If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

PlayStation 4 Gets Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
This article title does not mean that there will be a constant stream of Star Ocean releases forevermore. Rather, the third game in the series is heading to PS4 in North America and Europe very soon.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    A big congrats to the fans of the game!
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    Last Star Ocean game to be well received it seems to me, so I think I'll check it out.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • MrSarkMrSark Full Members
    Cool thing: Haven't played this in a over decade, be interesting to see how it holds up.

It will come out on the 23rd in both the US and Europa.
  • ultranessultraness Member Full Members
    I spent something like 100 hours on the game when it came out and still have no desire to play it again. I had fun with it, and I'm glad that the game will be easily available. I wish that Square would make the original Valkyrie Profile available on PS3 or PS4, though, since my copy's first disc is broken.
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    edited May 18
    same here I spend more hours on this game THEN I spend on my 150 + hours on the 3DS vesion of DQ7 and will never play SO3 again since theirs no way I'd want to play this PS4 version of SO 3 for another 200 to 250+ hours and that's just on a first run of the game including all 211 floors of that said dungeon.

Even if the PS4 version has a 2x exp/money DLC so that every battle double's both.

I'd rather play the PS4 version of 2nd evolution the PSP version of the PS1 game but that's impossible for me since I don't have a JPN only PSN account setup and don't want one to play it.

• UltraKev9UltraKev9 Demi-Plane of Semi HemispheresFull Members
    Does this version have any upscale graphics or improvements? Never played SO3 but it's in my queue. Bought it a few years ago and have been trying to figure out when to start it. Think I'll certainly start SO3 before I play 5 although I guess that's not completely necessary. By the by, I think the last game takes place 1000 years after SO2 and about 400 years after SO5.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    None whatsoever, outside of maybe trophies. It's a straight port.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Port with trophies in the tradition of the Dark Cloud releases (among others).

Might pick it up on sale just to see a franchise literally leap over an aquatic predator in real time.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • UltraKev9UltraKev9 Demi-Plane of Semi HemispheresFull Members
    None whatsoever, outside of maybe trophies. It's a straight port.

Well, that's disappointing. Then the only reason to get this version is to give my PS3 a rest. I think we all know we're looking at potentially 150+ hours to platinum.

Not that I'll use that as an excuse to NOT play. Guess I finished SO2 like seven times.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Typically PS2 to PS4 games receive some graphical tweaking and load rate improvements / lag reductions if possible (which has been most games), along with the trophies; unlike the PS3 versions, it's not a straight port. But it's hard to say what each game has received until it's played.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    I played this one to death on ps2. I'll probably take a pass. Too much backlog as it is. Work really cuts into gaming!
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Sadly there is one mechanic is this game which makes it one of my least favorite RPG's ever. Death upon 0MP
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    WTF? I'll call it Tellah Syndrome.
    edited May 20
    Sure death over MP sucks but on earth/galaxy mode the 5000+ physical defense + full elemental spell immunity not only makes Freya's Ether strike harmless for that super boss but not even her MP drain skills cause any damage either.

So on earth/galaxy mode MP loss only sucks if you can't reach the +5000 physical defense stats even with 8x Attack and Defense +30% set to a weapon and 2 more Boots of Prowess equipped on the 3 chosen party members.

But for me I can't stand those so called dragon flute doors and you can't finish disc 1 itself without completing the required dungeon that had those doors.
    VeghEsther wrote: »
    Sure death over MP sucks but on earth/galaxy mode the 5000+ physical defense + full elemental spell immunity not only makes Freya's Ether strike harmless for that super boss but not even her MP drain skills cause any damage either.

So on earth/galaxy mode MP loss only sucks if you can't reach the +5000 physical defense stats even with 8x Attack and Defense +30% set to a weapon and 2 more Boots of Prowess equipped on the 3 chosen party members.

But for me I can't stand those so called dragon flute doors and you can't finish disc 1 itself without completing the required dungeon that had those doors.

Vegh, not everyone plays the game to fully optimize their characters load outs. I play to simply have fun and enjoy the story.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

edited May 21
    Indeed. It's ridiculous to claim a problem is not a problem because if you do a ridiculous amount of grinding/optimization it's not a problem. I also hate when people pretend that an issue with a game isn't a real issue if there's something late, near endgame that solves it. No, that only means it's not an issue for the final dungeon. It's still an issue for the game as a whole.
    edited May 22
    However being immune to all damage late game (post final boss dead) even on earth mode IMHO its no longer "optional" but required else both a single hit from any of the post game bosses even at level 255 and its MP drain move will leave you with no MP left after a single hit while still possibly hitting the entire party like 20 + times all hitting for 99,999 x20 hits as well.

Also the faster you get 500 Attack x8 on disc 1 x3 party members the faster the enemies will die before they can MP kill you.
    Playing post-game itself is optional! Anything that's a problem until you beat the final boss should not be dismissed.
    I barely did anything post game cause I was so fed up with the 0MP death rate from the main part of the game. I had to reload a lot because of it so I said screw it and went on to another game. Just because there is something post game (by the way Post means after, so yeah completely optional content as it's AFTER the game), that makes it easier doesn't mean I wanted to put up with this mechanic for 99% of the game again.
    sig.gif

• SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    I've only played the first few minutes of this so it might be a good opportunity to give the game a chance. I do hope this version performs better than if I simply emulate it on the PC though.