If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 421: "Mementos: The Freshmaker"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 421: "Mementos: The Freshmaker"

Would rather hang out with an advice-giving cats or a species of hivemind hominids? Would you rather play Dragon Quest XI on PS4 or 3DS? Would you rather play FFXIV for free or go out looking for NES Classics? Would you rather watch the Disney Afternoon or TGIF? We ask the hard questions this week.

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Mementos: The Freshmaker"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
Breath of Fire recommendations?

Support the Show
179811.png

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited April 17
    Breah of fire 2's translation was so bad that 14 year old me noticed something was wrong with it. That was the first time I had given thought to the idea of bad translation, and it was the game that did it. Ive never been nostalgic over part 2 probably for that reason. 3 and 4 are so top notch though.

But yes the new fan translation mentioned, maybe someday I'll give it a try.
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited April 17
    I was going to say about making the tools you can do that after the calling card, because at first it sounded like you didn't know that, but then you mentioned it. Anyway, I've definitely gone and hunted down the remaining locked treasures in the palace after giving the calling card. It likely means you have to face some encounters before the boss, but no big deal, especially since most of the bosses are pretty easy (these are not bosses that are going to require you to give everything you've got) and some palaces seem to have that issue regardless.

The dungeoning isn't all like you say. I've gotten through palace(s) in one day (aside from the calling card/steal treasure parts, obviously) with weeks to spare, so it's not always such a limited amount of time. Still there does seem to generally be less free time than in P3/P4.

Breath of Fire 2 is worth playing, but Breath of Fire 3 is the best BoF game hands down. There are several reasons for this.
    1. Best story. None of the BoF games are pinnacles of storytelling, but they really built on the concept from the first game in a more believable way and made it into a whole philosophical issue regarding freedom.
    2. Best dragons. This one isn't even close. BoF1 had decent transformations, but still the mostly followed a pretty predictable mold and pretty much amounted to just attack with the dragon attack. BoF2 took away everything unique about that and turned the dragons into summons. Oh and they take all your MP without growing more powerful for it, so gaining MP for the hero is actually a bad thing in this game. BoF4 seemed to continue the BoF2 idea of turning the dragon transformations into summons. Ryu does actually transform, but it looks the same regardless of what dragon form he's using except during certain attacks.....lame. BoF3 has a great variety of dragons, with multiple abilities to choose from.
    3. Best gameplay? Probably, although BoF4 is largely the same (aside from the significant worse dragons part), and has some interesting additions so this may go to BoF4.

Anyway, BoF3 is marred by obnoxious mandatory mini-games and way too much of the game devoted to circumventing stupid roadblocks over plot progression, but that's kind of a staple of the series.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited April 21
    Persona 5 real-world Morgana is the most adorable mascot character of all time.

P5 is one of very few JRPGs that actually has me empathizing with the mascot character, instead of barely tolerating or outright hating the mascot. Grandia 2's Skye was another example of a mascot character done well; he wasn't playable though.

Also, what are these translation problems in P5 that you guys mentioned? The English translation seems pretty smooth to me, which is impressive for a game with this much text.

QOTW: I've only played Breath of Fire 1 & 2, and both of those are old-school RPGs. My recommendation is, if you want to play them, then don't play the original SNES versions; play the Game Boy Advance remakes, which I believe drastically increased experience and gold gain. This in turn minimized the amount of required grinding, making both old school games much more player-friendly.