell "WAYBE IS THE POSTIE, DAMMIT. NOT ME." :P

Also I totally married Wayne. I saw adorable cowboy postie and I knew I had to make him mine. I actually LOVED all of his little plot points and his romance is the most darling thing ever.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed Full Members
    Yeah, the part-time jobs could definitely use more variety. I'll usually check the job-giver to see if there's anything interesting (like Medical Test Subject) and just exit out if nothing catches my eye.

I've had Lynn visit twice, and she's adorable!

I thought I was going to be a Ludus girl before I played, but Wayne is currently winning my heart. I love that he's not clueless about romance, and we have similar taste in books! I don't normally go for cowboys, but he's missing the icky machismo part of the equation, so yay.
    Becky Cunningham, Happy Snappy RPGamer Alum
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance