If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy Retrospective - Active Topical Banter

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
We examine our personal experiences with the Final Fantasy franchise, how a major anniversary is half gone without publisher support and some E3 stuff.

Listen
Archive
Feeds
Sponsor

Talking Points:
-Final fantasy retrospectives
-What does it mean to us
-What does it mean to the hobby
-Mac’s adventures
-Trent’s feature series
-The Future

Next: Choices.

Comments

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I'd like to recommend Legaia 2: Duel Saga to Sam, since it also has a playable female pirate captain. (To be honest, everything else about Legaia 2 is mediocre at best, which may be why its sales were low and there was never a Legaia 3.)
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Well it also had a really steep difficulty curve at one point in the game which is why it's still on my backlog
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited July 2
    I would have thought Legaia 2 sold poorly because of the first game, which was actually a fairly decent RPG, but suffered from an unforgivably ponderous battle system. Each action took forever, so that even regular battles took several minutes and it was not uncommon for boss battles too last over an hour. I'm surprised I actually enjoyed it enough to have the patience to make it all the way through, so I think the other aspects were pretty decent. It's funny, because the system was pretty close to the same as Xenogears, but Xenogears didn't make things take forever - the commands were input and executed quickly. Legaia should have done the same.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    The first Legaia had a good story, which helped carry its weaker aspects like the blocky PSX-era 3D graphics and the slow combat system (which unfortunately is also slow in Legaia 2).
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    I don't find the blocky PSX-era graphics a negative. They're kind of charming now and that's just the way things were back then. But yeah, story and some decent core RPG mechanics helped make up for the ridiculous slowness.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
  • Winter9Winter9 NorwayFull Members
    I'm not one grown up with Final Fantasy exactly. In fact I weren't allowed more than a Game Boy growing up. I'm not quite sure if my first FF was IV or X. I thought it was X, but I have memories of when my sister and I finally got our DS's and we bought FFIV and V in a sort of 32 in 1 when on vacation. It's likely I lived at home then so IV could have been my first. Ten had a huge impression on me and I played it a lot even though I didn't beat it. I got stuck on a spot and it required lots of grinding in one place due to bad saving. I remember just the opening music and the journey it was unlike anything I had ever played.

Now I have beaten I-IV and IX. I'm slowly playing through all of them. Well maybe not the MMO's. They seem fun, but as a WoW raider that wouldn't allow for much else in my life :P I'm doing the Fiesta and my jobs are Black Mage, Ranger, Summoner and Dancer. The team serves me well so far and I'm having a blast with this. It's up there with VI, Tactics and X which are my favorites even though I haven't beaten any of them yet.

I have this thing I do when I play rpg's and after I began doing so I can actually beat them. I used to play until the game opened up and then get completely lost due to having a bad memory. Now I have a small book where I write down clues with a tick box on the side. I tick off every time I complete an objective and as such it's easy to go see the random clue a city person has told me ten hours ago. Am I the only one doing this? My sister just remember, no iea how though. ^^

My dream wish for FF series I would be for them to look back to their roots and to go all out again to make a cohesive, touching story and to not worry too much about graphics. At least spend a little more effort. In an earlier episode it was mentioned how you guys wanted them to build on what they have. You don't have to build everything from the ground. I also like the fact that every FF is a little different. But I also think that it's possible to use from earlier games. It seems 3 build on 1 and 5 took from 3 and made it great. But honestly even though I see their faults there's just something about Square Enix that makes me exited to hear them talk every time even though they make so many mistakes. I truly wish they proved themselves wrong and had done something amazing for 30th Anniversary though. Seems this would be a better year for XV to come out.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I play from memory as well Winter, although mine is completely subconscious as I am able to go back to games months or years later and be fine (in most cases)
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited July 20
    What I find most interesting about the Wonderswan Color are the many Digimon RPGs for the handheld and its black and white predecessor.They star Ryo Akiyama, who would first appear in the anime proper in Tamers (though he does have a brief cameo in Adventure 02 and one of the movies). They tie into the anime and even loosely connect the first two series (Adventure 01, 02) with the third (Tamers). Their overall story is actually rather fascinating, if a little mind screwy.

But to be on-topic, I'm a late comer to the Final Fantasy series and my first game is probably one of the odder ones to start with: Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. I still have a fondness for the Crystal Chronicles sub-series, even though they're not favorites of mine (the original game still have one of my most favorite video game soundtracks of all time, however). I still have yet to play any of the main series games beyond VI and personally, I look forward to Square's more recent(ish) IPs like The World Ends With You and the Bravely series.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    First off, I really enjoyed the previous show on the review process. I always like behind the scenes stuff and the talk about "can't have too many 5/5 reviews" reminds me of College where I was in a major that grade inflation forgot.

As to Final Fantasy, it is just not a nostalgic touchstone for me. I was mostly a PC gamer growing up, mostly playing Sim City, Civilization, Wing Commander and TIE Fighter growing up. I never owned a SNES and didn't get a PS1 till the very end of it's life cycle so I missed out on that golden era of JRPGs. So FF VIII was the first I played and FF X was the only one I had finished till XV came out last year. I want to go back and play some of the older Final Fantasy games, it's just the one's I have tried so far (IV and VII) haven't clicked. I have fond memories of playing FF X in the back of a car driving to spring break, does that count?
  • Winter9Winter9 NorwayFull Members
    I hope you like them when you get to them Strawberry Eggs! I play Bravely now and it's a game to loose yourself in. Actually I'm going to my sister tomorrow and we will have two straight days of Bravelying together. She plays Second now, I'm only on the first. We just love to hang out together with each our handheld. Often we watch the 100 too. The hours fly fast..
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    I'm curious as to how, of if you are avoiding Bravely Second spoilers. Or maybe you don't mind. There's some particularly mind-blowing revelations in the last third of the game.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs