If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
Aquaplus and Atlus combine tactical RPG combat with visual novel storytelling once again in Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception. RPGamer examines this first part of a duology before the concluding Mask of Truth arrives in September.

[ Review ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited June 16
    Your review, at least up to where I am, is mirroring most of my thoughts about Utaware so far. My progress is right at arriving in the capital, and things seem like they are in a relative slump and have no intention of picking up any time soon, which is why my progress is so slow.

To be honest I'd have rated this game much lower than Tears to Tiara 2, because neither the story nor battle system (up to this point) have even come close to matching that game, but they have been decent in their own right. Considering how many fellow RPGamers seemed to feel ambivalent towards or outright dislike TtT2, I feel like Mask of Deception is only going to be hitting a very small audience, which sucks because I genuinely love this style of game. Hopefully the second half and the second game is where the real meat of the experience lies.
  • blurpoblurpo United StatesFull Members
    I just finished this game about 5 days ago. Loved it! First thing I did was disable the combat meters, (made them automatic with no criticals), second thing I did was increase difficulty to hard, normal is just too easy. Played that way, the tactical combat was awesome (when it happened). I do agree the first part had too much fluff, hell at some point I noticed over two hours had passed between battles, but still, I totally recommend this game with an obligatory warning that this is a visual novel first and a tactical RPG second. Those going in expecting a RPG will abandon it 1 hour into the game.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited June 17
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    Your review, at least up to where I am, is mirroring most of my thoughts about Utaware so far. My progress is right at arriving in the capital, and things seem like they are in a relative slump and have no intention of picking up any time soon, which is why my progress is so slow.

Unfortunately you've still got a few hours of fluff to get through. It's kind of the problem I had in that stage, and it meant I didn't really have much desire to spend time on it. Once rhe plot picked back up I was very happy to keep coming back each evening.

If the second game keeps the interest that I finally reached at the of the first then I suspect I'm going to love it.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)