If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Poll - Retro Completion

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
On which older platform have you beaten the most RPGs?
NES
SNES
Game Boy/Color
GBA
Genesis/Mega Drive
PS1
PS2
Turbo Duo
PC
Dreamcast
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Definitely PS1. Huge collection of RPGs there I've completed.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    *looks at reviews list*

oh dear lord, I do not want to start tallying stuff now...

(most likely a toss-up between SNES/SFC and the PSX libraries, though)
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    SNES or PS2
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    It' probably either the SNES (via reamakes and Virtual Console) or GBA.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    at first I was worried about there not being a Mac option (because I am fair minded), but then I couldn't stop laughing for some reason.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Not entirely sure but likely one of GBA or GameCube (which isn't on there but if the PS2 gen is then I'm counting it), maybe PC but think the other two beat it in terms of older games.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    I have finished 16 games on the GBA, and they are all RPGs*. No other single system comes close, even if I do count the PSN and VC games for their original systems.

That said, half of my GBA titles are ports, but I do consider ports and emulations to be different.
    *Should you count Zelda ALttP
    ClixPsi.png
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    GameCube will be popping up in a follow-up poll on more recent consoles that I put up near the end of the month. There's no hard and fast rule to this, but since PS2 did come out a year earlier, it's not completely nonsensical.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    No contest PS1. 3 Main FFs + Tactics, 2 Suikodens, 2 Wild Arms, 2 Breath of Fires, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Tales of Destiny, Legend of Mana, Legend of Legaia, Brave Fencer Musashi, Vagrant Story. Surely some I'm forgetting that I'm going to kick myself for remembering Legend of Legaia first. PS2 probably comes close, but I'm sure PS1 beats it. Well, that's probably about it, because I looked up RPGamer's list of PS1 games to remember Vagrant Story. So 17 RPGs beaten. Surely not a lot compared to some of you, but I can't think of a console that I've beaten more RPGs on. Played more might be a different story, but likely not because there are other PS1 RPGs that I've played and not beaten.

PS2 - 2 Personas, 2 FFs, 3 Suikodens + Tactics, 2 Disgaeas, 2 Kingdom Hearts, Okage, Grandia II, Wild Arms 3. So, 15, actually closer than I thought. Close enough that if you include unfinished games PS2 might beat out PS1.

SNES - 2 FFs (okay, 3 counting FF5, but wasn't on SNES), 2 Breath of Fires, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Paladin's Quest, Illusion of Gaia, and, fine, if you absolutely must count it as an "RPG," Link to the Past (it's not one). So, even counting the one I didn't play on SNES and the one I don't think should count, only 10. Reminds me there are some FF collections I could count to boost my PS1 count, but I won't. Also, I don't think I beat both games on all those collections

NES - Um........Final Fantasy, but I didn't beat it on the NES. Legend of Zelda, since we're counting that. So being generous, 2? This still is more than the remaining ones for which I haven't beaten any.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    As i have always stated I have played way more games then I have beaten.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Yeah, if we counted games played, I could add one or two more platforms to this list easily.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    I'm honestly surprised that PS2 isn't number one. That platform had an absolutely insane number of RPGs on it, and high quality ones too. Not sure if this is a complete list, but for me at least there's Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII, .hack//Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, G.U. 1, 2, and 3, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, Rogue Galaxy, Star Ocean 3, Persona 3, Persona 4, Wild ARMs 4, Radiata Stories, Tales of Legendia, and Tales of the Abyss. And those are just the ones I beat.

Also, I feel like the original DS should be on this list as well. That one might actually top PS2 for me, I'd have to check.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited May 25
    I think you're significantly underestimating the number and quality of great RPGs on PS1, but then again, I haven't played about half the games you mentioned and I wouldn't consider all the ones on that list that I have great.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    PS1 and PS2 are neck and neck for me out of this list, but likely fourth or fifth overall.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    omegabyte wrote: »
    I'm honestly surprised that PS2 isn't number one. That platform had an absolutely insane number of RPGs on it, and high quality ones too. Not sure if this is a complete list, but for me at least there's Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII, .hack//Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, G.U. 1, 2, and 3, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, Rogue Galaxy, Star Ocean 3, Persona 3, Persona 4, Wild ARMs 4, Radiata Stories, Tales of Legendia, and Tales of the Abyss. And those are just the ones I beat.

Also, I feel like the original DS should be on this list as well. That one might actually top PS2 for me, I'd have to check.

So, are you saying that you didn't finish //Quarantine or that it is somehow inferior to Parts 1-3 of the original .hack tetralogy?
    ClixPsi.png
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    PS2 probably had more RPG releases than all the other consoles combined. So many that it broke me of being a completionist.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    Clix wrote: »
    omegabyte wrote: »

So, are you saying that you didn't finish //Quarantine or that it is somehow inferior to Parts 1-3 of the original .hack tetralogy?

I never finished Quarantine. The original .hack quadrilogy is a dumpster fire. I never said all those games on my list were great, only that the system has an insane number of great games. I know there are a lot of games considered great on the system that I never finished myself or played myself: Shadow Hearts, Dragon Quest 8, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga, Odin Sphere, etc.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    Time to move this along with some results so we can have another poll related to this one...

PS1 376 34.09%
    PS2 305 27.65%
    SNES 295 26.75%
    PC 52 4.71%
    GBA 31 2.81%
    Turbo Duo 18 1.63%
    Genesis/Mega Drive 9 0.82%
    Game Boy/Color 8 0.73%
    NES 6 0.54%
    Dreamcast 3 0.27%
    Total Votes 1103