If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

#JRPGJuly 2017!

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
Share with us what you'll be playing for #JRPGJuly, and feel free to use this forum to share your progress!

Comments

• jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I've been looking forward to JRPGJuly. It's always a fun excuse to share and talk (even more) about JRPGs. I've got a bunch of games vying for my attention right now: I'm on the last boss of Fire Emblem Echoes (need to sit down and finish that), I'm 7 hrs or so into Utewareromono (I probably just misspelled that, but I'm not looking it up) and that game is really picking up, I just got Valkyria Revolution and the first couple of hours aren't the complete abomination that I was expecting, and Tokyo Xanadu shows up on Friday (someone save me, I'm drowning in games).

However, my big goal for JRPGJuly is to finally play the original Nier. I'm picking up Nier: Automata on the Steam sale and that's going to be my motivation to finally play this game that's been sitting on my shelf for 4 or 5 years. Kinda messed up to buy a new game to motivate me to play an older one, but there you go. Hopefully it will live up to expectations and then I can tackle Automata later this year. Is anyone else trying to cross off something big from their backlog for JRPGJuly?
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Due to my backlog and the existence of FF14's new expansion, my main hope is to complete Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright during the month.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Yeah I will try to manage to finally finish Final Fantasy 9, or at least advance a great deal, now on disk 2
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Ombres wrote: »
    Yeah I will try to manage to finally finish Final Fantasy 9, or at least advance a great deal, now on disk 2

What's been the hold up these past 17 years?

I don't have too much really planned, mostly because I forgot this was a thing. I just finished up some big JRPGs last this month. Next on the agenda are The Wind Waker (not a JRPG) and another run through Pokemon AlphaSapphire, using the remaining Gens 1-6 Pokemon left that I have never used but am interested in using. Hopefully I can finish TWW relatively soon, as I want to play FFXII HD when that comes out in two weeks. I did order it over Amazon, so I don't expect to have it Day 1; that might help give me the extra time I need. Also, really, really doubt that I will be able to finish FFXII in half a month. Not even going to try.
    ClixPsi.png
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I didn't sign up for the official site post because I wasn't sure what I'd be playing. Looks like it's going to be the last half of Fire Emblem Echoes and some Tokyo Xanadu mixed in though.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Similar to Clix, I don't have all that much planned for July either, especially when it comes to JRPGs.

A general idea is to try and finish Utawarerumono, which I think I may be around the halfway mark if total number of battles is any indication of length. Then there's Dark Rose Valkyrie, which I'm finding is treading water so far. If something bad happens, or the pacing shifts into being a massive grind of pointless missions, I could see myself dropping it later on though. Valkyria Revolution is something on my radar for rental, but the reception towards it is pretty bad right now.

My real plan is to wait until Splatoon 2 launches at the end of July and then put some serious time into that game while its fresh and fun. The first Splatoon was such a joyous experience when I still had friends playing it and hopefully the second can match that or possibly even exceed expectations.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    I picked up Tales of Berseria on Steam sale so that'll be my main game of July. As well as FFXV, which I just started playing on Tuesday. And at some point finish Ar nosurge which I'm slowly making my way through.
    edited June 29
    Clix wrote: »

You know other games and life... And I don't why, every time I started that game, I always did stop after the first disk, something else caught my attention and after some time... years, I restart, this is my third try, so it should be good, since I manage to go farther this time. Still need to finish X, X-2,XII, XIII-2 and Lighting return after that, beside XV and the MMO one, I will be done with this series. So yeah lot of hours of fun ahead!
    sig.gif
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Clix wrote: »

You know other games and life... And I don't why, every time I started that game, I always did stop after the first disk, something else caught my attention and after some time... years, I restart, this is my third try, so it should be good, since I manage to go farther this time. Still need to finish X, X-2,XII, XIII-2 and Lighting return after that, beside XV and the MMO one, I will be done with this series. So yeah lot of hours of fun ahead!

Don't you mean MMO 2? FFXI and FFXIV are both MMO's
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    Yeah forgot an s indeed :)
    sig.gif
  • AttackcobraAttackcobra Full Members
    I'm playing Tokyo Xanadu all month, or at least until I finish it. Any other time I have will be spent on Mass Effect 2.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Since I'm already past the halfway point, I'll be finishing the Kemco JRPG "Justice Chronicles" this July. It's badly translated, and game balance is all over the place, but on the positive side, there's a dragon (Rooselvey).

What can I say? I like dragons. The dragon is the only reason I gave Kemco another chance after slogging through Grinsia.

After that, I think I'll give Pokemon Sun a serious try.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Strawberry, you'll be pleased to know as you unlock settlements for the other races, they each have vendors that will trade items. I have done many a trade for Leipard Fur, Cactus Leaves, and Fish Bones myself to ensure my shops stay stocked. It's a really cool way of ensuring you don't NEED to go back to earlier areas to grind (also, once you get enough non-Seedlings they can go out on exploration missions for extra items too).
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    mario-and-luigi-paper-jam-02.gif

#paperrpgjuly
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    Paper Jam, while not perfect, was probably my favourite M&L since PIT.
  • ultranessultraness Member Full Members
    It seems odd to me that Mike swore off the Mario and Luigi games after Partners and Time, as Bowser's Inside Story is great (and probably my favourite in the series, personally).
    Partners in Time has its player-punishing moments, but so does every single game in the series. I felt that all the M&L series' strong points and fun factor outweighed their frustrations, but I guess not everyone agrees.

I'm still progressing through Justice Chronicles. I have to give it credit for a turn-based combat system with more depth than I expected at first glance. The translation is so amazingly bad that I'm retranslating the stilted English into something better in my head at every story scene.
    I'm in the minority that I like PiT and do not like BIS -- I'd expect very few people agree with me :)
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    @lolwhoops Corrin being able to marry his/her siblings is because even the Hoshido sibling aren't their blood relatives. This is not at all mentioned in the main story, but in their supports, the siblings mention that Mikoto is not their biological mother and the late king of Hoshido is not Corrin's biological father. Ryoma, Takumi, Sakura, and Hinoka are actually Corrin's step-siblings . So yeah, it's an elaborate and mildly creepy way for sibling incest fetishists to have their cake and eat it too. XP

@Paws Good to hear! :)
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited July 8
    Although Corrin is related to the Dragon that lives in your castle. This is only made aware through DLC
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Winter9Winter9 NorwayFull Members
    I'm exited to follow your journeys again this year! I myself is doing Fiesta. After that I will continue my Bravely Default which I'm currently soon 60 hours into. That's most likely all for July, but I'm also 30 hours into Cold Steel. (WHoops). Trying to follow the tips of Chris and Anna Marie though and mostly stick to one game :)
    Just for fun, here's a list of the most brutally difficult moments in all the Mario & Luigi RPGs and how to cheese them. It's all behind a spoiler tag, of course.

Superstar Saga - final boss - wear Beanstar Pants on at least one bro so you have the opportunity to heal with a max nut in the second phase.

Partiners in Time - final boss - bring lots and lots of items, especially fire flowers.

Bowser's Inside Story - Giant Bowser vs. Monty Mole Express - breathing fire/blowing in the microphone is harder than you'd think, so I held my DS up to an electric fan to win this one.

Dream Team - Giant Luigi battles - if having gyroscope problems, lay the 3DS on a flat surface and tilt it very gently while keeping it on the surface. Also, the badge power to stop time breaks the game, and is especially valuable on tough-as-nails final boss, as it is one of the only possible ways to stop him from healing.

Paper Jam - battle vs. Lemmy, Iggy, & Morton - don't forget to hit the Y button for the paper trampoline on Morton's attack. There is no way outside of glitching to cheese phase 1, just retry and practice. When the bros can attack, Cannonball Chuck is a good move to annihilate the enemy before phase 1 starts again. I had to retry this battle 20+ times.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    For some weird reason Ever Oasis still doesn't appear to be available in Japan, but I did get a trial version announcement from Nintendo this weekend.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited July 9
    I believe it hits Japan this coming Thursday.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    edited July 9
    Glad to see you have been enjoying Alliance Alive, Gaijin. The Legend of Legacy was a game I really enjoyed quite a bit just for the visuals and battle system alone, so naturally I'm really interested in Alliance too. It sounds like its a step up from Legacy, with an increased focus on plot while keeping the same charming aesthetic.

Might as well continue discussing my current playthroughs here. Dark Rose Valkyrie continues to be a game that somehow keeps my attention in spite of all the flaws. My 3rd interrogation went over a little better than the 2nd, since I found the lying statement and supporting arguments early on in one of the topics. But then...I had to reload about 20 times before I was given that topic again to combine what I learned for a turn-in. The most recent 4th interrogation was the worst though. After stressing and reading 60 different questions, I had to make the tough choice that everyone was telling the truth. We'll see if that ends up being accurate a few hours later. What were they thinking with this system? Lost Dimension executed the idea so much better.

Chapter 7's new dungeon was fun to navigate, as most of the dungeons have been, but the boss here was very frustrating. This is because they forced me to use a party of all of my weaker party members without much warning. I had to go and outfit all of them with new gear and various upgrades, and it was still a tough fight that I had to reload a few times since I hardly spent any bonus PP on anyone but the main character.

The story is also getting very tired at this point. Once again its the same old song and dance, you go to a location, meet one of the villains, and then they make you fight a random monster while they retreat and laugh at you. Right now my main party is Asahi, Yue, Amal, and Coo. Yue and Coo in particular are my strongest members by far, while Amal is starting to lag behind now that physical attacks aren't as impressive as they used to be, so I'm thinking I might switch with new comer who ended up joining after
    Kengo
    betrayed the team. Character in spoilers might be random because I think its similar to Lost Dimension where anyone can be a traitor.

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Shaymin wrote: »
    I believe it hits Japan this coming Thursday.

That's what I was assuming, but it doesn't even show up on Dengeki's online release schedule, which has darn near EVERYTHING on it. Not even kidding; I've retro-checked games from over a decade ago for exact release dates using that thing.
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    Glad to see you have been enjoying Alliance Alive, Gaijin. The Legend of Legacy was a game I really enjoyed quite a bit just for the visuals and battle system alone, so naturally I'm really interested in Alliance too. It sounds like its a step up from Legacy, with an increased focus on plot while keeping the same charming aesthetic.

It's been awesome so far. May be discussing the Guilds system for the next update. Oh, and the ornithopters.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    ultraness wrote: »
    It seems odd to me that Mike swore off the Mario and Luigi games after Partners and Time, as Bowser's Inside Story is great (and probably my favourite in the series, personally).

There were a TON of DS RPGs so after Partners in Time just any M&L game no matter how cool it looked (and it looked really cool) was a tough sell.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    edited July 12
    So I finished my playthrough of Dark Rose Valkyrie. Here's what happened:

My 5th Interrogation ended up being extremely "easy" in that the liar actually seemingly lied about everything she said. It was actually difficult for me to pick out which statement to use since most of the lies also had proof to back them up. The 6th and final Interrogation afterwards was simultaneously difficult and easy. Easy because they basically tell you who the liar was in the sequence directly following which I usually have to cycle through for reload attempts. Hard because the character herself didn't lie in any of her statements. Instead, she actually told another character that the Commander would be more suited as a teacher rather than a military woman. Initially this makes you think the character that claim to be "told" is the one lying, but if you have your teammate investigate the matter then its confirmed that the event of her being lied to actually took place, so everything makes sense. The last two Interrogations somehow ended up being not too bad compared to the teeth pulling agony of trying to get the previous ones correct.

Big traitor ended up being
    Luna
    in this playthrough. They were the secondary person I suspected. I feel like they could have done more with this reveal, as it felt like if they let the betrayal bake and built up the story it could have been more interesting. Once again with DRV, the concept behind the betrayal is actually fairly neat, but the execution is lackluster. Thankfully
    I ended up getting the character back and had a happy ending segment with Luna.

Battle system got a lot easier after I replaced Amal with Kana. Towards the end I began to kinda piece together the inner workings of the battle system, and it got a lot easier from there. Asahi's Special Art does disgusting levels of damage, while Coo and Kana destructed everything with missiles. Poor Yue, my favorite character and most powerful at the beginning didn't end up scaling very well, since her Special Art is split between physical and ranged damage. She mostly served as lesser physical attacker, item supporter, and stun-locker since the combo I made for her has a long animation sequence.