If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Impression - Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
The first of the pair of Utawarerumono releases this year comes out in North America and Europe early next week. Those not sure what the series is all about might benefit from this report for the early parts of the game.

[ Impression ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    I learned something while playing Tears 2: I don't particularly like visual novels.
    "There are a number of scenes where the game spends far too long lingering on irrelevant conversation"
    ^This right here^
  • XerainXerain Member Full Members
    edited May 20
    You have a typo there are the veerrrry end where you listed Mask of Truth coming out twice.

oop, fixed - thanks
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Slayer wrote: »
    I learned something while playing Tears 2: I don't particularly like visual novels.
    "There are a number of scenes where the game spends far too long lingering on irrelevant conversation"
    ^This right here^

Is spending too long on irrelevant things just a common trait of visual novels? Was hoping this might be better paced than Tears 2.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Pretty much. Some are better at doing it less than others, or at least make the irrelevant things somewhat interesting. And so far, no, it's not better paced than Tears.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • hyperknees91hyperknees91 Member Full Members
    edited May 22
    Irrelevant conversations are essentially 80% of a visual novels text (As someone who has read 150+ visual novels).

The gist is generally japanese writers have this idea that you can't really get to know the character or care about them unless you have a lot of relaxed/comedic moments with them. That way when the drama hits it comes as a surprise due to the sudden mood swing...

But the real reason is that the writers get paid by the word and the voice actors do as well.

I don't think there's a huge huge problem with this approach IF and that's a big if, the writer can actually make these relaxed conversations actually enjoyable or funny. Though pretty much they all fail at that outside of a scant few. (Trails in the Sky comes to mind).