If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 428: "Not Talkin' 'Bout The Underwear"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 428: "Not Talkin' 'Bout The Underwear"

Magikarp manages to keep swimming up the current of news for another week. But Fire Emblem, River City, and Pyre show up as stops along the river. Waters get a bit choppy when Zwei shows up, but Pascal manages to talk everyone through the crisis and return to his home galaxy of Andromeda.

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Not Talkin' 'Bout The Underwear"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
What is your upper limit price for a Digital Only game, and why?

Support the Show
179811.png

Comments

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited June 3
    Correction: SquareEnix is taking preorders for the Switch version of Lost Sphear as well as the PS4.

I think $40 US is my ceiling for physical titles, though I do like trading in games for eShop/PSN credit to bring that down if I'm really done with them.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    I am quite glad to be wrong on this. One thing I feel like I hear over and over is I Am Setsuna had a lot of lost potential and I'm hoping Lose Sphear improves & sells better.
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    I don't know that my upper limit for digital only is different from my limit for physical. Pretty much any game that I'd be willing to pay the full $60, I'd want the physical copy of it. If there were no physical copy though, I don't think I'd necessarily rule it out. It depends on the quality of the game. If, for whatever crazy reason, Persona 6 were released digital only, I'd be willing to pay the same price as I would for a physical version.

Most of the time though I don't expect much from a digital only release. When I put that consideration into it, I probably wouldn't pay more than $30.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited June 5
    My price limit is very high if it's something I really want to play. Digital only doesn't matter to me if im truly wanting to play it. For a great game, like say the witcher 3, 150 dollars would still be worth it digital only. But it's hard to know how good it is before hand. I've paid 60 dollars for a lot of lousy games.
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    QOTW: While I don't think I've ever spent more than $40 for a digital only game, I'm like Budai; I can imagine situations where I would be willing to pay large amounts of money for a digital only game. If Ys 8 were digital only, it wouldn't bother me to spend $60 on it and if there was an English version of the Crossbell Trails games I would happily drop $100-150 on each of them.

I will say that I'm much more willing to spend money on digital only on PC as opposed to console games. At least with PC, I'm fairly certain that I will be able to play them 5-10 years down the road. With console, they could turn off those servers at any time and then once your console dies: goodbye games. Heck, it's been four years now and Sony can't be bothered to put a PS1 emulator on the PS4; they don't care if those digital purchases evaporate (like that Sony exec this week wondering why anyone would want to play old games; gives a view into their corporate thinking).
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited June 7
    While I tend to be staunch about playing Fire Emblem on classic, I'll admit I've gotten to like Mila's Turnwheel. I use it if I lose a characters in a dungeon (learned the hard way that restarting means I have to restart the entire dungeon) or if someone is killed by those cheap teleporting witches.

QotW: If it's digital-only and a game I really want, then I'd be willing to pay $60. While I prefer physical copies, if my choices are digital version of a game or no game at all, I'll go for the former.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Is this excluding computer games? Because pretty much all of them have been digital-only for years and years. When exactly did the era of computer games on disks or CD-ROMs end?

If computer games count, then World of Warcraft established that I'll pay $70 for a digital-only game (Legion Digital Deluxe Edition). If we're excluding computer games, then the highest I've ever paid for a digital-only game was $30 for Unchained Blades (it's cheaper now), and that's because it was a full-length JRPG that happened to have a digital-only release in the US.

I prefer a physical copy of a game whenever reasonably possible, partly because physical games can be resold. I usually refrain from buying digital-only games above the $15 range. The flip side is that digital-only games that are dirt cheap ($5 and under) can be irresistibly tempting.