If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Trails in the Sky the 3rd

omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know?RPGamer Staff
If you thought being a bracer was tough, just wait until you try being an archaeologist priest assassin. The green-haired hero of the final Trails in the Sky game has it rough.

Read the review here: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/loh/loh6tc/reviews/loh6tcstrev1.html
God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
We Apologize for the Inconvenience

Comments

  • OrophinOrophin New Member Full Members
    I have to say, the structure of the game was a little disorienting at first. Like the reviewer said, it was a bit weird not going through Liberl (or somewhere else entirely in Zemuria) and pretty much being confined to that other dimension, however I felt that the side stories via the Moon/Star doors more than made up for it. Honestly, I probably would have been pretty disappointed if I had to travel the same areas I had already been through in the first two games, so while the setting in another dimension wasn't necessarily bad, it was definitely different and unexpected.

    Probably the main thing that bugged me about the same was the localization errors here and there. Lots of typos or missing words altogether. I realize they were probably in a time crunch to release this during a certain fiscal quarter or whatnot, but it showed. This was probably the only thing that was really an issue for me though.

    Revisiting all the old characters, some of whom you got to use extensively via the first two games, along with being able to control some one-off special characters via SC or characters you never controlled previously was refreshing.

    I want to play the Cold Steel series (especially since it seems like they may be making efforts to eventually bring the whole series over to PC) but I'd really prefer to play the Crossbell series first to keep things in order. I'm hoping between the PC sales of Trails in the Sky and the sales of Cold Steel, they'll financially be able to justify localizing the Crossbell series.
  • rpbancroftrpbancroft Syncopate and Innovate Full Members
    edited May 12
    Orophin wrote: »
    I want to play the Cold Steel series (especially since it seems like they may be making efforts to eventually bring the whole series over to PC) but I'd really prefer to play the Crossbell series first to keep things in order. I'm hoping between the PC sales of Trails in the Sky and the sales of Cold Steel, they'll financially be able to justify localizing the Crossbell series.

    I'm just now finishing up ToCSII, and I think this is a wise move. I wish I'd known more about the Crossbell characters, and having played Trails in the Sky first was definitely beneficial, IMO (though not mandatory). I wonder if there's any chance XSeed will localize the Crossbell arc? I'm not even sure what system they were originally released on; if it's a "dead" system, I imagine it'd be hard to justify localizing them until they're made available elsewhere, or remade.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    rpbancroft wrote: »
    Orophin wrote: »
    I want to play the Cold Steel series (especially since it seems like they may be making efforts to eventually bring the whole series over to PC) but I'd really prefer to play the Crossbell series first to keep things in order. I'm hoping between the PC sales of Trails in the Sky and the sales of Cold Steel, they'll financially be able to justify localizing the Crossbell series.

    I'm just now finishing up ToCSII, and I think this is a wise move. I wish I'd known more about the Crossbell characters, and having played Trails first was definitely beneficial, IMO (though not mandatory). I wonder if there's any chance XSeed will localize the Crossbell arc? I'm not even sure what system they were originally released on; if it's a "dead" system, I imagine it'd be hard to justify localizing them until they're made available elsewhere, or remade.

    I think the Crossbell arc was originally released on PSP with Evolution versions released on Vita (those are the versions I played/am playing). I don't think they were put on PC in Japan, but I think they were released in Chinese for PC.
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Unsolicited Strategy Guide Full Members
    Yes but both the PSP/Evo versions of Zero/Ao No kiseki both will likely stay in Japan/Asia countries and never be officially localized, also this game from this topic DOES have a Evolution version as well I just don't recommend it over this localized PC only version since even on its easy mode you won't kill the last back to back bosses in 3 to 4 turns at all (and will take like 25+ minute to off EACH one).

    Meaning the crappy Evolution version of Kiseki the 3rd makes the game "harder" by doubling all bosses HP which sucks.

    the PC game is based on the normal PSP version so its easier to play even on easy mode for a first run though late game all enemies encounters will be 10 to 20 levels higher then you forcing you to level up all 16 party members in game to match those levels.

    This game is also the only one where making 1 million mira out of sold 9999 x7 sephiths of all 7 elements sold even on easy mode is practically required to buy the better weapons/armors during the last half of the game PER chapter.
  • rpbancroftrpbancroft Syncopate and Innovate Full Members
    edited May 12
    riulyn wrote: »
    I think the Crossbell arc was originally released on PSP with Evolution versions released on Vita (those are the versions I played/am playing). I don't think they were put on PC in Japan, but I think they were released in Chinese for PC.
    Ooo, I didn't know about the Evolutions versions released on Vita, especially of the non Trails in the Sky games (haven't really followed them much). I guess it's still highly unlikely they'd make the trip overseas, since the Vita seems to be thought of as "dead" (it is anything but to me, but, alas, I'm only a single person). I'm all about mobile gaming, though, so that'd be amazing. Oh well. :)
    VeghEsther wrote: »
    Yes but both the PSP/Evo versions of Zero/Ao No kiseki both will likely stay in Japan/Asia countries and never be officially localized, also this game from this topic DOES have a Evolution version as well I just don't recommend it over this localized PC only version since even on its easy mode you won't kill the last back to back bosses in 3 to 4 turns at all (and will take like 25+ minute to off EACH one).
    Interesting, I'm not much of a speed runner, so I probably wouldn't mind them being harder. I'd just be happy to have the games in English. :)
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Unsolicited Strategy Guide Full Members
    for that the PSP/Vita are pretty much dead systems and the Evo versions pretty much have a 0% chance of coming over.

    But yes I beat both the PSP/Vita games in Japanese for Kiseki the 3rd (this game) on easy mode in only 35 hours but bosses take longer in Kiseki the 3rd Evo due to the 2.5 HP boost for every single on no thanks the PSP version is hard enough for boss fights on easy mode without the HP boost.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    rpbancroft wrote: »
    I'm just now finishing up ToCSII, and I think this is a wise move. I wish I'd known more about the Crossbell characters, and having played Trails in the Sky first was definitely beneficial, IMO (though not mandatory). I wonder if there's any chance XSeed will localize the Crossbell arc? I'm not even sure what system they were originally released on; if it's a "dead" system, I imagine it'd be hard to justify localizing them until they're made available elsewhere, or remade.

    I'm sure certain people at XSEED would love to localize the crossbell arc, and are probably doing their best to try to do so. Most likely will depend on sales and whether they can license the PC version or not. Nobody thought they'd do 3rd, either, yet here we are.

    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • rpbancroftrpbancroft Syncopate and Innovate Full Members
    omegabyte wrote: »
    I'm sure certain people at XSEED would love to localize the crossbell arc, and are probably doing their best to try to do so. Most likely will depend on sales and whether they can license the PC version or not. Nobody thought they'd do 3rd, either, yet here we are.
    I was looking up the Trails series on wikipedia, and I didn't realize the Crossbell arc was made after the Trails in the Sky series. The wikipedia entry said that Xseed would consider translating the Crossbell arc if Sky and Cold Steel did well. Sounds like it's a remote-ish possibility, but if their Trails-passion-driven folks stay on at Xseed, I'm thinking it's actually pretty likely. Now that Xseed has seen how successful PC releases of these games can be (though I'm betting they'll be looking pretty hard at Sky the 3rd; I probably should buy it soonish just to show support), I imagine they'll be more inclined to consider this. Fingers crossed.
Sign In or Register to comment.