If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

#JRPGJuly 2017!

2»

Comments

• Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited July 15
    What I do want to get to is our first new party member, or his voice actor Low Rent Crispin Freeman Matt Mercer and the other voice actors for the leads.
    I once heard Matt Mercer referred to as "Discount Troy Baker." Personally, I more agree with the Freeman comparison. XD
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Late last night while my computer was in its second hour of applying Windows 10 updates, I finally beat that boss battle that was blocking my way, but it was a reeeeeeeally close thing, even with my new optional party member suddenly learning a high-power, high-cost attack that did a thousand damage per hit.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    It sounds so much better than the previous game. I hope it gets localized, but I'm not really holding my breath :(
  • ultranessultraness Member Full Members
    Wheels wrote: »
    There were a TON of DS RPGs so after Partners in Time just any M&L game no matter how cool it looked (and it looked really cool) was a tough sell.

Well, I would recommend going back and checking out the third game if you get the chance. I think every game in the series has some issues, but the only one which I'd say has major problems is Partners in Time.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited July 15
    I reached credits in Justice Chronicles, but the story's denoument continues into the postgame and I'm really having a blast with the turn-based battle system and highly customizeable party, so it looks like I might get the advertised 40 hours of playtime out of it after all. (Fair warning: a significant portion of that playtime is grinding for crafting materials and money).

The best part of the battle system is the ability to switch party members freely in mid-fight. Difficult boss battles (mandatory or optional) play a lot like the challenging battles of Dragon Quest games that revolved around swappable party members (like the DS/3DS versions of DQ4, DQ5, DQ6, and DQ8), or Wild Arms 2 boss battles.

If I were to describe the Justice Chronicles story in two words, it would be "shocking swerves" (or "badly translated", I suppose). It never lets up with the twists, to an extreme, almost baffling degree. I hesitate to call the story "good", but at least it's not boring, so I wouldn't call it "bad" either.

Ultimately, while it's definitely not on the level of Wild Arms 2 or Dragon Quest 8, Justice Chronicles does bring back fond memories of both games, and it's worth the $10 I paid for it. It's also far better than I expected from Kemco.

Except for the English localization, which is far worse than I expected even from Kemco. This is a game where antagonists say things like "I lost? Crazy!"
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited July 16
    What I do want to get to is our first new party member, or his voice actor Low Rent Crispin Freeman Matt Mercer and the other voice actors for the leads.
    I once heard Matt Mercer referred to as "Discount Troy Baker." Personally, I more agree with the Freeman comparison. XD

I mostly make the crack because his Inari is very much in Freeman's haughty aristocrat mode. it took me a minute to be sure.
  • AttackcobraAttackcobra Full Members
    While the last section of the game does feel never-ending, I will say that I did love this game in the end, and even went as far to get the True Ending.

You way describe it made me get my hopes up that there was some sort of secret ending I missed. Not cool.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    ...really? That ending is pretty universally described as the True Ending by everyone.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • AttackcobraAttackcobra Full Members
    ...really? That ending is pretty universally described as the True Ending by everyone.

My bad. It just the way he described it made it sound like he did something special to get it. Until now I was just under the impression that every ending other than that one was considering "bad".
    There's 3 endings in Persona 5, typically referred to as bad, neutral/good, and true. The true ending is probably easier to get than previous games.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Fair enough, considering it adds a bit more of slog to an already pretty substantial final part I think it's valid wording (though if you've gone that far already you really may as well go for the whole thing) :)

And yeah, Persona true endings are (thankfully) a lot easier to get than certain other games
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    A little over halfway through JRPGJuly and I'm slowly making progress through the games I'm playing. In Utawarerumono, I'm about 17 hours in and have reached the mid-section where the story picks up and combat becomes (a bit) more prevalent. This game has all kinds of things that would cause people to hate it: slow as molasses beginning, verbose interludes about seemingly unimportant side-stories, huge breaks (hours, seriously hours) between combat, and to top it off you can tell this series started life as a game targeted at adults. Despite all of those issues, Utawarerumono has been a little hidden gem for me. Even if many are tropes I've seen before in Japanese media, I love the interesting and distinct characters and the game does a good job of crafting an interesting and believable world. The combat may not happen very often, but when it shows up it is a very solid Sting SRPG. The further I get, the more I want to see where it's going and that is a pretty good marker in my book.

I'm also working through Nier and I can see both why that game garnered poor reviews at the time and has developed a cult following among JRPG fans. The controls are loose, the combat is not great, and the game is not always good at explaining what to do or how to do it. However, the art design is great (it really looks like a post-apocalyptic world), the characters are interesting (I particularly love Weiss giving you crap for doing the usual RPG fare of mindless quests for unimportant NPC's "Do we really have time to do this person's shopping? Shouldn't we be working on saving your daughter?" Fantastic.), and I love how the devs are weaving different styles of games into Nier. I just finished the text adventure portion and that sure was a throwback. Nier seems like a game where the developers ambitions outstrips their abilities, but the ambitions are so interesting I'm willing to forgive the obvious flaws.
    I finished the Justice Chronicles optional bosses, and the postgame, and the post-postgame, and despite its many flaws I liked it so much that I bought the other Kemco JRPG by developer Hit Point on the 3DS, Chronus Arc. I could probably wait for Chronus Arc to go on sale again and pay $5 instead of $10, but I don't mind sparing Hit Point the money.

The RPGamer review of Chronus Arc savages it for the same flaws that were in Justice Chronicles - forced grinding/crafting material collection, gigantic endgame difficulty spike, and atrocious localization. Fortunately, none of those things ruined my Justice Chronicles experience, so I'll probably have much more fun with Chronus Arc than the reviewer did.

Oh, and I found that Kemco maintains a fansite/FAQ repository for all its JRPGs. It's

https://www.rpginsanity.com

"The Ultimate Kemco Fansite".

One final, glaring flaw of Justice Chronicles - its instruction manual is bare-bones, and the help option in the in-game menu is limited, so that some of its most important mechanics (such as equipping items on Guardian Beasts) are left up to the player to figure out, or check a FAQ to learn. That's one aspect of 90's JRPGs that Kemco shouldn't copy.

The other game I'll be playing for JRPG July, ARPG August, and beyond is Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I'm terrible at action games, so I'll be using my amiibos for free healing items and bows all the way through.
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    hurray!
    nkkd01.jpg
    I have a suspicion as to why so few of Kemco's JRPGs have been brought to the 3DS. Their original incarnations on mobile had in-app purchases, and modifying the 3DS ports to remove the in-app purchases entailed significant programming and QA costs.

The original in-app purchases also explain why Grinsia, Justice Chronicles, Chronus Arc (according to the review) and presumably others had such a large difficulty spikes on the final boss.

I'm probably going to keep playing Kemco's RPGs, but only on the 3DS or other consoles. I'd rather pay the full price for a game up-front when possible.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    So I was not able to put as much time as I would like on Final Fantasy 9, but instead I manage to finish Pokémoon Moon :) I will not give up on FF9 and I will finish it this year, I hope!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Final Update!

Out of curiosity, how many of you finished games this month?
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Hahahahahaha.

Nope. I could have finished Pokemon AlphaSapphire and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, but my schedule got a bit thrown off here and there. I thought that I would be done with TWW by now so that I could start FFXII, but that's just not the case. I have decided to bench TWW for now to scratch my XII itch since I have been anticipating it for several months now.
    ClixPsi.png
    All in all for July I completed Ever Oasis and Monster Monpiece (Trillion is likely to follow by the end of the day). Also tried but set aside Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy and Ar nosurge Plus: Ode to an Unborn Star, knocking 4 games total out of my Vita backlog \o/
    As soon as I finish Trillion I'm going to tackle a VN or two.
    Persona 5 is long enough as is, if it didn't have (unlockable) fast travel around the city then it would be severly and deservedly criticized for the omission.

Justice Chronicles was the only JRPG I completed in July, but I also finished some non-RPGs, including Unfinished Swan (a gem of an indie title, playable on Playstation Now), and Pokemon Picross (it took over a year to unlock and complete everything without paying money in this free-to-play title).

I also "finished" my warlock in World of Warcraft, in the sense of "completed the Legion class hall storyline and obtained the class mount". Or "mounts", since the warlock's demon horse comes in three lovely colors - fel green, fiery orange, or malevolent violet.

I'm maybe 1/3 of the way through Chronus Arc, just changed classes for the first time, and will likely finish it in August. Like Justice Chronicles, I'm having more fun with it than can be rationally explained. I can't dispute the criticisms or the low review score it got on RPGamer from what I've experienced so far. I just like it.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who participated during #JRPGJuly! Be it posting on the forums, using the hashtag on social media, and of course to our awesome staff who constantly shared their thoughts and feelings throughout the month. Doing this event is always a favourite and I love seeing the community come together to play JRPGs!
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Wasn't able to get in my writeup so long story short: Despite my complaints I'm having a blast with Paper Jam, especially enjoying seeing the Koopa Kids in a Mario, looking forward to playing more.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • ultranessultraness Member Full Members
    I completed Zero no Kiseki and Xenogears (again), both of which are fairly long games. Next month I'll work towards finishing Fire Emblem Echoes.
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I didn't end up finishing any games during July (darn life getting in the way). Almost all my time lately has been on Vita with Utawarerumono and that one is such an odd duck. Do you want to play a game with 12 battles stretched across 30 hours (so far)? Then Utawarerumono is the game for you; it truly is a visual novel with a light sprinkling of Sting created SRPG maps thrown in. If you can get past the walls of text and an incredibly slow start, the story really ramps up toward the end. The localization is really strong as well (a few of the jokes have had me laughing out loud), making the weak effort in Persona 5 earlier this year all the stranger. Oh well, hopefully I'll finish that up this week and move on to Tokyo Xanadu or maybe Super Robot Wars V if that shows up.