If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 176: As Seen on TV

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
Long-running manga and anime often involve characters seeking to get stronger, so turning them into RPGs isn't a completely inexplicable move. The results don't always justify the effort that went into their creation, at least not in the case of most the fodder for this episode.
Oldies but usually not so goodies.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    The no face people are back in persona 5.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    lol. Yes, yes they are.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • MathiueMathiue New Member Full Members
    Hey guys I thought we had a Growlanser episode coming up. Favorite series besides Devil Survivor and Atelier. Anyways, just wanted to thank Phil and Mike for this labor of love. Ive been listening for many years and appreciate all the work you guys do.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Hey, thanks! Mike does the scheduling...so he can talk about Growlanser. I'm glad you enjoyed the show! Thanks for letting us know!! :)
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    Yeah, Growlanser. Scheduling that one has proved to be quite a challenge. It's still on the list though, and it WILL happen, though I don't yet have a date.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited May 9
    I played Inu-Yasha: Secret of the Cursed Mask on the PS2, and it might qualify as "mediocre" if not for the slow-paced combat, tedious load times, and the inability to evade or reduce the endless random encounters. The game encourages the player to replay it in order to befriend different characters of the Inu-Yasha cast and... nope. One playthrough of Secret of the Cursed Mask was enough for me forever.

The "Naruto: Path of the Ninja 2" JRPG we got in the USA was REALLY "Naruto: Path of the Ninja 3". They completely skipped the 2nd game of the trilogy in their localization in favor of the third game, perhaps because the third game has a self-contained story.

Since the first "Naruto: Path of the Ninja" game retold the story from the manga/anime, I guess its players are expected to either import a Japanese-language DS game, read the manga, watch the anime, or browse the Naruto wiki to find out what happens after the first game's more-or-less cliffhanger ending.

In the future, I hope the games you play stop wasting your time as much, so that you have more time to make RPG Backtrack episodes! Looking forward to the next one.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    what I loved about Bleach 3rd Phantom was how it completely undercut the show. Yes these fight do go a lot better with team work. almost like you should organize your ghost samurai army into numbered squads with specific jobs for that purpose. ah well.