If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Impression - Trails in the Sky the 3rd

omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know?RPGamer Staff
The trilogy is finally complete. With only a few more days until its official launch, RPGamer has been able to explore the first chapter of the finale to this long-awaited series.

***WARNING: Minor spoilers for chapter 1 ahead***
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/loh/loh6tc/loh6tcimp.html
God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
We Apologize for the Inconvenience

Comments

• VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    edited April 26
    [However the only thing I didn't like when playing the JPN PSP version is the way OVER leveled enemies you run across in game and costly equipment (costs over 1 million mira) to outfit your entire party so that's going to be a LOT of farming not just for unlocking slots once all 16 playable party members are playable all at once

As for the prologue boss I easily beat it on easy mode still in only 3 to 4 turns.
  • oldmanbaloldmanbal Full Members
    is that a space ship? me likes
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    Nope its just a normal airship heck none of the games actually take place in outer space at all.
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited April 27
    Please stop starting sentences with "however" apropos of nothing. Contrary to what you may have gleaned from translations of video games and/or anime, it's not an appropriate way to start a conversation. Unless you're actually contradicting something that was said, it's not correct usage. Saying you didn't like a game for which there was a news post, regardless of the reason, is not a contradiction. Trust me, the fact that you didn't enjoy something about a game being discussed is not such a reversal of expectations set up in the initial post that it requires being prefaced with "however."
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    This game has me confused. The main character starts out at a high level with tons of HP and EP, and he's equipped with some of the best orbments from the previous games, and yet I'm told this is the guy I'll be using for most of the game. Part of the fun of these games is building your characters, so I can't believe they'll have you play the entire game with a character who seems like he's from the endgame. I'm told the game is challenging, so I'm expecting something or other to happen so I can't lean on him anymore.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    Spartakus wrote: »
    This game has me confused. The main character starts out at a high level with tons of HP and EP, and he's equipped with some of the best orbments from the previous games, and yet I'm told this is the guy I'll be using for most of the game. Part of the fun of these games is building your characters, so I can't believe they'll have you play the entire game with a character who seems like he's from the endgame. I'm told the game is challenging, so I'm expecting something or other to happen so I can't lean on him anymore.

SC was the same way, all the characters started around level 40, which is where most players ended up at the end of FC. It's just how the series works.

For what it's worth,
    you lose all those orbments very early on in the first chapter
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    Indeed I did.

This game is not at all what I expected. It's a straight up dungeon crawler where you go through areas from the previous games - now filled with monsters and entirely devoid of NPCs - at the end of which you unlock a new (but familiar) character that in turn lets you open another area. Once it sunk in how different this is I was in fact a bit disappointed, but it's still very well executed and enjoyable, and there's an eerie mystery to the story that keeps me going despite the fact that we're going through these areas for the third time. On the normal difficulty the bosses are challenging and satisfying.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    I think my final levels in this game were like 120? So don't worry about starting at like level 80 or 90 or whatever.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    riulyn wrote: »
    I think my final levels in this game were like 120? So don't worry about starting at like level 80 or 90 or whatever.

I just wrapped it up, and my final levels were between 135 and 140. No grinding necessary, it's pretty easy to level up as you go, and if you're underleveled, you get significantly more exp than normal so you get caught up quick.
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    Both of those say very little about character growth. While 40-60 levels of growth is about the same as one would get in your typical RPG (without excessive grinding to go up to 99 or something). The growth scale is such that you usually go from couple hundred HP to several thousand and similar in damage dealing capabilities (or if they HP cap is 999 then you tend to start well south of 100 HP). Hard to gauge if the growth from level 90 to level 135 feels like actual progression without further detail. Although, I for one find it interesting that there's a sequel where characters don't inexplicably lose most of their fighting ability between games.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    It's been a while since I played the 3rd (I played the Evo version sometime last year) but if I recall correctly, leveling up in the 3rd (as well as the other Trails games) is just a constant, consistent numerical increase in stats and that there is no stat cap for anything including HP or MP. Basically as the game progresses the enemies stats go up in most categories too so your characters tend to deal a similar % of damage to enemy's HP if their levels and equipment keep up with what's expected from game progression. At least that was my experience. Which is probably why I didn't really remember what was going on with the character levels...