If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Monster Hunter: World Impression

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
Some said it would never happen. Yet we find ourselves in the midst of a new high definition Monster Hunter game. Will hook shots, open worlds, and breakable environments finally pave the way for Monster Hunter in the west?

[Impression]
179811.png

Comments

• imercenaryimercenary Member Full Members
    Most of this sounds... off for a Monster Hunter game. But I also say that as someone who pretty much plays Monster Hunter almost multiplayer exclusively.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    imercenary wrote: »
    Most of this sounds... off for a Monster Hunter game. But I also say that as someone who pretty much plays Monster Hunter almost multiplayer exclusively.

it sounds like a natural evolution for a lot of aspects of the series, if nothing else switching to open hunting grounds from the segmented ones is long overdue.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    The streamed footage was pretty good in my opinion. The original trailer was doing what a lot of trailers do, and showing off new stuff.
    Wheels wrote: »
    it sounds like a natural evolution for a lot of aspects of the series, if nothing else switching to open hunting grounds from the segmented ones is long overdue.

I... guess...? Its just that the series has always made concessions for lag in online play, so I'm having trouble seeing it without redesigning portions of the game.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members

I... guess...? Its just that the series has always made concessions for lag in online play, so I'm having trouble seeing it without redesigning portions of the game.

That seems a little dramatic, why can't the PS4 handle open areas without redesign? What would they have to change?
    N

I don't think anything related to the design had anything to do with lag in online play and everything to do with technical limitations in size of areas on the hardware it primarily targeted (PS2/PSP/3DS). Local play was the primary multiplayer method basically until 4 (as 3 on 3DS/PSP was bigger than Wii/Wii U). Of note: I saw plenty of lag playing on Wii/ Wii U. Don't think larger areas are going to make much of a difference in terms of lag on these systems.
    sig.gif
    Budai wrote: »

That seems a little dramatic, why can't the PS4 handle open areas without redesign? What would they have to change?

Because not everyone has a 1TB broadband connection.
    N

I don't think anything related to the design had anything to do with lag in online play and everything to do with technical limitations in size of areas on the hardware it primarily targeted (PS2/PSP/3DS). Local play was the primary multiplayer method basically until 4 (as 3 on 3DS/PSP was bigger than Wii/Wii U). Of note: I saw plenty of lag playing on Wii/ Wii U. Don't think larger areas are going to make much of a difference in terms of lag on these systems.

I'm a little unsure on what you're saying so let me clarify: You're saying that the game won't have concessions for -latency- because the PS4/PC/Xbox One has more powerful hardware. Is that correct?

N

I'm a little unsure on what you're saying so let me clarify: You're saying that the game won't have concessions for -latency- because the PS4/PC/Xbox One has more powerful hardware. Is that correct?

No, I'm saying the existing concessions have nothing to do with latency, and rather are related to hardware limitations.
    sig.gif
  • ScionScion RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I've tried MH on the PSP, Wii, and 3DS and failed to enjoy it. This looks to at least address some of my concerns with that series, at least as much as I want to give it another shot. Mainly it looks nice not feeling like it's still being limited by the PS2.

N

No, I'm saying the existing concessions have nothing to do with latency, and rather are related to hardware limitations.

Gathering points and small monsters are desynced across players due to hardware limitations? Yikes.
    edited June 24
    Gathering points and small monsters are desynced across players due to hardware limitations? Yikes.

huh? I was talking strictly about hunting ground size and being split up into multiple segmented areas.

Actually the vast majority of people don't, which is why multiplayer code has been refined and optimized for over a decade to work well on slower connections.
    sig.gif